Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Dragnmoon

Old September 23rd, 2017, 10:53 AM
I had 2 questions, they should know the answer to the first they might not know the answer to the second yet. So I will ask the first again and wait on the second for now (Though it is important for me to know so I can know if I am getting the product).

If after I move my content to Herolabs Online and pay the fee and I buy a Data sets later would that data set be available for both version without any additional fees?

Has this been asked and answered any where?
Dragnmoon is offline   #141 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 23rd, 2017, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnmoon View Post
If after I move my content to Herolabs Online and pay the fee and I buy a Data sets later would that data set be available for both version without any additional fees?

From my understanding the answer is yes. The data set will be purchased once and be availbe for both HLO and HLC for those systems that have both (ie Pathfinder, 5e, d20 etc). This is possible because the underlying logic of how feats, classes, spells work are exactly the same for HLO and HLC.

The only difference is the UI components that HLO uses vs HLC.

For Starfinder you only have the one choice of HLO for data sets.

HERE is a quote from a LW employee that pretty much says this.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #142 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 23rd, 2017, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnmoon View Post
I had 2 questions, they should know the answer to the first they might not know the answer to the second yet. So I will ask the first again and wait on the second for now (Though it is important for me to know so I can know if I am getting the product).

Here's the FAQ entry for this one:
Quote:
Q: After I migrate, will my purchases show up in both Hero Lab Online and Hero Lab Classic.
A: So long as your purchase is available in both versions of the program, they sure will!
Mathias is offline   #143 Reply With Quote
Dragnmoon

Old September 23rd, 2017, 10:48 PM
I must have missed that in my first read through. Thanks!...

Now I just need to wait and see what the capability of the offline version is. Since I can't rely on an internet connection when I actually play, having the ability to do everything but level up is important (add new items I pick up during play, gold, spell effects, ability effects other bonuses/penalties I get during play).

From what I have read so far they don't seem to have much of a grasp yet on what the offline version will be able to do.

Edit: Now I know why I missed that, first time reading that I was not clear if that meant Future purchases or past purchases once migrating. Based on you using at as a reply to my question I assume it means that future purchases will show up.

Last edited by Dragnmoon; September 23rd, 2017 at 10:56 PM.
Dragnmoon is offline   #144 Reply With Quote
RileyBear

Old September 26th, 2017, 04:58 AM
I would just like to say thank you for all the information.

I am looking forward to trying HLO when the Open Beta starts. *hoping to hear that it will open soon*
I have used HLC for many years - even buying an iPad (I'm not an Apple fan) just so I could have the portability of the product.

I think you guys are doing a great job with the resources you have and again, I thank you for taking the time to answer questions.
RileyBear is offline   #145 Reply With Quote
rixu

Old September 26th, 2017, 09:38 AM
Whoa, I had never even heard of Hero Labs until noticing this on Starfinder Forums. Now I can't wait to get the HLO when it comes since I'm running the Starfinder AP and this seems really nice for it. It IS end of September already
rixu is offline   #146 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old September 26th, 2017, 09:39 AM
Dragnmoon future and past purchases will show up. Once Pathfinder is implemented in HLO then all your past PF packages will work. Same with any other system in HLO and HLC. If you own the package and it works with HLO it'll be there.
AndrewD2 is offline   #147 Reply With Quote
Dragnmoon

Old September 28th, 2017, 12:28 AM
Though that helps, sadly it is still not enough for me to get the product. I will wait until I have a better idea what the offline version is capable of. I could use the Starfinder Data set but like I said for myself where I actually play I don't have a reliable access to the internet.

I am truly hoping the offline version is as good as the iPad app they have no minus leveling.
Dragnmoon is offline   #148 Reply With Quote
PlasmaDragon

Old September 29th, 2017, 09:42 AM
so all the other things being added to HLO aren't useful to me, and I'm the only one in my group (I'm the GM) who has been willing to pay for HL. I enter and validate all their characters.

For just this functionality, I'm looking at the following scenario:

HLC
Pathfinder: $35 for the game system core book (and I've spent several hundred since buying data packages).

Cost to use core rulebook in HLC:
Year 1: $35
Year 2: $0, $35 total
Year 3: $0, $35 total
Year 4: $0, $35 total
Year 5: $0, $35 total

So after 5 years, I've bought and used the core rulebook in Hero Labs, for $35. Tremendous value.

HLO for Starfinder:
Data package: ($25 at discounted price)
Subscription at $2/month, assuming no increase in price over 5 years:
Year 1: $24, $49 total
Year 2: $24, $73 total
Year 3: $24, $97 total
Year 4: $24, $121 total
Year 5: $24, $145 total

Let's see: $35 = tremendous value, $145 = not worth it. Almost x4 the price over 5 years for no real additional value.

Maybe there is a place for HLO with cut down features (say just character and ship creation and validation, but none of the in-game use stuff) for a much lower subscription price. Perhaps free, or $5/year or something like that, or charge a normal (traditional) price for the data packages with no subscription fees if only using the character validation and tracking features.

That value proposition makes HLO worthwhile for me and I'm sure some set of Wolf Lair's customers. Otherwise, I'll just being using paper and pencil. Fortunately, Starfinder seems much simpler than Pathfinder, especially so many years in with so much additional content.
PlasmaDragon is offline   #149 Reply With Quote
jimthegray

Old September 29th, 2017, 10:43 AM
only a day and 1/2 left of the month
any update on the beta?
jimthegray is offline   #150 Reply With Quote