Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Silveras

Old February 15th, 2017, 05:11 PM
That means "hacking" into the HL distribution files for the game system. That's part of why it is not there.

Then there's copyright issues... LWD SELLS those. If you make an exportable version from Realm Works, that's not yours to do so.

If someone wants to go to the effort of manually entering a rules system, they are free to do so.. especially if it is under the OGL (Open Gaming License) that makes re-distribution of rules elements easy. PROVIDED you abide by the terms of the applicable license, OGL or not.

If there is no license, then you have to actually re-write in your own words. The game rules can't be copyrighted, as I understand it, but the specific words used to describe them can be.

See, this is why I keep saying that Realm Works is a new medium, and people producing files for sharing are publishers. That means you're at risk for the legal issues that go along with being a publisher.
Silveras is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old February 15th, 2017, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
I thought what we were wanting to import to RW is rules elements, like equipment, spells, monsters, etc. Not portfolios.
You can access two types of things in Hero Lab. Portfolios (especially ones exported to XML) and user files.

If you wanted to, you could put every spell, every item, every feat, and every skill, every race, every class in a single portfolio, then export that portfolio.

Then you would have to work on some sort of transformation script, because the XML between Hero Lab and Realm Works is not identical. The transformation process is going to be different for each type of thing.

After you get through accounting for all of that, you'd have to test it with small batches of each type of thing to make sure you got it right. Which you won't have. So you'll have to go back and fix some bugs, or add some things in the Realm Works structure.

Is it possible? Yes. Is it simple, quick and easy? No.
EightBitz is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old February 16th, 2017, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Rob has promised to release a formal XSD eventually. Once we have that Excel will convert spreadsheets to RW xml with a minimal amount of effort. You basically have to tell excel what cells map to what elements in the XML but that should be pretty straightforward.
What about the reverse direction? Also, what about other office suites?

Edit:

I've got OpenOffice and LibreOffice. A quick look online shows that they share the OpenDocument XML format. (Which doesn't surprise me...)

https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/...ng_XML_Filters

To create a XML filter, you need a XSLT stylesheet. I assume the XSD is what is needed?

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.

Last edited by Zaphod Beebledoc; February 16th, 2017 at 05:58 AM.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 16th, 2017, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beebledoc View Post
What about the reverse direction? Also, what about other office suites?

Edit:

I've got OpenOffice and LibreOffice. A quick look online shows that they share the OpenDocument XML format. (Which doesn't surprise me...)

https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/...ng_XML_Filters

To create a XML filter, you need a XSLT stylesheet. I assume the XSD is what is needed?
No. An XSLT is different from an XSD. An XSLT is mostly for transforming one kind of XML into another.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XSLT

XSD is a formal definition of an XML format and is used by programs to produce XML files they otherwise don't know anything about.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML_Schema_(W3C)

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old February 16th, 2017, 03:14 PM
Oh right, thanks.

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old February 16th, 2017, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beebledoc View Post
I briefly tried the XML export from Excel, but unfortunately it takes shortcuts by skipping blanks cells in the row, so it gets more complicated to process.

However there are several web sites where you can upload a CSV and it will convert to an XML without skipping blank cells :-)
Farling is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 21st, 2017, 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
All Kobold Press need to do for their current kickstarter is add a Realm Works pledge level and they will have all my money. And extend their new Open Midgard concept to include Realm Works.

Dead-set, i would stop running Forgotten Realms if they did that, like today.
Have you TOLD them this yet?
rob is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 21st, 2017, 01:54 AM
Yes... a couple of times...

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old February 21st, 2017, 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
All Kobold Press need to do for their current kickstarter is add a Realm Works pledge level and they will have all my money. And extend their new Open Midgard concept to include Realm Works.
I would encourage all to at least check out their KS, with the talents of my Good Friend (and DemiGoddess of Greyhawk Cartography) doing their cartography the Campaign maps will be topshelf! Her work in support of the Greyhawk Community is the best and she has collaborated with Kobold Press before in the Southlands Project.

Kobold KS
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...?ref=user_menu

Anna's Site
http://ghmaps.net/

Just my 2cp
DLG

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 21st, 2017, 11:12 AM
The days of me paying for pdfs have ended. Kobold Press have told me they are working with LWD on two products for Realm Works. This is my line in the sand. Bring forth the content market and populate it with thy content and thou shall have my money.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #30 Reply With Quote