Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 25th, 2020, 04:03 PM
Before this turns into a contentious subject...

Question: Why don't we allow free accounts to fully leverage content sharing the way D&D Beyond does?

Answers: Those free accounts aren't truly free with D&D Beyond. They are paid for by having to deal with an abundance of ads, and those ads are paid for by the companies behind those ads. All those ads are possible due to Twitch's massive ad-focused infrastructure that's designed for exactly that purpose. We don't have that option, and I'd resist going there even if it was available, so we introduced the low-cost Apprentice level to cover the costs of supporting those accounts. It's a little more than a dollar a month, which is probably a lot less than Twitch is bringing in from all those ads. And a whole lot less annoying for users (IMHO).

Last edited by rob; February 25th, 2020 at 04:06 PM.
rob is offline   #51 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old February 25th, 2020, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlugge View Post
Your entire comment fails on the simple fact that Wizards doesn't run D&D Beyond, Twitch does.
So instead of an $11 billion company running it is a $982 billion company. Hmm that seems like LWD's value right?
Toblakai is offline   #52 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 25th, 2020, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
So instead of an $11 billion company running it is a $982 billion company. Hmm that seems like LWD's value right?
Sold!
rob is offline   #53 Reply With Quote
Cheldog

Old February 26th, 2020, 05:30 AM
I've got a question regarding the Patron subscription. So, I have been using HLO for a while now and I really enjoy it. I own most of the content on HLO for Pathfinder 2E already, but I am not the GM for my group. If I purchase a Patron subscription to share my content with the rest of my group, is there a way to transfer GM capabilities of a campaign to someone else?
Cheldog is offline   #54 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 26th, 2020, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheldog View Post
If I purchase a Patron subscription to share my content with the rest of my group, is there a way to transfer GM capabilities of a campaign to someone else?
Not at the present time. That's definitely on the punch list, but it's not something we're targeting within the next month, at least.
rob is offline   #55 Reply With Quote
Cheldog

Old February 26th, 2020, 06:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Not at the present time. That's definitely on the punch list, but it's not something we're targeting within the next month, at least.
Alright, thanks. That said, there's no reason that I couldn't share my content with the other players for at least character creation and playing from the character sheets, right? The GM just wouldn't have access to the campaign management tools?
Cheldog is offline   #56 Reply With Quote
bruuuuuu

Old February 26th, 2020, 06:41 AM
Thanks for the work on this guys! It's not yet what I really need for my games, but it's good to see the product moving in that direction. I eagerly await the rest of the developments that I hope are on the horizon (if not on the nearer parts of the horizon).
bruuuuuu is offline   #57 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 26th, 2020, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheldog View Post
Alright, thanks. That said, there's no reason that I couldn't share my content with the other players for at least character creation and playing from the character sheets, right? The GM just wouldn't have access to the campaign management tools?
That would work. And the GM could also use the CT tools by creating Stand-In PCs for the players running from the character sheets. Then there would be a coordinated initiative tracking mechanism. And the GM could also use CT to setup scene scripts with assorted monsters and whatnot to enact onto the stage.
rob is offline   #58 Reply With Quote
Noigo

Old February 26th, 2020, 09:42 AM
I just purchased a HLO license for Shadowrun 6E, before the new licence options were rolled out. I would like to allow my players to use the character generation features themselves. How do I do that? Do I need to upgrade to Patron and they all need Apprentice?
Noigo is offline   #59 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 26th, 2020, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noigo View Post
I just purchased a HLO license for Shadowrun 6E, before the new licence options were rolled out. I would like to allow my players to use the character generation features themselves. How do I do that? Do I need to upgrade to Patron and they all need Apprentice?
Exactly.
rob is offline   #60 Reply With Quote