Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

egg_green

Old March 5th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Hello,

I know that you all are looking at which tablet OSes/hardware to support in forthcoming versions of Hero Lab, and I wanted to share some real-world data about tablets that are in use at gaming tables currently.

I attended Who's Yer Con this past weekend, and while I was there, I kept an eye out for whether people were using tablets and if so, which devices. Note that this is a completely unofficial survey, it's not scientific at all. It's just me walking around the Pathfinder Society room sometime during each slot, and seeing what tech people had out. I only tallied individual machines; if the same person used a tablet in multiple slots, it was only counted once.

The Pathfinder Society room at Who's Yer Con consisted of 12 tables, and had roughly 60 total slots over the course of the convention. During that time, here's what I observed:

7 iPads
2 Android tablets (1 Samsung Galaxy Tab and another I did not recognize)
2 Kindle Fires

Obviously, it's a small sample size, but it seems clear that the iPad is the leader, at least at this particular con. I would encourage anyone else reading this to keep an eye out at your local game groups and conventions, and post your findings here.
egg_green is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
berdman

Old March 5th, 2012, 07:13 PM
I use an iPad for my gaming. On a Saturday at one of the FLGS that I play at I have seen 3 or 4 other people on average with an iPad also. Have not seen/noticed any Android based tablets.
berdman is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Joshua

Old March 6th, 2012, 12:30 AM
At my gaming groups, only one person uses an iPad, and three other people use Android (one Acer, one Sony, and one Samsung). I think a lot of this is going to depend on demographics. Any individual look is probably going to be somewhat skewed.

Last edited by Joshua; March 6th, 2012 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Additional thought.
Joshua is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
egg_green

Old March 6th, 2012, 04:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
At my gaming groups, only one person uses an iPad, and three other people use Android (one Acer, one Sony, and one Samsung). I think a lot of this is going to depend on demographics. Any individual look is probably going to be somewhat skewed.
Well, that's why I wanted to encourage others to post here as well, so we can get a broader picture :-)

Who's Yer Con was a local convention for the Indianapolis area. It was also free to attend, which meant that the attendees tended to be fairly young -- college-age, and even some high schoolers.
egg_green is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
drizztdn

Old March 7th, 2012, 09:39 AM
I use an iPad, but no one else in my group has a tablet so it's just me.
drizztdn is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
cryptoknight
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 7th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Motorola Xoom here.. other folks game with their Android Phones... don't get that... screen is too small for me, but meh?
cryptoknight is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
enrious

Old March 8th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Ipad2 and Asus Transformer Prime for us.
enrious is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
River Rat

Old March 9th, 2012, 05:00 AM
At my weekly game, three of us have iPads and 4 iPhones. At my monthly game, there are four iPads, 2 Kindles (one a Fire), and one Android tablet. While I use my ipad quite heavily during the game, the others not as much.

RR
River Rat is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Rikhavok

Old March 9th, 2012, 08:55 PM
My game has 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Android tablet, and an android phone being used. I also use a Mac mini hooked up to a 47 inch Wide screen TV, but that's another topic altogether.
Rikhavok is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
senshikaze

Old March 15th, 2012, 07:13 AM
We have at least 1 Android (ICS 4.0) tablets, but it isn't used that often right now. We haven't found an app that does everything that we want. I bet my GM would kill for a good encounter app.

We also use phones (Mostly Androids) for a few different things as well.
senshikaze is offline   #10 Reply With Quote