Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Farling

Old May 12th, 2017, 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sword_of_Spirit View Post
Here's another question. I'm considering converting it to a D&D 5e structure. What would this do to my customizations? I'd basically want to keep most of my customizations, but having the elements that differ between the 5e and default structure switched to 5e might be nice. But if it is going to throw all of my customizations out of whack, that might just be more trouble than it is worth.
I'm fairly sure that converting the realm to 5E will do _nothing_ to your own categories. Since they aren't predefined categories RW wouldn't know how to modify them.
Farling is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old May 13th, 2017, 03:09 AM
A couple of things to keep in mind.

Imported content does not contain any empty snippets or sections. It is a fairly "lite" process. If you have customized the default categories by hiding stuff, I assume you mean collapsed by default, then I suspect an import would leave that alone unless that topic included content in such a section. I can see no way it would effect your existing categories at all.

The problem with tags isn't with user added tags IME but with "system" tags in use by a realm converted to a realm that doesn't have them. So far I've never lost tags I've added to a tag domain during an import.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old May 13th, 2017, 04:14 AM
Quote:
I have a few new domains, but I generally used domains and tags as is where I could, and added in tags when needed (and I've added in a lot of tags).
Unless the Domain disappears completely I think you'll be OK. Again, duplicating your realm and doing a trial conversion is what I'd recommend.

Quote:
Does anyone have any naming solutions?
As mentioned earlier I put "(Paranoia)" at the end of my customized versions of the Global Categories in my Paranoia realm. If you're building your own campaign world its name may be a good choice. Otherwise, perhaps the name of your campaign or gaming group?

Parody is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Sword_of_Spirit

Old May 13th, 2017, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
If you have customized the default categories by hiding stuff, I assume you mean collapsed by default, then I suspect an import would leave that alone unless that topic included content in such a section. I can see no way it would effect your existing categories at all.
Actually I mean I went to the category definition and unclicked the "show" box, so they never show up in topics I create.

Quote:
The problem with tags isn't with user added tags IME but with "system" tags in use by a realm converted to a realm that doesn't have them. So far I've never lost tags I've added to a tag domain during an import.
So I'm trying out the idea of keeping my own stuff, but converting it to 5e D&D Realm format. However, I'm hitting a snag here. It keeps giving me a "Tag cannot be deleted" error. Unfortunately, Realm Works just crashes (well, goes into "Not Responding" actually) if I click "Save as File" so I can't even figure out the details of the stupid error.

My guess is that this means I am using a default tag that doesn't exist in 5e. So I compared the formats, and 5e doesn't really delete many tags. All I can find that I'm using that doesn't exist in 5e format was the Commoner and Warrior tags in the Class domain. I searched for every topic that included them and changed them. (For some reason, the Warrior tag would let me select the option in the domain management to delete all instances or change them to another tag, but the Commoner wouldn't. What's up with that?) I also had Commoner assigned as default, so I went and undid that setting.

When I try to convert it still gives me the same error. It's possible I have a tag in use somewhere other than those two, but I can't figure out what it is. I can't find any tags outside of the Race and Class Domains that were even removed.

"Why don't you just forget about converting it to 5e format, if that's the only difference anyway?" one asks. Well, besides the fact that I like not having all those Pathfinder tags cluttering up my domain list (yes, I hide them for purposes of selecting tags, but it's the principle of the matter dang it!) I'd also like to have my realm in D&D 5e format so that when they update it further I'm already ready to go, rather than waiting until later and having to go through even more effort to convert things over (there were several dozen Commoner tags I had to manually eplace to get rid of them as it was). My realm is only going to get bigger as time goes on.

It's rather annoying that an error that refuses to explain itself to me is preventing my converting a realm to 5e.
Sword_of_Spirit is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Sword_of_Spirit

Old May 13th, 2017, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Unless the Domain disappears completely I think you'll be OK. Again, duplicating your realm and doing a trial conversion is what I'd recommend.
Yeah, I agree that's a good idea. That's what I'm trying to do now, but I'm running into a snag converting my duplicate to 5e (see above post).

Quote:
As mentioned earlier I put "(Paranoia)" at the end of my customized versions of the Global Categories in my Paranoia realm. If you're building your own campaign world its name may be a good choice. Otherwise, perhaps the name of your campaign or gaming group?
I'm really hoping to do something highly unobtrusive--especially if I end up using some default categories. (I can always just avoid that entirely I suppose.) It just seems like a real pain that there is no way to reuse the name. It's not like computer code can't distinguish it in some other way with a non-visible element.
Sword_of_Spirit is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old May 13th, 2017, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Actually I mean I went to the category definition and unclicked the "show" box, so they never show up in topics I create.

