Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

chiefweasel

Old November 5th, 2009, 09:22 PM
I ran into a problem and not sure how to fix it. I added a few line sof code to the xml file and found that they didnt work so removed them. After that i get a message that a prestige class that was working doesnt work anymore. i get a message that "No such Bootstrap exists". I have tried to add in the cHelpFRv for the booth strap but it wont save informtion. I check in the xml code and the line <bootstrap thing="cHelpFRv"></bootstrap> is in there but it isnt showing up when i do toi the editor. now no class or data in the file is usable.

Through testing i am finding that no matter what file i use, the editor will try to save it and erase the bootstrap panel ID for the file selected. Has there been a change to the way these things operate?

Last edited by chiefweasel; November 5th, 2009 at 09:37 PM.
chiefweasel is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 6th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Please tell me what context all this is in? What are you trying to do? Are you sure you deleted exactly what you added?

The "No such bootstrap exists" doesn't mean there's a problem with the thing doing the bootstrap - it means there's a problem finding the thing to be bootstrapped.

Class panels are no longer needed. There is now a universal panel, used by all classes. All existing panels should be ignored by Hero Lab (so they don't need to be deleted).
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old November 6th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I was careful to put markers in and blank lines to indicate what data i had entered. All i was attempting to do was combine 2 files. i received a prestige class for the Complete Champion as a sperate file and was adding it to the main file that holds the rest of the information.

Maybe the problem is with the class panel. What happens is that i opne my main file (the one with all the other prestige classes, spells, feats and such in it), but in order to close the file it wants me to save it. if i do the first prestige class listed drops the Linked Panel ID. then when i go to open the file or use it it says that the boot strap isnt there.

It seems that i run into numerous problems with merely copying information in the xml files created. it seems the simplest cause the program to stop working. is there way way possible to create a script or application that can combine 2 Hero Lab files without causeing any issues? i have spent way too much time trying to handle major problem that seem to arise when i try to do simple changes. i've been told that you can just use an editor and drop in the new information, but that process just doesnt work. i'm really becoming frustrated with the product, but if everytime i make a small change the program doesnt work and i need to spend weeks working to resolve it, i'm not sure its worth it.

also if the class panel isnt used, how can prestige classes be entered? all i have in my editor are the class, class level, and class special tabs.
chiefweasel is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 6th, 2009, 11:56 AM
If you're trying to incorporate a class into a main file, just delete the class panel file - don't even worry about it.

When editing the XML, be careful about opening and closing elements. Every Hero Lab file will begin with <document signature="Hero Lab Data"> and end with </document>, so make sure that you don't copy those elements from the second file into the first, and that you place the new information before the closing </document> element.

Each thing in a Hero Lab file will begin with <thing>, and end with </thing>, so also be careful not to put something inside a pair of <thing></thing> elements.

I would HIGHLY recommend using a text editor to merge two files, rather than trying to copy the elements one at a time. The editor isn't made for moving infomation - it's made to help you enter the information.

There is now a single class panel that is used for all classes - there is no longer a need to define a custom class panel for each class - they all use the same one. The whole point of that work was that the user doesn't need to worry about the class panel when they're creating a new class.
Mathias is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 6th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Hey chiefweasel, I really don't mind if the files are not all in one document. Can't we just post them on your site separately and add a note saying download them all at once? It's a simple solution to a vexing problem, and I can tell you are getting annoyed.
Lawful_g is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old November 7th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
If you're trying to incorporate a class into a main file, just delete the class panel file - don't even worry about it.

When editing the XML, be careful about opening and closing elements. Every Hero Lab file will begin with <document signature="Hero Lab Data"> and end with </document>, so make sure that you don't copy those elements from the second file into the first, and that you place the new information before the closing </document> element.

Each thing in a Hero Lab file will begin with <thing>, and end with </thing>, so also be careful not to put something inside a pair of <thing></thing> elements.

I would HIGHLY recommend using a text editor to merge two files, rather than trying to copy the elements one at a time. The editor isn't made for moving infomation - it's made to help you enter the information.

There is now a single class panel that is used for all classes - there is no longer a need to define a custom class panel for each class - they all use the same one. The whole point of that work was that the user doesn't need to worry about the class panel when they're creating a new class.

Yup i am careful to check for the tags for the document and the specific things. i use notepad to copy the files over, its just not working.

Now i do have a question about the class panels. i am not sure what you mean here, as i still see the same tabs that i have always seen. i dont see any difference now from what existed before. So i'm not sure what you mean by the "class panels"? if you mean the panels that are created with a prestige class, then i have to differ with you on that. i tried removing them and the whole program crashed on me. i tried for a few days to correct it but in the end i had to recover from a back up. it really seems that once code is created, the slighted change made to it cause the program to become non-functional. and i am far from making perfect code on the first try.

i have even sent Lawful_g some of the screen shots of the problems i am having and he cant seem to duplicate them, so not sure what the problem is. it seems my installation of HL is somehow unique.
chiefweasel is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 8th, 2009, 09:48 AM
That you see the same tabs that have always existed was intentional. The end user wasn't supposed to see anything different, although the tab might have been re-organized slightly - for example, take a look at the panel of a user-created class with spellcasting capability - does it now have a class specials button - the kind of thing that only existed on the pre-defined classes, not the user classes?

It sounds like you may want to clean up your install, then.

Move your entire HeroLab/data/d20 folder to the desktop or somewhere else, reinstall the d20 files. Then, you can move files from your copy of the folder one at a time, testing each one. You should be able to copy a user-created class without copying the panel file that was generated with it.

Oh, and you mentioned before that you kept running into errors as you copy files. If you right-click on an error message in HeroLab, you can copy it to the clipboard, then paste it into a forum post. That way I can help you learn what sort of errors mean what sort of problems, and how to fix them.
Mathias is offline   #7 Reply With Quote