Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Sendric
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,743

Old February 25th, 2019, 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monteparnas View Post
Heroic Destiny, a feat from Races of Destiny, is appearing two times with just slightly different descriptions.

Gauntlets of Extended Range, from Magic Item Compendium, should double the range increment for throwing weapons (even improvised as such), but it isn't being computed.
Both fixed. Thanks for the report.
Sendric is offline   #851 Reply With Quote
Monteparnas
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 47

Old March 4th, 2019, 11:44 PM
I do imagine it was left behind because it is too hard to code and too broken for any sane game, but in the source Unearthed Arcana there is missing the feat Item Familiar.
Monteparnas is offline   #852 Reply With Quote
enjeruookami
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 5

Old March 12th, 2019, 01:17 AM
Hello,

I am a new user to the Hero lab d20 system. I was recently creating a druid with the ability to taking a black bear attempting to use the Natural bond feat. With my first attempt at just using the hero lab installed items I wasn't able to find the natural bond feat in the listed feats. I sent an email to support and as I await a reply i found the forums with the secondary source material. I followed the steps and nothing happened. I found the manual import files and I manually imported what I believe to be the current files and that is the Lawful_G_d20(v1.24) files and d20_StockP(v1.01) files. Upon uploading these items a bunch of things that was missing appeared, as well as the natural bond feat (yay). But now the feat isn't interacting as it is supposed to do and my hero lab shows my bear at being only lvl 1. I started as a lvl 1 druid and I just recently leveled up my character but the bear is still just lvl one and because it doesnt fully recognize the validity of the feat to the bear it says lvl 0+3 and thinks that there are too many levels or if you look at the bear profile it says bear lvl 1-3. Did I do something wrong? I have attached my .por for those to view and tell me whats up.
Attached Files
File Type: email Idhel.por (42.6 KB, 2 views)
enjeruookami is offline   #853 Reply With Quote
Sendric
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,743

Old March 12th, 2019, 06:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjeruookami View Post
Hello,

I am a new user to the Hero lab d20 system. I was recently creating a druid with the ability to taking a black bear attempting to use the Natural bond feat. With my first attempt at just using the hero lab installed items I wasn't able to find the natural bond feat in the listed feats. I sent an email to support and as I await a reply i found the forums with the secondary source material. I followed the steps and nothing happened. I found the manual import files and I manually imported what I believe to be the current files and that is the Lawful_G_d20(v1.24) files and d20_StockP(v1.01) files. Upon uploading these items a bunch of things that was missing appeared, as well as the natural bond feat (yay). But now the feat isn't interacting as it is supposed to do and my hero lab shows my bear at being only lvl 1. I started as a lvl 1 druid and I just recently leveled up my character but the bear is still just lvl one and because it doesnt fully recognize the validity of the feat to the bear it says lvl 0+3 and thinks that there are too many levels or if you look at the bear profile it says bear lvl 1-3. Did I do something wrong? I have attached my .por for those to view and tell me whats up.
Natural Bond only increases your effective Druid level if you have class levels in something other than Druid. So your character's Druid level is 2 with or without Natural Bond. You cannot increase your Druid level to something above your character level even with this feat.

Hope that answers your question and welcome to Hero Lab!
Sendric is offline   #854 Reply With Quote
enjeruookami
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 5

Old March 12th, 2019, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
Natural Bond only increases your effective Druid level if you have class levels in something other than Druid. So your character's Druid level is 2 with or without Natural Bond. You cannot increase your Druid level to something above your character level even with this feat.

Hope that answers your question and welcome to Hero Lab!
Snedric,

Thank you for responding to my question. With regards to how Natural Bond is supposed to work in regards to being able to take the alternate animal companion is the negative and positive modifiers are simultaneous. You can apply your modifiers in the most beneficial order. Outside of standard order of operations (remember, addition and subtraction are simultaneous). When you summon a bear there is a -3 to your effective druid level (not actual subtraction from physical level, but just a balance modification if you will). When you take the Natural Bond feat you gain a +3 effective druid lvl. This feat has nothing to do with your lvl stats but just your effective druid lvl. So you take the penalty for summoning a bear, and then the feat give you a bonus that puts you back up.
enjeruookami is offline   #855 Reply With Quote
Illyahr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 266

Old March 12th, 2019, 09:29 AM
The feat states it can never make your effective druid level exceed your character level. If you are level 2, it can't raise you past that
Illyahr is offline   #856 Reply With Quote
enjeruookami
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 5

Old March 12th, 2019, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illyahr View Post
The feat states it can never make your effective druid level exceed your character level. If you are level 2, it can't raise you past that
You are correct. The feat doesn't make my effective druid level exceed my character level. The -3 penalty from the bear drops me from a level 2 effective druid level to a -1 effective druid level and then then feat brings me up from a -1 druid level to a lvl 2 druid level.
enjeruookami is offline   #857 Reply With Quote
Sendric
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,743

Old March 12th, 2019, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjeruookami View Post
Snedric,

Thank you for responding to my question. With regards to how Natural Bond is supposed to work in regards to being able to take the alternate animal companion is the negative and positive modifiers are simultaneous. You can apply your modifiers in the most beneficial order. Outside of standard order of operations (remember, addition and subtraction are simultaneous). When you summon a bear there is a -3 to your effective druid level (not actual subtraction from physical level, but just a balance modification if you will). When you take the Natural Bond feat you gain a +3 effective druid lvl. This feat has nothing to do with your lvl stats but just your effective druid lvl. So you take the penalty for summoning a bear, and then the feat give you a bonus that puts you back up.
Hmm....that's a good point that wasn't factored into the equation. Let me look into what it would take to resolve that.
Sendric is offline   #858 Reply With Quote
enjeruookami
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 5

Old March 12th, 2019, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
Hmm....that's a good point that wasn't factored into the equation. Let me look into what it would take to resolve that.

Cool, Thanks. Might I suggest that instead of the animal companion checking to see if the druid level meet the requirements but instead apply the actual penalty to the effective druid level and then allowing the feat to correct that?
enjeruookami is offline   #859 Reply With Quote
Monteparnas
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 47

Old March 12th, 2019, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjeruookami View Post
You are correct. The feat doesn't make my effective druid level exceed my character level. The -3 penalty from the bear drops me from a level 2 effective druid level to a -1 effective druid level and then then feat brings me up from a -1 druid level to a lvl 2 druid level.
The actual wording of Animal Companion on this regard is:
"Should she select an animal companion from one of these alternative lists, the creature gains abilities as if the character's druid level were lower than it actually is."

As similar as it seems to be, this is not a penalty. It isn't taking out your Druid level to let you get the Companion, it is teaching you how the Companionacquires benefits, while Natural Bond gives you a bonus to effective Druid level.

You cannot use Natural Bond to offset this.
Monteparnas is offline   #860 Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
wolflair.com copyright ©1998-2016 Lone Wolf Development, Inc. View our Privacy Policy here.