Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

daplunk

Old June 15th, 2018, 06:51 PM
Hi Everyone!

It's time to ensure LWD and WOTC know that we as consumers would like access to official Dungeons and Dragons 5e content within Hero Lab!

Please take the time to sign the petition and lets see if we can get their attention. Click the picture!

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Fenris447

Old June 18th, 2018, 07:37 AM
Not to be too contrarian, but I like the current state. I buy every book as it comes out, and I like not having to buy it all again digitally just to get it on Hero Lab.

I'm looking at you, D&DB.
Fenris447 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old June 18th, 2018, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris447 View Post
Not to be too contrarian, but I like the current state. I buy every book as it comes out, and I like not having to buy it all again digitally just to get it on Hero Lab.

I'm looking at you, D&DB.
D&DB shade aside, the current state and having official content available for purchase are compatible - you don't have to buy any pre-made stuff - you just have to be willing to code stuff in yourself (or hint: make a copy/backup of all the COMmunity files in your 5e folder, because the community will stop publishing official content if LW gets a license).

What I don't want to see is having to buy it for both HL and RW for the same price - which is why I would rather see a HL and RW merge somehow.
dungeonguru is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 20th, 2018, 06:37 PM
Keep in mind that if there is an official license you will have to pay for the books because the people who add the data have to get paid to do it. The Lone Wolf Staff doesn't work for free. And the Lone Wolf staff could easily implement features the community struggles with because they have full access to the source code, which the community does not get.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old June 20th, 2018, 07:14 PM
I would happily pay to avoid doing the work myself

CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Malevolus

Old June 21st, 2018, 10:02 AM
Honest reply that is not intended to be rude or disrespectful. Since Hero Lab has indicated their future business model will be ultimately moving to the online subscription model, my personal future purchases will just move to DND Beyond. The offline classic tool was an overall better tool but there is no real reason for me to choose Hero Lab anymore because WoTC obviously won’t allow their own sales to be undercut in pricing by Hero Lab.
Malevolus is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old June 21st, 2018, 03:22 PM
DDB is just another 3rd party company paying a license fee to WOTC. Curse aka Amazon set the price for their service. Therefore having more licensed products in the market will drive more competitive prices and innovation.

It's win win.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old June 21st, 2018, 09:38 PM
I hope that HL never goes to an online model like D&D Beyond, or WotC's online version from 4E.

I can't always play with an internet connection and have always found such to be a let down.

I fell in love with HL in its currect incarnation back when I played Pathfinder full time.

I'd love to see HL with a full license, and would pay for a 2nd set of books (Electronic) if its was available in HL.

I find D& DBeyond irritating in that in addition to having to buy the books, you also have to pay a month subscription if you want to have more than 2 characters. With HerLab, I've built dozens, if not hundreds of characters. I may not get to play them all, but they are there if I want them, or I need a fast character for a new player.

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old June 22nd, 2018, 02:46 PM
I honestly don't mind the current state - it's not like D&D even has enough content to make maintaining the community pack difficult.

On a positive note (and making my care for 'official 5e' even more moot), they are supposed to be supporting the PF Playtest on release.

Last edited by Fuzzy; July 5th, 2018 at 11:36 PM.
Fuzzy is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old June 28th, 2018, 09:55 PM
For those who keep mistaking D&D Beyond for a WoTC product or THE official character app for 5e (as opposed to AN official app), Roll 20 just released its character maker, which supports 5e.

I've not tried Roll 20's Charctermancer tool yet, but it looks promising. More competition is good. It also gives me hope that there will eventually be support for official 5e content in Hero Lab.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #10 Reply With Quote