Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

enrious

Old December 29th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Ok, I'm trying to figure out how to do two things:

1) I'm trying to force all character to select a Trait with the category "Ethnic", and they can only have 1. (Similar to "Social" and "Combat", but I think those are hardwired to not validate more than 1).

I've created the following Mechanic:

<thing id="MechEtnic" name="Ethnic Trait" compset="Mechanics" uniqueness="unique">
<evalrule phase="First" message="You must have exactly 1 Ethnic Trait." severity="warning">validif (tagcount[trCategory.Ethnic] = 1)</evalrule>
</thing>

When creating a character, it never seems to recognize a Trait I've created with the "Ethnic" custom category, an example of which is as follows:

<thing id="trScania" name="Caldimaran, Scanian" description="A native of the Scania nation on the Caldimaran continent." compset="Trait" uniqueness="useronce">
<usesource source="DifekLingv" parent="UserParent" name="Difekta Lingvo"/>
<tag group="trCategory" tag="Ethnic" name="Ethnic" abbrev="Ethnic"/>
<tag group="Helper" tag="NoPathSoc" name="Not Allowed for Pathfinder Society Characters" abbrev="Not Allowed for Pathfinder Society Characters"/>
<bootstrap thing="langscania"></bootstrap>
<eval phase="First">~ Add to traits allowed
hero.child[resTrait].field[resMax].value += 1</eval>
</thing>

What this does is basically always throw the error, even if that Trait is selected - thus it doesn't appear to be recognizing the category.

2) As I don't think I can easily edit a class like Rogue to grant an automatic language, how can I create a language that will grant a bonus language to Rogues if it's selected, but not grant the language otherwise.

In other words, create the language "Cant". If a Rogue selects it, it subtracts one from their available languages but then checks their class and sees that they're a Rogue and gives it back.

I tried doing something in the Eval Script like:

if (tagis[wGroup.cHelpRog] >= 1) then herofield[tLangsSpk].value += 1 endif

However, it doesn't work.

Any ideas? Yes, I know these can be done by having the players use the Permanent Adjustment function; I'm trying to avoid this however.
enrious is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
huntercc

Old December 30th, 2011, 06:50 AM
For #1, your problem is your script is looking for the Ethnic tag on the hero itself, rather than on the trait. The tag is attached to the trait, not to the hero. Try this script instead:

Code:
var found as number
found = 0

foreach pick in hero where "trCategory.Ethnic"
  found += 1
nexteach

validif (found = 1)

For #2, I don't think I've had enough coffee yet to understand what you're trying to do. Can you clarify?

Last edited by huntercc; December 30th, 2011 at 06:56 AM. Reason: just saw there were 2 items in original post
huntercc is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 30th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Also if you actually know how the trait system works from the Pathfinder Rule Books, the traits are set up in the books such that you cannot take more than one per category. You cannot have two combat or magic or faith traits. That is the way the game system is set up.
RavenX is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 30th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenX View Post
Also if you actually know how the trait system works from the Pathfinder Rule Books, the traits are set up in the books such that you cannot take more than one per category. You cannot have two combat or magic or faith traits. That is the way the game system is set up.
Sorry - those restrictions are hard-coded category-by-category. User created tag groups do need a new rule created for them.
Mathias is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
enrious

Old December 30th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntercc View Post
For #1, your problem is your script is looking for the Ethnic tag on the hero itself, rather than on the trait. The tag is attached to the trait, not to the hero. Try this script instead:

Code:
var found as number
found = 0

foreach pick in hero where "trCategory.Ethnic"
  found += 1
nexteach

validif (found = 1)
Lightbulb moment, thanks for the code and the explanation.

Quote:
For #2, I don't think I've had enough coffee yet to understand what you're trying to do. Can you clarify?
Essentially make Cant a selectable language, but give rogues a refund if they take it, so for them it'd effectively be free.
enrious is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
huntercc

Old December 30th, 2011, 01:28 PM
I tried this eval script successfully, at Post-Levels (Users) / 100

Code:
if (hero.tagcount[Classes.Rogue] <> 0) then
  herofield[tLangsSta].value += 1
endif
huntercc is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
enrious

Old December 31st, 2011, 06:59 PM
Thank you very much, it worked like a charm.
enrious is offline   #7 Reply With Quote