Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

KingThorvar

Old February 20th, 2014, 05:39 PM
Would anyone be willing to program my custom Miner class into a 3.5 data sheet? I'd be glad to compensate you for your efforts!

I'm simply no good at programming.

Miner.pdf
KingThorvar is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old February 21st, 2014, 09:37 AM
Try this. You should check out how it was done so you have an idea of how to proceed should you have another class you want to do.
Attached Files
File Type: email KingThorvar.user (14.3 KB, 8 views)
Sendric is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Bluephoenix

Old February 21st, 2014, 11:05 AM
that actually looks like a fairly easy one to learn with, I recommend giving it a try in the editor.

a short how to to get you started:
1) tool your looking for is the data file editor in tools > launch editor
2) from there you're going to want to create a base class ("class" tab), hit new(blank)
3) now enter appropriate details, for custom stuff I usually end the ident or begin it with a C, in this case CMi
4) now its a fairly simple fill in the fields job, making sure to set class skills and save/bab progression in the selectors
5) Class features. fortunately, your major ones, the bonus feats and animal companion are direct rips from other classes, so adding those is fairly trivial. select animal companion in "choose companion type" and make sure you put 1 in "companion at level"
6) fighter bonus feats are easy, simply count up as you go, putting the numbers in row(level-1) [example: 0=1, 1=2, 4=3, 7=4, etc]
7) set bonus feat allowed as "bonus for: fighter"

from here is where things get interesting. trhe easiest way to learn how to code class specials is to look for other class features that do the same thing or similar, and alter the effect as needed. (simply hit new(copy) in class specials and grab the one you want, remember to delete the record afterwards so as not to create a duplicate!)

for example, con to AC is done by the dwarven defender, so you could pull the appropriate special and then look at how the eval script is written to handle that.

for situational modifiers, (the touching the ground stuff) I would enter as a non-functional special with full text and leave it to the player to figure out if they meet the conditions and apply it as appropriate. HL isn't very good at very situational modifiers, about as far as it goes is permanent effects relating to other character options, like ninja or swashbuckler only using class abilities while unarmored.

aside from eval scripts for certain effects, most stuff is actually pretty straightforward. I suck at programming and I can still manage most things.

the help ?s are always your friend, and if you've searched and searched and there isn't an existing example of some oddball ability, that's what this forum is for
Bluephoenix is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
KingThorvar

Old February 21st, 2014, 06:38 PM
Sendric, I was getting some bootstrap errors, but I think I figured it out. This is wonderful! and so fast!

Bluephoenix, I really appreciate the pointers, and I'll keep trying!

Thanks to both of you for your help!

Last edited by KingThorvar; February 21st, 2014 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Was getting errors, fixed now.
KingThorvar is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old February 22nd, 2014, 05:20 AM
Alright. I did bootstrap a couple things from the community set. Maybe that was the issue. If you have any further problems, just ask.
Sendric is offline   #5 Reply With Quote