Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

atomicdragon

Old December 18th, 2017, 12:25 PM
I tried importing a .rwstructure file from another user and keep getting an error saying: "The structure file you chose is based on a game system that is not compatible with the current realm's game system, which is System Neutral. Imported structure files must either use the System Neutral game system, or use the same game system as the realm."
I'm using a system neutral realm, but I've also tried making a new realm using the structure file and each system option and have run into a similar error.
I'm hoping someone here might have some insight on how to solve this issue, thanks in advance.
atomicdragon is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
LazloZingo

Old December 19th, 2017, 04:30 PM
I saw someone post about this somewhere else. Open the file with a text editor. Find [game_system_id="1"] and change the 1 to a 3.
LazloZingo is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 20th, 2017, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazloZingo View Post
I saw someone post about this somewhere else. Open the file with a text editor. Find [game_system_id="1"] and change the 1 to a 3.
This would be a bad idea. Please don't do this.

The proper fix is to import the structure into a realm that is the same game system as the structure file. Find out from who created the structure file what game system it is intended for.

For those interested in the "why" of this being a bad idea:

Most likely the structure file has items from the specific game system. When you go and make this change and effectively lie to Realm Works, it can cause problems as now you have something in the realm referencing a game system that isn't the realm's game system. It can cause all sorts of data inconsistency issues and could lead to crashes since we haven't accounted for users going in and doing something like this. While we have tried to make things robust, we have focused our testing on following the rules. Doing this specifically violates the rules and so if you do this, I wouldn't be surprised if crashes occur or other bad things, including potential corruption of your data.

Last edited by davidp; December 20th, 2017 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Add emphasis
davidp is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old December 20th, 2017, 10:14 AM
these posts were prompted because they were trying to import my shadowrun categories from my Legacy realm.

Problem was I could not convert my Legacy realm to Other format.

After much gnashing of my teeth I was able to determine that the cause off the conversion failure was long text strings in the Storyboard sections.

After deleting these Storyboards I was able to export my Legacy realm, create a new, blank realm configured as "other" then import my Legacy realm export directly.

Then I exported the now complete "Other" realm both as a Category Structure and as a complete realm.

So it should be good to import now as long as your realm is set to "Other".

looks like i spoke too soon.

while I can import the legacy realm another user is unable to do this.

bug report logged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidp View Post
This would be a bad idea. Please don't do this.

The proper fix is to import the structure into a realm that is the same game system as the structure file. Find out from who created the structure file what game system it is intended for.

For those interested in the "why" of this being a bad idea:

Most likely the structure file has items from the specific game system. When you go and make this change and effectively lie to Realm Works, it can cause problems as now you have something in the realm referencing a game system that isn't the realm's game system. It can cause all sorts of data inconsistency issues and could lead to crashes since we haven't accounted for users going in and doing something like this. While we have tried to make things robust, we have focused our testing on following the rules. Doing this specifically violates the rules and so if you do this, I wouldn't be surprised if crashes occur or other bad things, including potential corruption of your data.

Last edited by adzling; December 21st, 2017 at 02:22 PM.
adzling is offline   #4 Reply With Quote