Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

GreenT

Old February 29th, 2016, 01:22 PM
Hi!

I'm running my first campaign using Realm Works right now. I use it to display realtime information to my players, for example: During a fight they determine that the specific foe has a vulnerability against something. This is a snippet I want to reveal. But to reveal it, I have to reveal the topic, with the name of the topic. That can give away at least the name of the encounter, worst case ruin it because there might be a bit in the name which indicates some attribute of the encounter.

Kind regards
GreenT
GreenT is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
athelu

Old March 8th, 2016, 03:57 PM
yes. I have had this happen as well. for me it was the name of the map that showed up in the title bar on the player view. I would be fine with no name in the title bar honestly
athelu is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old March 8th, 2016, 08:38 PM
Isn't this what the "true name" attribute is for? You create a topic and then in the other name's dialog you can give a "true name". That way you can have a spoiler-free name and then, later, when appropriate, reveal the "true name"?

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old March 9th, 2016, 06:01 AM
Manage Names will resolve this for topic names. You can create a display name.

Don't get me started over the prioritization of useless fluff videos rather than solid tutorials or an updated user manual with multiple examples to guide us through world building and management.
AEIOU is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
athelu

Old March 9th, 2016, 12:56 PM
Hrm. Manage names is crashing my realmworks. Sweet - new feature

So - you are saying that there is a display name type that you can use? that will override the display name? I just want to make sure I am understanding what you are saying. I have used Alias in the past, but it was for aid in indexing and linking.
athelu is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old March 9th, 2016, 02:08 PM
Manage Names was called Alias before.

The "Public Name" is the main name of the topic, visible when you reveal the topic.
The "True Name" is the *actual* name, which can be revealed separately.

If you are converting a published adventure, you will likely want to make the name used in the adventure the "True Name", and create a different, less revealing one, for the "Public Name".

For example, if the room is called "Victor's Monster Factory" in the adventure, you might want to make that the "True Name" but create the topic as "Strange Operating Room" (the "Public Name").
Silveras is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old March 9th, 2016, 04:48 PM
@athelu test this: Select Add Name, then add the name, determine case matching, auto accept and shown in nav. Then click OK. If you click Add Name again and then OK without entering anything you will crash RW hard. Is this what is happening for you or is it crashing at another point?

I should have reported this as a bug with a workaround solution a while back but as long as I don't leave a blank Add Name I don't have any issues. I retrained myself.... But I keep wanting to click Add Name to get it added....
AEIOU is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
GreenT

Old March 21st, 2016, 04:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
Manage Names was called Alias before.

The "Public Name" is the main name of the topic, visible when you reveal the topic.
The "True Name" is the *actual* name, which can be revealed separately.

If you are converting a published adventure, you will likely want to make the name used in the adventure the "True Name", and create a different, less revealing one, for the "Public Name".

For example, if the room is called "Victor's Monster Factory" in the adventure, you might want to make that the "True Name" but create the topic as "Strange Operating Room" (the "Public Name").
This is a good idea. I will use it, as long as I don't have a better solution.
It kind of 'breaks' my workflow in RW since I have to thing about alternative names for everything now, instead of just don't showing the name.
GreenT is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ich.pdf

Old March 30th, 2016, 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenT View Post
This is a good idea. I will use it, as long as I don't have a better solution.
It kind of 'breaks' my workflow in RW since I have to thing about alternative names for everything now, instead of just don't showing the name.
I agree to that. I am using Realm Works for Shadowrun 5th and literally every mysterious person who could potentially give you a job is called "Mr. Johnson". Right now, I have Mr. Johnson being the public name and a true name for each of them. But I have to distinguish differen Johnsons by suffixes. This approach might work now with only 3 Johnson's, but during a campaign there may be 10 or even 20 of them...

But, as I understood it, the Lone Wolf Person at GenCon2015 (I think it's Rob..?) told in the youtube Video of the Tips & Tricks Seminar that they are aware and will tackle that problem. Although, iirc he was still referring to "Aliases", so at least one update is through since then... I got into Realm Works just recently ^^

However, +1 for a solution to that, be it a hideable caption in player view or whatever else :-)
ich.pdf is offline   #9 Reply With Quote