johngamermage

Send a message via Yahoo to johngamermage

Old January 29th, 2009, 03:00 PM
*Shadowrun 4E
*CthulhuTech
*Dark Heresy
*Star Wars Saga Edition
*d20 Modern

Of course I have to finish the HL Kit Documentation.

Last edited by johngamermage; January 29th, 2009 at 03:17 PM.
johngamermage is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 30th, 2009, 03:36 PM
We've been jonesing to be able to do Shadowrun ourselves. Colen runs a Shadowrun campaign and the folks a Catalyst have gave us a green light long ago. Unfortunately, we're still waiting for the licensing to be sorted out with WizKids/Topps, and who knows how long that will take.

If you're going to launch into something as your first foray into authoring, please do *NOT* select Shadowrun. That's like going straight into a graduate course in particle physics when you haven't yet taken high school physics. Cut your teeth on something less complex first and get a good handle on stuff, else you're in for a major challenge.

Cthulhutech and Dark Heresy should be quite doable with the Kit. The structures of those games will present a few wrinkles, but every game has its own twists to contend with. If you pursue either of those games, don't hesitate to ask questions here, since I'm moderately familiar with both of them, as I'm sure are others here on the forum.

I'm not familiar with Saga, but I've heard it's very similar to 4e, so that should also be quite doable. You'll understand why next week.

d20 Modern would be the most work, since creating the d20 system to begin with would entail lots of effort. This system falls into the same category as Shadowrun - i.e. not recommended as your first game system.

Hope this helps...
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
jonbartels

Old February 1st, 2009, 08:04 PM
dark heresy is also on my wish list, along with,

scion,
legend of the five ring.

let me know what comes of shadowrun.
jonbartels is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 1st, 2009, 09:01 PM
Since I started playing in a Dark Heresy campaign a few days ago, I've stopped working on the Secret of Zir'An files I had been working on and have switched to building Dark Heresy files. I have basic functionality for characteristics, skills, talents, races, and the initial skills/talents for a career.
Mathias is online now   #4 Reply With Quote
FifthWanderer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 2nd, 2009, 06:38 AM
Even I am setting aside SotC for Truth & Justice. I found myself running T&J almost by accident.
FifthWanderer is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
johngamermage

Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
If you're going to launch into something as your first foray into authoring, please do *NOT* select Shadowrun. That's like going straight into a graduate course in particle physics when you haven't yet taken high school physics. Cut your teeth on something less complex first and get a good handle on stuff, else you're in for a major challenge.
Thank You

Now all I need is chip out some time from family life to learn what I need know.

Addendum: In my minds eye I see the finished skinned versions of Shadowrun and d20 Modern. I ache to do these.

Last edited by johngamermage; February 2nd, 2009 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Addendum
johngamermage is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
johngamermage

Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbartels View Post
dark heresy is also on my wish list, along with,

scion,
legend of the five ring.

let me know what comes of shadowrun.
Oooo Scion.

I feel like a kid in a candy shop.

Shadowrun? I don't know when my schedule will permit me to learn or try anything.
johngamermage is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:38 PM
My list is:
L5R
Star Wars Saga
D&D 4e
SAbel is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
heratyk

Old February 4th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Quote:
I'm not familiar with Saga, but I've heard it's very similar to 4e, so that should also be quite doable. You'll understand why next week.
Now that sounds promising...

Quote:
d20 Modern would be the most work, since creating the d20 system to begin with would entail lots of effort. This system falls into the same category as Shadowrun - i.e. not recommended as your first game system.
Really? I would think you could just copy over D&D, and just swap out a few skills and classes and such. Another nice thing is, it also has an OGL.
heratyk is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 20th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heratyk View Post
Really? I would think you could just copy over D&D, and just swap out a few skills and classes and such. Another nice thing is, it also has an OGL.
The reasons for this were outlined in another thread in this forum. A link is provided below.
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=8166
rob is offline   #10 Reply With Quote