Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Nikmal

Old November 2nd, 2013, 02:48 PM
That is odd
Nikmal is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Aldaron

Old November 4th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikmal View Post
It is an obvious thing but even the best of us sometimes forget

A friend of mine that is an IT tech asked me to help him fix his computer as he could not get it to turn on for some reason. I plugged it in to the wall socket and viola... magic and it turns on
LOL...in the old days of parallel port printers, I couldn't get my printer working properly - it was printing garbled text and strange colours. My wife (who is completely computer illiterate) said to me (who has a degree in computer science): "Is it plugged into the back of the computer properly?"

"Yep," says the 'computer expert' to her, "It'd either work or it wouldn't."

So I continue for the next hour with drivers and boot disks (yes, this is how far back this is! ) and searching the Internet (such as it was then) for information. Finally...I happen to notice that the parallel port plug was slightly askew, with one end not completely pushed in. I pushed it in and, voila, as you said, the magic worked and the printer worked fine. Three things happened that day:

1) I learned not to overlook the so-obvious-you-ignore-it...
2) I learned that parallel ports could send "partial data" to a peripheral device, and...
2) My wife got some ammunition she's never given up to this day
Aldaron is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old November 15th, 2013, 03:51 AM
I actually have a check list I go through in my head as I am doing some PC repair. The first thing I do is to check if it is plugged in. This could be a wifi dongle, a power cord, ethernet cable and so on. Next I reboot the system of device and go from there.

It is amazing the troubles just that simple check list fixes. So many people even us so called experts forget that at the best of times.

The reason I HAVE the above check list as I worked for about 2 hours on something only to find out it was not properly seated in the motherboard. Trust me it happens to the best of us and we can laugh at it now hehe
Nikmal is offline   #23 Reply With Quote