Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Cortex System

Notices

Craftzero

Old July 17th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Thank you for your help on the previous threads. I do have a question, though. I'm modifying this for my own game system (based on Cortex) - that includes spells. How would you suggest I handle it? An asset is what gives the option for characters to buy these spells (with AP). But where would I put these spells..?
Craftzero is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 17th, 2009, 10:44 AM
The problem with adding the capability to handle spells has been the lack of examples. So far there are only two example spell sets - the very generic dozen in the Core rules, and a few from Demon Hunters, but there are very few rules for how to set them up in any of the games.

Would you mind posting the rules for how your setting's spells work? That way I can make sure that once I do support spells, I support yours, too (for example, based on the other two systems, I hadn't planned on adding the option to charge AP for them).

In the meantime, the best thing I can come up with for recording purposes is to add them as d0 Assets, and then have your players record the AP expenditures on the Journal page (you can add a negative AP journal to represent spending AP on something that can't be handled with the advancement mechanisms).

Reason #2 for spells not being in the initial release was of course time - A number of the optional additions to the Core rules didn't make it in, in favor of adding the basics of all 5 games.

Last edited by Mathias; July 17th, 2009 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Added reason #2
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
tezrak

Old July 28th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Could there not just be a generic "magic-user" talent as a placeholder for however magic is defined in a given setting? Establish that a character has talent with magic, and then go from there.

Since I personally prefer the skill-based method that is described in the core rulebook, but would still want my players to take a talent to start things off, why not make it a d6 talent--this can unlock the ability to take a skill related to the kind of magic they practice, and then can specialize accordingly. On the other hand, some people will prefer to keep magic talent only, and use the spells as complex, rather than simple actions as if magic was skill-based.

Regardless of which method you want to use to represent magic, there should still be a "default" that then can be further defined in-universe to reflect how magic is handled in the setting.

As far as spells are concerned, perhaps the # of spells that the character knows, or has access to in a given day, can be defined by the level of the trait or skill/specialty that defines the character's method of spellcasting. Granted, this will be heavily influenced by setting flavor, but again there should be some sort of default (spells per day, get a new spell when your trait or skill increases, cast x number of spells spontaneously from a given list equal to your trait or skill value...something).

My two cents, for what it's worth.
tezrak is offline   #3 Reply With Quote