Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Mara

Old May 23rd, 2014, 01:45 AM
I did not see this in the FAQ, so:
If I want Realmsworks primarily for my own use to keep the info
for me more as an advanced form of note-taking program, do
I still have to use the Cloud services? Is it possible to make
use of Realmsworks without using the Cloud or is that required
for functionality?
Mara is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 23rd, 2014, 02:09 AM
There is NO requirement for the cloud services. The only tasks for which you need an internet connection are: (a) realm creation, (b) getting updates, and (c) content sharing. Of those three, the only one you need the cloud services for is content sharing, which won't be a concern given your stated use of the product.

If you're worried about the first item above (realm creation), we suggest in our FAQ that you pre-create a number of realms so you always have one available when you need it.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old May 23rd, 2014, 03:19 AM
Also account creation and realm deletion. (To be complete. :)

Last edited by Parody; May 23rd, 2014 at 03:22 AM.
Parody is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 23rd, 2014, 03:52 AM
I assumed account creation was part of getting the first "update", as it were, but I guess it's technically a separate operation. I forgot about realm deletion. Thanks!
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old May 23rd, 2014, 04:43 AM
Rob I assume a lot of these questions are less about trusting LW that their site will be up but possibly pricing. I love the cloud. I want the cloud, but say I didn't, and say you we're already in the subscription model. Is creating the realm always free once you pay for the software, or is it only in the beginning. In other words, if anew user were to purchase the software, and only create 1 realm, and then 1 year later, could he or she create another without having to pay for cloud service? I guess I'm asking do you keep a "free" account for the purpose of maintaining your realms locally? Creating new ones, deleting, etc. I realize the is a pricing question, but I think a lot of the questions about cloud usage to a certain degree revolve around that.

Part of my point in asking this is if you do enable users to always add/delete realms no matter f they have cloud usage, you could update your documentation to clearly differentiate cloud usage, and "Internet required account maintenance" and that might alleviate a lot of concerns.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by mirtos; May 23rd, 2014 at 04:46 AM.
mirtos is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 23rd, 2014, 05:00 AM
Creating/deleting realms will ALWAYS be free. You need to do it through the server JUST IN CASE you change your mind in the future and want to leverage the cloud service. But that's the only reason for it.

Does that help alleviate the concerns?
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old May 23rd, 2014, 05:27 AM
Rob, I had a feeling that was the case. I couldnt imagine it wouldnt be otherwise. I guess, though, that people who dont know the company as well could imagine otherwise. I havent read the documentation recently, so it might have been updated, made more clear, but it might be worth putting such a statement on the documentation/website. If such a statement is clear on both the website and the docs, then just tell me to shut up.

Again, just my two cents. take them for what they're worth... not much.
mirtos is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mara

Old May 23rd, 2014, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Creating/deleting realms will ALWAYS be free. You need to do it through the server JUST IN CASE you change your mind in the future and want to leverage the cloud service. But that's the only reason for it.

Does that help alleviate the concerns?
Thank you for your time. This answered my question the best, BTW.
Mara is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old May 23rd, 2014, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
I assumed account creation was part of getting the first "update", as it were, but I guess it's technically a separate operation. I forgot about realm deletion. Thanks!
Account creation was a bit pedantic on my part. I mean, I could have said "purchasing the software" too. ;)

Parody is offline   #9 Reply With Quote