Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - User Projects
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ozchandler

Old October 5th, 2010, 02:35 PM
how do i add a new tab in a user file? i own the authoring kit and want to add an attribute tab to a d20 3.5 game that i've created a user file for. i've read thru the manuals, wiki, this forum, and fan sites. thanx in advance.
ozchandler is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 5th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Sorry, that option's not available for a packaged game system like 3.5. Can you tell me what sort of information you'd want to show? Maybe there's another way to display the information you're looking for.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ozchandler

Old October 6th, 2010, 05:31 AM
thanx for the response. i'm creating data files to use with traveller d20 and the old buck rogers xxcv games. i need to create the attribute technology for both or i'll have to use INT for most of the skills which i would rather have seperate attributes to not overload INT.

if it's not possible due to licensing issues, that's cool. i own all the packages except dnd 4e and WoD and can use a different rules set.

btw, how do i rename the attribute "sample" in the authorkit? thanx again!
ozchandler is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 6th, 2010, 08:07 AM
The structural files in our packaged game systems are not accessible to users, which means that new attributes can't be created and new tabs can't be created.

I think you'd have to start from the skeleton in the authoring kit. Especially since Buck Rodgers isn't a d20 game, it's a variant of 2ed. You've voted for "d20 system mechanics" in the "What Games Should HL Support" thread in the general discussion forum, right? - I'm afraid that's what you really need for this sort of thing, and I'm sorry that we haven't had the time to create it.

The attributes in a game system are generally stored in a file called "thing_attributes.dat" - you can open that file in your copy of the skeleton files and edit the properties of the sample attribute.

The "Attributes" link here discusses how the attributes were modified when the savage worlds files were created using the authoring kit:
http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index....s_Walk-Through
Mathias is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ozchandler

Old October 6th, 2010, 04:46 PM
thanx mathias for the replies. and yes i voted for the d20 mechanics and would have voted for d20 modern, mechwarrior 3e, and mongoose traveller rulesets if possible. i also like the fact shadowrun will be available soon.

there's way too many games out there and i know you have to pick and choose as a business what systems to tackle and when. you guys and gals are doing a great job and i love your product. in fact, i've bought licenses for a couple of my players who couldn't afford it (the economy sux, as you know).

my only gripe is i wish the authoring kit had more examples of each step.

thanx again

edit: i forgot to mention brp. i'm not sure what the differences between brp and coc are; is it close enough to use the herolab coc package? i have it and love coc, but would like to give brp a try.

Last edited by ozchandler; October 6th, 2010 at 06:24 PM.
ozchandler is offline   #5 Reply With Quote