Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

EightBitz

Old January 30th, 2017, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
So thinking this through.

I want to enter alot of data and need to understand the efficiency gains that can be made with this process.

lets say i have 300 of the same articles to enter. I'm thinking about items currently.

Article Name:
Type:
Group:
Rarity:
Description:
History:
Abilities/Effects:
Curse:

Would it be possible to put all the information into a spreadsheet and then manipulate the spreadsheet to output a text string in an XML format that could then be turned into an import file and loaded into RW?
I'm going to say it's not that straightforward. I mentioned in another post that once you add cover art in the export window, there's no way to delete it. So I tried to get rid of it manually.
  1. I did a full export of my realm.
  2. I deleted the encoded data for the cover art.
  3. I left the XML structure in place. I only deleted the data.
  4. I imported that back into RW.
  5. Doing so produced an error.

I tried the exact same thing with the exact same realm, but without making any edits, and it imported fine. This indicates that it's not JUST the data. It seems as if there's a checksum value or something equivalent.

I haven't dug deeper. I submitted the error file to support, but haven't heard back yet.
EightBitz is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old January 30th, 2017, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
You can Mail Merge into XML?
XML is just text with tags that give some meaning to programs and people that understand those tags. A mail merge template can have whatever text you want. Run the mail merge with an appropriate template, save as plain text, and you have a file containing XML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I think he means he creates a bunch of mail merge documents and then runs a VBA script to extract the plain text from them.
I used VBA to automate and customize the process for non-technical volunteers that needed to do these same things, but you wouldn't need it for this.

Parody is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old January 30th, 2017, 06:25 PM
Genius... If I can figure this out productivity is going to more than double

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 30th, 2017, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
I tried the exact same thing with the exact same realm, but without making any edits, and it imported fine. This indicates that it's not JUST the data. It seems as if there's a checksum value or something equivalent.

I haven't dug deeper. I submitted the error file to support, but haven't heard back yet.
In your case, I think you said that you kept the XML tags for the cover picture, and merely deleted the data. It would probably work if you deleted the tags that surrounded the data as well.
Farling is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 30th, 2017, 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
XML is just text with tags that give some meaning to programs and people that understand those tags. A mail merge template can have whatever text you want. Run the mail merge with an appropriate template, save as plain text, and you have a file containing XML.
There are web sites where you can upload a CSV and it will generate a simple XML file for you
Farling is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old January 31st, 2017, 12:01 AM
I admit it up front: I have no knowledge concerning XML.

But I just had a look at my excel and I can "save as" "other formats" "XML".

Would it be that simple?

I haven't tested (not sure what I should test).

This looked interesting: http://www.excel-easy.com/examples/xml.html

If I can find the time, I will have a closer look one of these weeks.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Last edited by Vargr; January 31st, 2017 at 12:04 AM.
Vargr is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 31st, 2017, 03:07 AM
It is almost that easy.

Excel will export a workbook as XML if you provide it an XSD schema, a XML stylesheet basically, then you map the parts of the sheet to the elements in the stylesheet. Then you can export to XML.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old January 31st, 2017, 04:16 AM
Thank you for the explanation.

That seems like it could come in handy!

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old January 31st, 2017, 04:20 AM
So... is it possible to create a RW style sheet?

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old January 31st, 2017, 04:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
There are web sites where you can upload a CSV and it will generate a simple XML file for you
Which isn't all that helpful if you don't know how to proceed from "table in CSV format" or "dataset tagged with XML" to "data ready for import into Realm Works" (or whatever the destination happens to be). You need a whole workflow. If you already know how to use Mail Merge then you can use that as part of the solution. If you already know how to write transformations then that can work for you too. If you don't know any way to get between them I doubt you'll care how you get there as long as you get from point A to point B with as little hassle as possible. (Probably by letting other people write it for you. :)

Excel can output spreadsheet data in XML formats using its schema or a mapping you provide, if either works better for you. That's only one part of the puzzle, though, just like a site that takes a table in CSV and spits out similar data in an XML format.

Last edited by Parody; January 31st, 2017 at 04:53 AM.
Parody is offline   #30 Reply With Quote