Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Aleslosh

Old February 15th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Is this a feature in RW? There are times when notes must be passed from the DM to the PC and vise versa. It would be great if this was included in the software. Add to this functionality the ability to keep the conversations as a running log would make this a very impressive aspect of the software.
Aleslosh is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Gord

Old February 19th, 2014, 08:35 AM
Keeping that kind of note as a running log would indeed be useful. It's still going to be pretty obvious that notes are passed unless it could be done offline and logged as well though.

If nothing else, getting notes as something other than most of my players illegible scrawl, would make things easier.
Gord is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Mystic Lemur

Old February 25th, 2014, 08:31 AM
This would be nice, but only feasible if every player had their own device at the table. Too much clutter, and if they all have devices anyway, why not send you a text message or email?
Mystic Lemur is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
pyremius

Old February 25th, 2014, 06:41 PM
As Gord said, logging. A reasonably large subset of such notes would end up documented in Realm Works anyhow (specific pieces of treasure stolen, conversations overheard, etc.) that it's worth considering as a capability or plug-in.
pyremius is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Alarian

Old March 1st, 2014, 05:22 PM
Most phones now days have this feature built in. Text Messaging. And while many people don't have tablets and computers to bring to the table most have a phone that's capable of texting.
Alarian is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
soulfly

Old March 28th, 2014, 09:18 PM
I would like the ability to select only certain players to receive a message from the DM to the PC. For example 3 out of 6 players made a successful perception check, I send them the message directly and the other three players have to learn it from the players instead of overhearing me.
soulfly is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
jerrycnh

Old March 29th, 2014, 10:33 AM
I would think that this would be outside Realm Works' purview, as most "real time" stuff would be the function of whatever RTT software you were integrating Realm Works with.

In any case, when my players have tablets/phones at the table, I just use Skype. So a feature like that in Realm Works might be nice, but would ultimately be redundant.

Now what would be REALLY nice is a customized reveal to, say, show a snippet to Player 1 while still hiding it from Player 2. But that would probably require extensive rewriting of the code, given the way it's currently designed, and even I have to admit that the work would not be worth the reward, since it's fairly rare to need that kind of tweaking.
jerrycnh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 29th, 2014, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrycnh View Post
Now what would be REALLY nice is a customized reveal to, say, show a snippet to Player 1 while still hiding it from Player 2. But that would probably require extensive rewriting of the code, given the way it's currently designed, and even I have to admit that the work would not be worth the reward, since it's fairly rare to need that kind of tweaking.
As has been mentioned in other threads, we have the underlying support for this in place. It is a matter of coming up with the appropriate, simple user interface to make this happen. Coming up with simple things can be hard at times....
davidp is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old April 22nd, 2014, 03:35 AM
This is another case for why LAN support would be useful.....
I currently utilize an IM messenger within a LAN that does EXACTLY this. It allows me to send / Receive group IMs or send to one player as a private note. It documents all "notes" for the session allowing it to be saved as a txt file or HTML. I find it very useful for recordkeeping what was said. The hassle is consolidating that information into Herolab & Masterplan (I have "hopes" that RW will replace MP based on the promises of LAN support and integration with HL)
The interface works via IPs within my LAN.. seems it would not be a big leap to have RW operating in a similar fashion. either via a LAN or Bluetooth.... thus not requiring more / multiple things managing a game session. (ie your phone as some suggested) All of my players have a laptop w/ HL installed. I recognize not all utilize it that way. HOWEVER, with the paperless age upon us it is increasingly unlikely that most don't have a laptop or tablet anyway. for those that don't , utilizing a Bluetooth link would suffice for this application as well IF RW had the capability to capture all those IMs as txt or snipits?
The "goal" is to have one software (RW?) to consolidate all gaming information so the DM can streamline and manage the "papertrail" aspects of gameplay, NOT to add even more fractured pieces to further have to regurgitate information thru into a single source.
just my two CP

Last edited by Dark Lord Galen; April 22nd, 2014 at 03:37 AM.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old April 23rd, 2014, 04:26 PM
RW is unique, and it should IMO focus on that toolset. There are plenty of other programs/phones that can do what this thread is asking for. It's like saying we want RW to send e-mails to our players so it can keep track of that content too. And what about making maps, shouldn't RW do that too?
No, let them focus on the tools that are its specialty. Once that is done (right!), then they can worry about VTT functions.
Bidmaron is offline   #10 Reply With Quote