Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

MNBlockHead

Old December 5th, 2015, 03:43 PM
Not working again. It would be a nice feature to have working. I don't use it often but when I've been working on a set of topics or articles and close RW with a work in progress, when I open it again to work some more, the last article opened opens, but the navigation is fully expanded and scrolled to the top. Scrolling down and looking for the container I want to be working in so that I can view sibling topics is getting to be enough of an area of process friction that the CNTRL+= hot key would be nice. But neither the hot key nor the menu item are working for this again.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old December 5th, 2015, 10:31 PM
Well, it works for me - at least the menu option (version ....207).

And the short cut works as well - although I with my Danish keyboard need to press CTRL + +
It seems the short cuts are tied to the key codes and not the characters on the keys.

Perhaps you have a program, that has taken over some keys as global hot keys?

An option to set your own short cuts would be nice - somewhere down the road :-)

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old December 6th, 2015, 03:00 AM
It seems to work for me as well in 207. If I scroll the Navigation Pane so that the current Topic/Article isn't showing and press Ctrl-=, the Navigation Pane is scrolled back to show the current Topic/Article. When I close Realm Works and reopen it, the Navigation Pane is scrolled to show the current Topic/Article in the frontmost tab (even if I'd scrolled it off the screen before closing RW).

It doesn't work if I've switched to a view that doesn't have the current Topic/Article, FWIW. I'm not sure if I'd expect it to do anything if the current Topic/Article isn't in the current Navigation, but perhaps RW could tell you why nothing happened with a "don't show this again" checkbox.

Parody is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old September 25th, 2016, 10:45 PM
I don't know if it was the most recent update, but this feature is no longer working.

CNTRL+= or selecting "show in current navigation" from the wrench menu is doing nothing.

This is one of those features I do not use a great deal, but every now and then it would be very helpful.

MNBlockHead is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old September 26th, 2016, 05:01 AM
FWIW: working for me in 215.

Parody is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old September 26th, 2016, 08:58 PM
Yeah, it's got to be something with my system.

I'll need to experiment with closing things until I can determine what is preventing this from working.

Though, I would think that any conflict would only affect the shortcut, not the menu item.

MNBlockHead is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
kad

Old September 30th, 2016, 01:12 PM
I just did a little experimentation with this on my Alienware laptop, which has the = as the primary character on a key to the left of the backspace (shift on that key is +) and the thing I found was that if I have the World or Story navigator up on the left and I have a Mechanics article open in a tab, click that tab and then press Ctrl-=, it does not work. I expected it to switch the left pane to the mechanics pane and then center, but it does not. The reverse (mechanics pane open, world/story article open) also responds the same way. As long as the article type you have open is the same as the navigator pane type, it works. Still a very handy feature though.
kad is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 30th, 2016, 05:34 PM
@kad: That's the intended behavior. We don't ever swap out what you're using viewing within the navigation pane. What if you've got a custom view in the navigation pane? Or a filtered set of topics? Should we discard that to show you the topic/article in a list that it actually appears within? That seems inappropriate to us, and it further introduces the complications of the user being able to instantly recognize how to get back to the previous view. So the behavior is limited to showing the content within the current navigation pane only if it exists there.

We intend to extend this mechanism further. There are times you'll want to use the "center on" mechanism with navigation views like plots and smart images. We don't have this in place yet, but imagine being able to "highlight" the map pin or plot point that references the topic/article currently being shown in the content pane. That could be extremely useful IMHO!

Hope this makes sense!
rob is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old September 30th, 2016, 07:37 PM
If this is expected then perhaps RW should show a dialog telling the user why it couldn't complete their request.

(An addition would be letting it succeed and making the Back button restore navigation with the previous context. There are already other places where RW frustrates me by changing the Navigation pane without being able to undo it.)

Last edited by Parody; September 30th, 2016 at 07:39 PM.
Parody is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old October 1st, 2016, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
We intend to extend this mechanism further. There are times you'll want to use the "center on" mechanism with navigation views like plots and smart images. We don't have this in place yet, but imagine being able to "highlight" the map pin or plot point that references the topic/article currently being shown in the content pane. That could be extremely useful IMHO!
Have the pin highlighted for the topic currently in view would be great!

MNBlockHead is offline   #20 Reply With Quote