Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

wurzel

Old May 11th, 2018, 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo View Post
what i think is going on:
I think nothing is going on. Sometimes someone posts something to obscure the fact that RW is a dead piece of software that no longer continues to be developed and improved since it appears to be a cash sink. To admit that RW is dead could probably damage LWD's business in other areas so they keep the silence as long as possible.
They hired a new developer? Yes, maybe. But the person is probably spending time with HLO and other revenue-creating stuff.

DM: Tol'Uluk - game system independent homebrew world (so far AD&D 2, D&D3.5, Fate, Pathfinder, D&D5)
Tools: RW, CC3+, CD3, DD3, HL
RL: Retired senior IT manager. Now just housewife, grandma and fantasy author.
wurzel is offline   #411 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old May 11th, 2018, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo View Post
what i think is going on:
WotC has a oficial Digital tools set for D&D th5 it's called dndbeyond.com So all companies that like to use there content need a API from them.
This is a good start from WotC now we only need to buy the books ones + the standalone content for RW, roll20 or FG etc. dndbeyond is working hard on the thet api and the character sheets api when thet is done there rolling it out to the 3th partys. no one is aloud to talk about it by dndbeyond there like to bring the big news ofc..
Problem is WotC likes to come out with new editions, probably only a couple more years until 6th edition. They also like to fully drop support for old editions when the new one come out. So reliance on a WotC API is a bad idea.
Toblakai is offline   #412 Reply With Quote
Deo

Old May 11th, 2018, 08:25 AM
Well if dndbeyond is getting the 6th to..? then there is no extra work saves a lot of time and time is money. We will see when its there
Deo is offline   #413 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old May 11th, 2018, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
Problem is WotC likes to come out with new editions, probably only a couple more years until 6th edition. They also like to fully drop support for old editions when the new one come out. So reliance on a WotC API is a bad idea.
I don't know that WotC will repeat the direction they took with 4th edition. Not to start the version war here though, but I doubt they want to try it again. All the other editions (1, 2, 3 and 5) are similar enough that conversion between published content is not that hard.
dungeonguru is offline   #414 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old May 11th, 2018, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonguru View Post
I don't know that WotC will repeat the direction they took with 4th edition. Not to start the version war here though, but I doubt they want to try it again. All the other editions (1, 2, 3 and 5) are similar enough that conversion between published content is not that hard.
Anyone who trusts Hasbro to do anything but what some marketing exec thinks will make Hasbro money is making a grave mistake.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #415 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old May 11th, 2018, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Anyone who trusts Hasbro to do anything but what some marketing exec thinks will make Hasbro money is making a grave mistake.
This!
3.0 - 3.5 -> 3 years
3.5 - 4.0 -> 5 years
4.0 - 5.0 -> 6 years (4.0 was effectively abandoned after 4 years)
5.0 -> 4 years so far..

Average lifespan of a D&D version (under Hasbro) is 4,66yrs. When they abandon a version they do a slash and burn on their website for their old version.

New versions make lots of money.
Toblakai is offline   #416 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old May 11th, 2018, 03:45 PM
I think something different may happen this time.

It's not necessarily about the game this time. There's a heavy presence of brand creation going on. They have a very well recognised brand currently and if internet rumours are true, they are using that to step outside of the game boundaries and are using the power of the brand to sell license agreements.

I don't think you will see a new version, especially not a new logo, until there's a Netflix tv series and a movie.

There's also very few complaints about the system.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #417 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old May 11th, 2018, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
This!
3.0 - 3.5 -> 3 years
3.5 - 4.0 -> 5 years
4.0 - 5.0 -> 6 years (4.0 was effectively abandoned after 4 years)
5.0 -> 4 years so far..

Average lifespan of a D&D version (under Hasbro) is 4,66yrs. When they abandon a version they do a slash and burn on their website for their old version.

New versions make lots of money.
New versions do make money, but I don't think 3.5 should count as a different version from 3.0 - after all 3.0 and 3.5 WERE so compatible, you had to look at the version number on the inside of a book to determine which one you were looking at. Plus, all 3.0 material didn't have to be converted to play 3.5 - or even Pathfinder for that matter meaning that 3.0/3.5 has lived much longer although Paizo took it over. It is possible another company could do the same for 5e.

Recalculating your average then would put 8 years of 3/3.5 and 4 to 6 years of 4.0 meaning the average lifespan is closer to 6.5 years ([8+5]/2).

You can look at wikipedia and see that the list of books for each version and can tell that 3.0/3.5 was rivaling 2nd edition in bloat in a shorter time. 4e had a book a month plan and it was almost impossible to avoid a D&D Insider subscription to keep up.

5e is a calmer, slower beast. If they decided to go to 6th edition tomorrow to steal thunder from PF2 it would surprise me considering they haven't milked 5th edition profit from the online tools enough yet.
dungeonguru is offline   #418 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old May 11th, 2018, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonguru View Post
New versions do make money, but I don't think 3.5 should count as a different version from 3.0 - after all 3.0 and 3.5 WERE so compatible, you had to look at the version number on the inside of a book to determine which one you were looking at. Plus, all 3.0 material didn't have to be converted to play 3.5 - or even Pathfinder for that matter meaning that 3.0/3.5 has lived much longer although Paizo took it over. It is possible another company could do the same for 5e.

Recalculating your average then would put 8 years of 3/3.5 and 4 to 6 years of 4.0 meaning the average lifespan is closer to 6.5 years ([8+5]/2).

You can look at wikipedia and see that the list of books for each version and can tell that 3.0/3.5 was rivaling 2nd edition in bloat in a shorter time. 4e had a book a month plan and it was almost impossible to avoid a D&D Insider subscription to keep up.

5e is a calmer, slower beast. If they decided to go to 6th edition tomorrow to steal thunder from PF2 it would surprise me considering they haven't milked 5th edition profit from the online tools enough yet.
It wouldn't surprise me if they announce 6E in 2 years though, that will get through the milking phase more or less.
Toblakai is offline   #419 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old May 12th, 2018, 01:01 AM
At some point they will start seeing a drop off in sales of PHB's. A few months later they'll announce 6e.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #420 Reply With Quote