Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

ruhar

Old June 14th, 2019, 11:03 PM
Who do I need to see about the maps for Streets of Zobeck so I can give him a piece of my mind?!?

WHY? Why would anyone think it's ok to display maps, maps with lots of straight horizontal and vertical lines, at an angle? Not only does it NOT work with Fog of War, that only does straight horizontal and vertical boxes but, and this is a big BUT, it drives OCD GMs and artists CRAZY.

Please, in the name of everything that is holy (or unholy—whatever works), straighten the maps so I can stop twitching and the Fog of War can be used properly.
ruhar is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old June 14th, 2019, 11:49 PM
What?

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old June 15th, 2019, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
What?
If you have it take a look at it. It's about a 20-30 degree angle. Makes me twitchy.
ruhar is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old June 15th, 2019, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhar View Post
Who do I need to see about the maps for Streets of Zobeck so I can give him a piece of my mind?!?
Kobold Press, presumably, as the original's publisher would be the one who created the images.

Last edited by Parody; June 15th, 2019 at 06:11 PM.
Parody is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old June 16th, 2019, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Kobold Press, presumably, as the original's publisher would be the one who created the images.
So I need to say something to Kobold Press? Good to know. Thank you.
ruhar is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old June 16th, 2019, 10:53 PM
Quote:
So I need to say something to Kobold Press? Good to know. Thank you.
Have fun complaining. It won't change anything given the age of the original product, but you can let them know it bugs you.

There's a version of this content for Fantasy Grounds and it looks like they ended up redrawing all the maps. That's probably your best bet too.

Parody is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old June 17th, 2019, 04:43 AM
My version of Realm Works (the current most recent) allows a free hand shape for revealing fog of war, in addition to the boxes and a paint brush shape (of various sizes).

I do agree with maps at odd angles being annoying.

Or the kickstarter that FGG did for their Rappan Athuk maps, which while they redid the art nicely, still has the maps at a broken scale... where if one room is perfectly lined up (your VTTs grid lines, with those that are hardcoded (faintly) onto their maps) an area ten squares away will be off lines.
It's almost like the maps were drawn by hand (originally) without grid paper, and the reproductions (for VTT products) reproduced them at the exact (broken) spacing, so they cannot be made to line up with an evenly spaced set of grid lines.
Ualaa is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old June 17th, 2019, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ualaa View Post
My version of Realm Works (the current most recent) allows a free hand shape for revealing fog of war, in addition to the boxes and a paint brush shape (of various sizes).
I've been busy and didn't notice this feature was added. Thank you, RW for adding that.

As for maps blending with technology, the use of technology by gamers is continuously increasing; the industry needs to be able to comply with the technology's requirements. It's not difficult to work with the technology, and when companies don't work well with technology, we need to be vocal about it, or it won't change.

Last edited by ruhar; June 17th, 2019 at 05:48 PM.
ruhar is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old June 17th, 2019, 06:10 PM
In this case, though, it's not RW that's not working w/ tech. Kobold Press was being artistic.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old June 17th, 2019, 06:56 PM
Quote:
As for maps blending with technology, the use of technology by gamers is continuously increasing; the industry needs to be able to comply with the technology's requirements. It's not difficult to work with the technology, and when companies don't work well with technology, we need to be vocal about it, or it won't change.
Then before you rail on them you should probably look at what they've been publishing recently to see if they have already changed to fit your requirements. Streets of Zobeck was published in 2011.

Last edited by Parody; June 17th, 2019 at 06:59 PM.
Parody is offline   #10 Reply With Quote