Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

TenchuHawke

Old October 5th, 2016, 11:16 PM
I am building a realm that is filled with info and I want to make a duplicate of it so that once I am done with the core world subsequent changes don't change the core.

That way I can run multiple groups in the same game system using different versions of reality (Sheriff Jones may be dead in Earth 541, but not Earth 524).
TenchuHawke is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old October 5th, 2016, 11:38 PM
That is at present not a feature that is available.

This is my understanding of things:

The Content Market is on its way (priority one for LWD at the moment).
When the Content Market is fully rolled out it should be possible to:
- Make a master realm.
- Make a number of child realms that are exact copies of the master realm.
- When changing something in a child realm only that one realm is affected.
- When changing something in the master realm the change carries through to all child realms.

That is my understanding - I might be wrong.

So, you can not copy a realm yet, but eventually you will be able to.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Inglorin

Old October 6th, 2016, 03:58 AM
So, you are saying, that in order to ever be able to copy my own content from one of my realms to another I need to pay for Cloud Service?
Inglorin is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Dhrakken

Old October 6th, 2016, 05:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglorin View Post
So, you are saying, that in order to ever be able to copy my own content from one of my realms to another I need to pay for Cloud Service?
I don't see anywhere where that was mentioned or implied.... Since you don't currently absolutely need the cloud to use Realm works, I don't see why would you need it to copy from one realm to another. What is implied is that this is functionality that will likely be released at the same time as the content market. To me, this is simple functionality that should work perfectly fine in a local environment. Of course, I could be wrong... we'll just have to wait and see!

Inglorin, all 3 of your posts have been made to take shots at Realm Works... you know, there are a lot of great things in Realm Works right now; you should check it out and maybe try to be a bit more open minded.
Dhrakken is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old October 6th, 2016, 07:04 AM
@Vargr's understanding of sharing material requiring a cloud subscription whether with others or yourself jives with what we've gathered over the years and has not been stated to be misunderstood. More information is likely coming soon but I would not be surprised to see this as a paid feature due to the need to use the cloud for transfer. Indeed, I would be shocked if a subscription wasn't required.

Report RealmWorks bugs here
Report Pathfinder HeroLab bugs here
Report 5e HeroLab bugs here
Report 5e HeroLab Community Pack bugs here
AEIOU is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old October 6th, 2016, 07:11 AM
To expand on Vargr's post...

It is my understanding that the Content Market will be rolled-out in phases.
It is not clear what phase will include copying your own Realm.
It is not known how many phases there will be.

The functionality for copying your own Realm is the same functionality needed for distribution of purchased content from the Content Market (so that's why they are linked).

Creating a Realm requires that it be done on the remote Server as part of the operation.. this would remain true even if the Realm is a copy of another one. So the copying operation will require access to the Server (note: this is NOT saying Cloud Service is required).
Silveras is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Dhrakken

Old October 6th, 2016, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
@Vargr's understanding of sharing material requiring a cloud subscription whether with others or yourself jives with what we've gathered over the years and has not been stated to be misunderstood. More information is likely coming soon but I would not be surprised to see this as a paid feature due to the need to use the cloud for transfer. Indeed, I would be shocked if a subscription wasn't required.
Not saying that your assumption is wrong or anything but this doesn't make sense to me. As you can currently have your realm completely stored locally without using the cloud, it should be as simple as copying data from one folder and pasting it into another; locally where, you know, your data is stored...

Edit: Yes, I know I am new to this tool and this forum so please excuse my ignorance!

Last edited by Dhrakken; October 6th, 2016 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Humbleness...
Dhrakken is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old October 6th, 2016, 07:39 AM
The Cloud Service FAQ answers part of this (assuming nothing changes):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Service FAQ
Will I be able to duplicate or copy one of my realms without cloud service?

Yes, all Realm Works GM accounts will be able to duplicate realms, regardless of cloud service status. However, duplication without cloud service will take a snapshot of the current realm and create a completely separate copy of it, without any ongoing connection between the two. This works exactly the same as if you copied a document on your local computer.

With cloud service, a realm can be created that retains a connection to its original source. Subsequent changes to the original source can be inherited into the clone over time. This can be extremely important if you intend to evolve your content, since a simple copy without cloud service would require maintaining both copies independently once the copy was made – just like a copied word-processing document.
Currently the only workaround is to keep separate databases using the backup and restore functions to activate one at a time. This is a bad idea if you also have Cloud Service, since the databases share server IDs and it would be easy to wipe out one set of data with the other online. Even if you're already managing your own backups, it's not great because Realm Works doesn't help you keep them separate and won't help you merge them after it is able to duplicate realms.

Parody is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old October 6th, 2016, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglorin View Post
No.

I have no idea exactly how the cloud service will work subscription wise and for what exactly it will be required.

However, I believe that in order to make the information/update between the realms work it has to go through the servers at LWD, where it will be decided what parts will have to be copied, what parts deleted and what parts changed. It is my impression that this takes place on the servers (or in a cooperation between the servers and the clients).

I am probably halfway right, halfway wrong on this.

Whether this will require a subscription or not I guess we will have to wait and see.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Last edited by Vargr; October 6th, 2016 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Clarification
Vargr is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Inglorin

Old October 6th, 2016, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhrakken View Post
Inglorin, all 3 of your posts have been made to take shots at Realm Works... you know, there are a lot of great things in Realm Works right now; you should check it out and maybe try to be a bit more open minded.
I know, I know. I *am* using RW in my weekly game extensively. I am quite happy with this single instance, running for a single group, in a single world. I am working around most of the pitfalls. The thing is, I am starting to worry reading statements about the cloud service being needed for the copying of parts of my realm into other game worlds and into my next campaign.

About taking the shots or being positive: There is not much I can do about this at the moment, can I? They are making it extremely hard for anyone to take the "communications" seriously. I'd rather be cynical than an apologist (sp?). I am not being paid enough for that.
Inglorin is offline   #10 Reply With Quote