Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

jbearwillis

Old August 26th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Is this for Savage Worlds or Pathfinder, I'm a bit confused as to what your asking.
jbearwillis is online now   #81 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:05 AM
Another one to add to the list... it would be nice to have the Menu Selection mechanic added to Hindrances as well as on Edges. The reason is that Hindrances are free and it's a useful mechanic for adding certain in-game effects that might otherwise be considered Edges but are not available for purchase as an Edge.

Alternately, and maybe this is a better way to handle it, add another Edge-type setup that is available for free in the same way Hindrances are... maybe call it In-Game Effects or something like that. I've been using it for various non-Hindrance/Edge type things like the various Deadlands "Veteran of the..." effects, the HoE Mutations, the Weird Wars Rome Legacy effects, and so on. It's not always clear to the players that such things are available as a "Hindrance" so adding another item there could be pretty helpful. Just keep in mind that they could be positive or negative effects so you need the capabilities of both Edges and Hindrances to be available there.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #82 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old September 4th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Another request... would it be possible to get sheet_standard1.dat and sheet_standard2.dat unlinked, if you will, from the compiled data files? What I mean by that is I think I have some decent understanding of how to modify those files to make a character sheet and I think I can do that easier than I've been able to figure out trying to do any of that using XML for the Custom Output stuff so if we could have those files modifiable such that they would be read when we actually generate a sheet (or at least read when we load up the game system in HL) it might give us a bit more flexibility with what's we want on our sheets. Maybe even adding a page 3 or even 4 to that, if that's possible.

EDIT: Turns out we can already do this! (And thanks to Mathias for letting me know how). I've made an "Extended" version of the character sheet available here on the forum (see Extended Character Sheets) for anyone interested. So please feel free to ignore this request.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)

Last edited by zarlor; October 11th, 2013 at 07:24 AM.
zarlor is offline   #83 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 5th, 2013, 02:08 PM
I'd recommend adding a list expression to the Hindrances table, that tests for a Hide tag. For example:

Code:

<list><![CDATA[
  !Hide.Hindrance
  ]]></list>
That way, in DL: Noir, every character can have the Poverty hindrance bootstrapped, and those characters who take something else that cancels that automatic hindrance will no longer see it (since the other pick assigned the tag to Poverty that hides it). Here's the thread this is from: http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=45651

Oh, a reminder - when adding list expressions that hide things, it's best to add this setting to the table:

alwaysupdate="yes"

Otherwise, even after the tag had been assigned, the pick wouldn't be hidden until the user switched tabs and switched back, or added/deleted something else from that table (Hero Lab tries to save computational cycles by minimizing how often it tests list expressions on tables, but in this case, that's not the behavior you want).

This'll need to be applied to all the things that display hindrances - the Edges tab, the summary panels, the dashboard, the tactical console, the printout, and the statblock (and anywhere else that they're displayed that I forgot about).

Oh, and you may want to make this more generic - Hide.Edge, perhaps, and then have the same list expression on the edges, hindrances, and rewards tables, so that the same behavior is available in all those cases. (Hide.Ability already exists, and means something slightly different - otherwise, I'd have recommended that as the tag to use). If there's a term in Savage Worlds that covers Edges, Hindrances, Rewards, and things that are similar to them, use that term instead.
Mathias is online now   #84 Reply With Quote
atimrogers

Old September 13th, 2013, 01:46 PM
I mentioned this in a separate thread, but I'd like to see stacked weapons marked on the character sheet. Right now, you can see 3x rope in gear, but not 3x daggers in weapons (you just see one dagger).

Is this an easy fix?

Thanks,
Tim
atimrogers is offline   #85 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 13th, 2013, 09:49 PM
I don't know right off-hand. I'll look into it over the weekend and let you know.

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Fantasy Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is offline   #86 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 13th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Zarlor, can your request about in-game effects can use either Temporary or Permanent Adjustments?

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Fantasy Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is offline   #87 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old September 14th, 2013, 05:17 AM
Yes, either. In essence it would be nice to have something to handle some of the non-Edge/Hindrance things but that otherwise can do all the same things that Edges and Hindrances can. The thing itself is likely permanent (just like an Edge or a Hindrance) but could have temporary or otherwise conditional effect. I'm not sure what to call them, though. They wouldn't necessarily be "rewards". Think of the "Veteran of the Weird West" card draw effects or Mutations in Hell on Earth or even becoming Harrowed after character creation. It's a permanent thing that happens to the character and maybe it just adds an Edge or a Hindrance, but sometimes they do special other things just like an Edge or Hindrance would. But these things are acquired in game in a way that would not cost an advance. If it's a character-creation only thing then for now I can add it as an Edge that pays for itself (or a Hindrance that provides no reward), after that I've mostly just been adding them as Hindrances because the mechanic for them being free is already built-in for that. But it's really neither of those things.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually

Last edited by zarlor; October 11th, 2013 at 07:18 AM.
zarlor is offline   #88 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old October 11th, 2013, 07:16 AM
It might be nice to have a Tag and a checkbox in the editor for showing Animal-level intelligence. That would also need to add an "(A)" after the Smarts value on the character sheet, on the Basics column in HL, etc., as well.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually

Last edited by zarlor; October 11th, 2013 at 07:19 AM.
zarlor is offline   #89 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old October 11th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atimrogers View Post
I mentioned this in a separate thread, but I'd like to see stacked weapons marked on the character sheet. Right now, you can see 3x rope in gear, but not 3x daggers in weapons (you just see one dagger).

Is this an easy fix?

Thanks,
Tim
That should be a fairly easy fix (just check those things as "stackable") but generally speaking weapons tend to be set so they are not stackable, I think mostly because they really are separate items in most cases (only one Sword fits into a scabbard, etc.) Dagger might be an exception since presumably you could have some kind of bandolier or other method for holding multiples (boot/sleeve scabbards and such). So I guess I can see that as being useful for small things, like daggers, knives, darts, etc., but personally I think they should stay un-stacked for larger objects.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #90 Reply With Quote