So I'm trying out the idea of keeping my own stuff, but converting it to 5e D&D Realm format. However, I'm hitting a snag here. It keeps giving me a "Tag cannot be deleted" error. Unfortunately, Realm Works just crashes (well, goes into "Not Responding" actually) if I click "Save as File" so I can't even figure out the details of the stupid error.

My guess is that this means I am using a default tag that doesn't exist in 5e. So I compared the formats, and 5e doesn't really delete many tags. All I can find that I'm using that doesn't exist in 5e format was the Commoner and Warrior tags in the Class domain. I searched for every topic that included them and changed them. (For some reason, the Warrior tag would let me select the option in the domain management to delete all instances or change them to another tag, but the Commoner wouldn't. What's up with that?) I also had Commoner assigned as default, so I went and undid that setting.

When I try to convert it still gives me the same error. It's possible I have a tag in use somewhere other than those two, but I can't figure out what it is. I can't find any tags outside of the Race and Class Domains that were even removed.

"Why don't you just forget about converting it to 5e format, if that's the only difference anyway?" one asks. Well, besides the fact that I like not having all those Pathfinder tags cluttering up my domain list (yes, I hide them for purposes of selecting tags, but it's the principle of the matter dang it!) I'd also like to have my realm in D&D 5e format so that when they update it further I'm already ready to go, rather than waiting until later and having to go through even more effort to convert things over (there were several dozen Commoner tags I had to manually eplace to get rid of them as it was). My realm is only going to get bigger as time goes on.

It's rather annoying that an error that refuses to explain itself to me is preventing my converting a realm to 5e.
I just tried converting a copy of my main realm from pathfinder to D&D5E which used to work just fine. It now crashes as you describe. I'm not sure when this was introduced but it is fairly recent. Please submit a bug report. This is reproducible and needs to be addressed before they open the CM.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Sword_of_Spirit

Old May 13th, 2017, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I just tried converting a copy of my main realm from pathfinder to D&D5E which used to work just fine. It now crashes as you describe. I'm not sure when this was introduced but it is fairly recent. Please submit a bug report. This is reproducible and needs to be addressed before they open the CM.
I submitted the report from the error pop-up. Is there anywhere else I should be submitting it?
Sword_of_Spirit is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old May 13th, 2017, 05:26 PM
Quote:
I'm really hoping to do something highly unobtrusive--especially if I end up using some default categories. (I can always just avoid that entirely I suppose.) It just seems like a real pain that there is no way to reuse the name. It's not like computer code can't distinguish it in some other way with a non-visible element.
While I agree that it can be annoying when you're hiding an existing Global to use your own, I think it's important to be able to tell at a glance which Category is under consideration. Non-visible text doesn't help there.

FWIW, I only use the Simple Groupings in the Navigation pane, so the only time I see a Category name in "day-to-day" use is when I'm creating a new Topic/Article. (Similarly I use very few multi-Domain Tag Snippets, so I tune out the names of the Tag Domains most of the time.)

Quote:
I submitted the report from the error pop-up. Is there anywhere else I should be submitting it?
You can give more info and another link to you on the Report a Realm Works Bug Page. Keep a copy of the crashing database file around. (Unless you've changed the setting, RW keeps backups from the last 10 times you launched it in your Documents folder.)

Last edited by Parody; May 13th, 2017 at 05:32 PM.
Parody is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Sword_of_Spirit

Old May 13th, 2017, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
While I agree that it can be annoying when you're hiding an existing Global to use your own, I think it's important to be able to tell at a glance which Category is under consideration. Non-visible text doesn't help there.

FWIW, I only use the Simple Groupings in the Navigation pane, so the only time I see a Category name in "day-to-day" use is when I'm creating a new Topic/Article. (Similarly I use very few multi-Domain Tag Snippets, so I tune out the names of the Tag Domains most of the time.)
I prefer the micro categories rather than the simple ones, and I also have tabs open with things sorted hierarchically (very useful when navigating through a multiverse's "geography"). With the global categories hidden, the only time I need to tell them apart is when I'm managing categories, and the user vs. global icon does an adequate job of letting me know which is which there.

What's bugging me is that the functionality of duplicate user categories was working fine, but now if we want to use the new content market, we are stuck having to figure out some sort of workaround or lose the functionality we previously had (and I hate losing previous functionality).
Sword_of_Spirit is offline   #19 Reply With Quote