Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

mdauben

Old August 8th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I was trying for a couple days to upgrade my V3.1 AB to the new V3.2 and was having problems using the automatic update feature. I downloaded the new files multiple times and tried to install them, but every time it got to the point where it said it needed to close AB and I clicked "OK" it just closed AB and that was it. The installation never started.

Finally today, I went to the website, downloaded the new version and installed it manually, and its working fine now. I just thought you would want to know that someone was having problems with the automatic update feature.
mdauben is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 8th, 2009, 02:22 PM
I'm guessing that you are using Vista. This is an issue with Vista not behaving as it's supposed to on certain machines. It occurs on accounts that lack Administrator privileges.

When you don't have the necessary privileges for installing an application, Vista should show the normal UAC warning and ask you whether to allow the install to proceed. That's how it behaves on our machines here. However, it seems that some computers don't do this properly. Instead, Vista decides the necessary privileges don't exist and simply fails the operation - without asking the user. And there's no reasonable way for the product to detect this either. This results in the behavior you experienced.

The solution is to simply run AB with Administrator privileges and download/install the new version. This allows everything to proceed successfully. You can launch AB with Administrator privileges a single time by right-clicking on the icon and selecting the "Run as Administrator" option.

Sorry for the confusion on this, but we haven't figured out how/why Vista decides not to properly ask the user for permission to proceed with the install. If we could do that, we might be able to detect it and warn the user. So if anyone has a suggestion here, please let us know. :-)
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
mdauben

Old August 8th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, Rob!

As I said, I got V3.2a installed manally and its working fine, so I just wanted to be sure you were aware of the problem. In any case, I really like the new features of the software. Great job!
mdauben is offline   #3 Reply With Quote