Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Fuzzy

Old August 23rd, 2018, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
"add-on for HLC" to me implies that the device has HLC installed and it adds online features to it. Please explain what you mean.

Have not seen a Android version, unless you are referring to RDP, which would be awful not to mention for those complaining about bandwidth, it would use probably around 1000 times as much data.
What I had hoped for (and asked for probably 4 or 5 years ago, I believe) is at minimum and API that other apps could access Hero Lab data from (turn on and off picks, etc.). At a minumum, that would allow others to create a variety of apps and such for viewing in whatever form they like - at a far extreme, it would enable VTT software to directly use Hero Lab's math for in-game effects, conditions, etc. Most importantly, this wold run on your own copy of hero lab classic, not depending on lone wolf's servers.
Fuzzy is offline   #61 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old August 23rd, 2018, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
What I had hoped for (and asked for probably 4 or 5 years ago, I believe) is at minimum and API that other apps could access Hero Lab data from (turn on and off picks, etc.). At a minumum, that would allow others to create a variety of apps and such for viewing in whatever form they like - at a far extreme, it would enable VTT software to directly use Hero Lab's math for in-game effects, conditions, etc. Most importantly, this wold run on your own copy of hero lab classic, not depending on lone wolf's servers.
This wouldn't be very practical. it also doesn't really solve the problem of access from my android device when I am not at home. Not everyone knows how to setup a VPN to their home, or to expose and secure there own public HL server. Your idea sounds nice, but in reality it is not practical.
Toblakai is offline   #62 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old August 23rd, 2018, 08:16 AM
Quote:
This wouldn't be very practical. it also doesn't really solve the problem of access from my android device when I am not at home. Not everyone knows how to setup a VPN to their home, or to expose and secure there own public HL server. Your idea sounds nice, but in reality it is not practical.
It could still be offered as a cloud linked service, for the subscription fee - "A hybrid Approach" we'll call it - I just don't like tying anyone to the online only model - And neither did Rob 6 years ago when I first asked about this:
Attached Images
File Type: gif No Hero Lab Online.gif (71.5 KB, 238 views)
Fuzzy is offline   #63 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old August 23rd, 2018, 08:23 AM
Quote:
It could still be offered as a cloud linked service, for the subscription fee - "A hybrid Approach" we'll call it - I just don't like tying anyone to the online only model - And neither did Rob 6 years ago when I first asked about this:
Rob has apparently changed his mind. Connectivity has greatly improved in the last 6 years, and is only going to get better.
Toblakai is offline   #64 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old August 23rd, 2018, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Rob has apparently changed his mind. Connectivity has greatly improved in the last 6 years, and is only going to get better.
Still doesn't mean an Online ONLY model makes sense, when hybrid is an option.
Fuzzy is offline   #65 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old August 23rd, 2018, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Still doesn't mean an Online ONLY model makes sense, when hybrid is an option.
I don't really see how hybrid would work for HL. For RW it is barely hybrid, it is more like having shared storage space like google drive.
Toblakai is offline   #66 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old August 23rd, 2018, 08:54 AM
Well, as I would design it, Hero Lab classic running on your system would offer up it's API, or possibly the web UI. You could, if you choose, connect direct to that, but if you are not comfortable with that, the cloud service would act as a relay. Your own instance is still doing the math, and still housing the .user files, just the UI is separate from it.

Doesn't really matter at this point - I doubt they are going to change course at this point.
Fuzzy is offline   #67 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 23rd, 2018, 09:18 AM
I am suffering such cognitive dissonance... my usual username is "Fuzzy", so I keep looking at your posts and thinking, "Wait, I said what?" :-D
Duggan is offline   #68 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old August 24th, 2018, 12:54 PM
Welcome Back Rob!

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #69 Reply With Quote
Arenlor

Old August 26th, 2018, 02:48 PM
I do have a question for Rob or one of the other staff: are there currently plans to 'port' the HLC systems to HLO? Yeah, I'm one that would rather see things moved to HLO rather than to HLC.
Arenlor is offline   #70 Reply With Quote