Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Lord

Old July 26th, 2010, 03:23 AM
I know, it's a newbe question, please bear with me.
I've read about the caps and I think it's a great idea but sometimes it seems to me the caps might be too limiting.
for example: if a character PL 5 increases his CHA score to 30 (possible by the rules IIRC) he wont benefit from investing in diplomacy skill at all. furthermore, feats like atractive wont matter too. no matter who he speaks with (same jender, other jender), he will still have the same max bonus of +10.
is this true ? will the skill cap of +10 encourage the player not to invest in such feats and skills just because he have high CHA score ?
thanks,
Lord is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 26th, 2010, 04:05 AM
"gender" It's a soft "g"

Assuming you're referring to 2E (since 3E hasn't been released), skill ranks and charisma bonus are entirely separate as per page 24. A PL 5 character can have a Charisma of 30 (+10 bonus) and a skill rank of 10 (+10 bonus) for a total of a +20 bonus. Attractive applies against skill ranks, so if you have Attractive on your PL 5 character, you will be limited to 6 skill ranks with the additional +4 for people who might find you attractive. Like all of the other situational feats, it does not let you break caps, just attain them in specific circumstances.

If you're speaking of 3E... eh, I'm not a big fan of how their scheme worked either, but that's up to Green Ronin and their marketing department.
Duggan is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Lord

Old July 26th, 2010, 07:38 AM
(thanks for the correction, I cant believe I made such a mistake)
yes, I meant the 2nd edition. thanks for the help.
did they publish a 3rd edition to the M&M ? is it on hero lab ? I havent seen any solid information about it (maybe I am looking in the wrong places).
Lord is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
atlarman

Send a message via MSN to atlarman Send a message via Yahoo to atlarman

Old July 26th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Hi Lord-
No 3E isnt out yet....its coming soon
DC Adventures(which uses the 3E rules ) is out- at least as a pdf- hardcover due sometime in august. welcome to the boards BTW.
atlarman is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Shadowchaser

Old July 26th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
(thanks for the correction, I cant believe I made such a mistake)
yes, I meant the 2nd edition. thanks for the help.
did they publish a 3rd edition to the M&M ? is it on hero lab ? I havent seen any solid information about it (maybe I am looking in the wrong places).
The DC Adventures PDF is available, but if you're looking for the hard copy (Book) form, it should be coming out in a few weeks. They plan to have some copies for sale at Gen Con in early August, and I expect the store at Green Ronin's website (as well as the rest of the world) will stock them shortly after that.

The DC Adventures is the first appearance of the third edition rules. If you'd like to read up on people's opinions and experiences with the rules you can head to the Atomic Think Tank. www.atomicthinktank.com

As for Hero Lab, Colen has announced that M&M 3E will be supported by a new ruleset, so it'll be another license to get it. Which is fine, there are many significant changes between the rules and I'm happy to pay for the extra license. Colen also says they'll continue to support the 2E rules, and are working on the idea of some cross-ruleset features, like an auto-convert feature which will help quickly convert characters from the old rules to the new rules.

So, there's lots of good news on the 3rd Edition front, and I'm already running a 3rd Edition Campaign and working on some supplements for next year.
Shadowchaser is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Lord

Old July 26th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowchaser View Post
The DC Adventures PDF is available, but if you're looking for the hard copy (Book) form, it should be coming out in a few weeks. They plan to have some copies for sale at Gen Con in early August, and I expect the store at Green Ronin's website (as well as the rest of the world) will stock them shortly after that.

The DC Adventures is the first appearance of the third edition rules. If you'd like to read up on people's opinions and experiences with the rules you can head to the Atomic Think Tank. www.atomicthinktank.com

As for Hero Lab, Colen has announced that M&M 3E will be supported by a new ruleset, so it'll be another license to get it. Which is fine, there are many significant changes between the rules and I'm happy to pay for the extra license. Colen also says they'll continue to support the 2E rules, and are working on the idea of some cross-ruleset features, like an auto-convert feature which will help quickly convert characters from the old rules to the new rules.

So, there's lots of good news on the 3rd Edition front, and I'm already running a 3rd Edition Campaign and working on some supplements for next year.
thanks,
I will purchase the 3rd edition extra when Colen will make it. since I am just starting my way with M&M, I cant tell what version is "better". I could assume that the 3rd edition will be better, but on the other hand, I do hate the 4th edition D&D rules and prefer the 3.5 ed ones, so, sometimes newer is not always better.
Thaks again
Lord is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Shadowchaser

Old July 26th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
thanks,
I will purchase the 3rd edition extra when Colen will make it. since I am just starting my way with M&M, I cant tell what version is "better". I could assume that the 3rd edition will be better, but on the other hand, I do hate the 4th edition D&D rules and prefer the 3.5 ed ones, so, sometimes newer is not always better.
Thaks again
No problem!

And welcome to the boards.
Shadowchaser is offline   #7 Reply With Quote