Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

cyberqat

Old July 16th, 2018, 02:45 PM
Realmworks image viewer is pretty limited. I already have programs oin my computer such as my web browser that can view images in much greater detail/size.

Can i configure RW to call one of these to display images?
cyberqat is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old July 16th, 2018, 02:49 PM
I would challenge that there is no need for huge size / detail in Realm Works. It's not a VTT tool and IMO should not be used as one. I've never come across an image I need to be more than 3000x3000 pixels.

What are you doing that needs more than this?

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
cyberqat

Old July 16th, 2018, 03:30 PM
Mapping my world progressively from World, to continent, to sub continent.

RW really cant handle the resolution necessary to read the labels at the sub continent level...

It auight to be childsplay to enaqble a call out to an external viewer. This is sort of external tool support has been derigeur in integrated environments for some time.

As is what youa re telling me is that I should really just give up on RW and go buy Fantasy Grounds or something like that...

Last edited by cyberqat; July 16th, 2018 at 03:32 PM.
cyberqat is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old July 16th, 2018, 03:41 PM
Sounds like a great project.

Have you considered cutting your maps up. That's how we generally do it.

This is Anna Meyer's world and a great example of how cutting it up can make it more manageable. Just link the pin to a topic that contains a more detailed map of that section.

I'm sure you could find a way to do the call. But in my experience I've had to host the files externally to Realm Works and then have Realm Works call them in a foreign application.

Realm Works is not the same as Fantasy Grounds. They are designed for different purposes. Personally I still use MapTools for example to show the players the maps on the table. If you objective is to just show the maps to the players I would recommend a VTT. Realm Works is better suited for documenting and mapping that world out in a way that makes it usable to you.

Personally I believe both applications have their place and purpose, in the way i run my games at least. All come's down to what you are trying to achieve.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
cyberqat

Old July 16th, 2018, 04:07 PM
Thanks thats helpful.

I dont suppose there is any way to share data btw RW and a VTT?
cyberqat is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old July 16th, 2018, 04:18 PM
Not natively - there's been talk over the years of Realm Works implementing an API but no traction on that.

If you have coding experience you might be able to do something with the export files but that I have zero experience with.

People have exported to HTML though.

I just keep two copies of my maps. Realm Works for organizing everything. The VTT has just a copy of the maps. Works a treat for me.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
cyberqat

Old July 16th, 2018, 05:18 PM
Well Im trying MapTool and Im liking it a lot for my project.

Biggest issues I see right now are documentation... but ocne I get over the learnign curve I suspect it will work very well.

I DO really hate video tutorials as primary documentation. I dunno why theya re so dman popular. (Thats really a BoT issue, not MapTools which has a decent wiki.)
cyberqat is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old July 16th, 2018, 07:26 PM
I only use MapTool to display the map and control the fog so can't help you beyond that I'm afraid. I still do everything else in Realm Works.

As the guy who makes most of the RW videos I'm in full support of their popularity

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old July 16th, 2018, 07:30 PM
This is one of RW's biggest failings. 3k pixel square maps look terrible on a 4k resolution monitor. The problem is that RW is a 32 bit application and simply cannot handle the memory and resources required for modern image sizes. With 1080p quickly coming to an end this may kill RW as a viable program if they do not upgrade it to 64 bit.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old July 16th, 2018, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
This is one of RW's biggest failings. 3k pixel square maps look terrible on a 4k resolution monitor. The problem is that RW is a 32 bit application and simply cannot handle the memory and resources required for modern image sizes. With 1080p quickly coming to an end this may kill RW as a viable program if they do not upgrade it to 64 bit.
I think I might have a monitor that is marketed as a 4K monitor, however its resolution is actually only 2560x1440. I don't have too much of a problem with the 3K picture limit.

I wouldn't say that 1080p is quickly coming to an end. Only "power users" are going for 4K. Here in the UK there isn't much 4K content available on TV channels.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #10 Reply With Quote