Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

EightBitz

Old August 26th, 2016, 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goreshade View Post
Thanks for the fast reply. I'm not even at the bmp stage of it, that part comes a bit later in the tutorial. This is the page I am working/following.
http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index....raits_(Savage)

The block of code right before the Bonuses and Penalties section is where the problem is. At this point in the tutorial it should just be displaying the text form.
If it shows correctly in the floating windows, then it could be a timing issue. Have you made sure that your script runs during the "Render" phase with a priority of 5000?
EightBitz is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Goreshade

Old August 26th, 2016, 03:49 AM
Yes. Cut and pasted from the tutorial. There is another eval element with the same settings from the skeleton files.

Code:
<!-- Set the delta for the user value to be the current bonuses
        NOTE! This is necessary so incrementers have proper values when edited by the user.
        -->
    <eval index="1" phase="Render" priority="5000"><![CDATA[
      field[trtUser].delta = field[trtBonus].value + field[trtInPlay].value
      ]]></eval>
Is that interfering?
Goreshade is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old August 26th, 2016, 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goreshade View Post
Yes. Cut and pasted from the tutorial. There is another eval element with the same settings from the skeleton files.

Code:
<!-- Set the delta for the user value to be the current bonuses
        NOTE! This is necessary so incrementers have proper values when edited by the user.
        -->
    <eval index="1" phase="Render" priority="5000"><![CDATA[
      field[trtUser].delta = field[trtBonus].value + field[trtInPlay].value
      ]]></eval>
Is that interfering?
I don't know, but possibly. Try changing the priority of the other script to 5010.
EightBitz is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Goreshade

Old August 26th, 2016, 04:04 AM
No luck. But hey, you just showed me how to tweak potential timing issues.

This seems to be a problem in the tutorial, something is either missing or it isn't clear on what the user/author should be seeing at that point. Instead it just says it should be working. This was the concept around this thread, I was hoping someone else had made a roadmap of problems in the tutorial since the wiki isn't updated anymore.

Since I am going to be going thru the whole thing before starting on my real project maybe I will just chronicle it here. It might help more people in the future.
Goreshade is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old August 26th, 2016, 04:06 AM
I am out of ideas, then. Good luck, though. Hopefully someone else can answer.
EightBitz is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Goreshade

Old August 26th, 2016, 04:13 AM
I just found this thread started from AndrewD2, who ironically was the first to respond here. The thread has the same exact problem I am having, but changes subject to another issue. I wonder if he got it working...

http://forums.wolflair.com/showthrea...ighlight=index
Goreshade is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 26th, 2016, 08:20 AM
In the Switching the Display section at the bottom of that wiki page, you applied all the changes there?

The one listed for tab_basics.dat is the one that will control how the display of the traits on the basics tab looks.

I think it's just that the wiki is telling you to test your work too early - before you've made all the necessary downstream changes that are required to let your change have an effect.
Mathias is online now   #17 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old August 26th, 2016, 09:13 AM
Mathias is correct. That is exactly what my comment in my own post meant.
AndrewD2 is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Goreshade

Old August 26th, 2016, 03:41 PM
Before going to bed last night (at 4am) I decided to push on and complete that page of the Wiki. I did change all the files as instructed, it works on all the summary windows but still not on the main tab.

Also.

Quote:
I think it's just that the wiki is telling you to test your work too early - before you've made all the necessary downstream changes that are required to let your change have an effect.
If so then that really, REALLY needs to change. This is the first page in the tutorial, dealing with a cornerstone component. I understand it may seem like a small thing to the experienced, but its a supremely discouraging thing to go up against as your starting out. If the changes to the main tab display come later in the example then the sentence needs to be replaced with a paragraph explaining where to see the changes at that step, like in the floating info windows.

So where do I fix the above problem? Tab_basics.dat has only the one reference and it has been changed exactly as instructed. As you can see the summary windows are fine. Did something fundamentally change recently in how HL handles display that invalidates something in the tutorial?
Goreshade is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Goreshade

Old August 30th, 2016, 05:45 AM
Any ideas? Still haven't been able to fix this.
Goreshade is offline   #20 Reply With Quote