Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Dark Lord Galen

Old December 2nd, 2014, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgs View Post
I opted out of the newsletter and yet am active and interested. So why not a link to allow participation if someone is not on the newsletter list?
Liz addressed this above..... There are laws that restrict companies from mass emails especially when the receiver opts out
Will there be a link here to the servey, possibly, she often links update and newsletters .
But if you truly are active and want to weigh in.... Why wouldn't u want the newsletter to stay informed?

Last edited by Dark Lord Galen; December 2nd, 2014 at 08:11 PM.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Kilgs

Old December 2nd, 2014, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
But if you truly are active and want to weigh in.... Why wouldn't u want the newsletter to stay informed?
1. Because I don't want to get ads on Market items for d20/DnD games which will likely be the primary focus of such.

2. Because LWD won't send me a confirmation email.

3. With an existing business relationship, I'm curious what laws everyone is referring to?
Kilgs is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old December 3rd, 2014, 06:55 AM
Quote:
1. Because I don't want to get ads on Market items for d20/DnD games which will likely be the primary focus of such.

3. With an existing business relationship, I'm curious what laws everyone is referring to?
1. I have been getting the newsletter since buying HeroLab over a year ago, and never never never have I received anything BUT a LWD newsletter. You should do your research before speaking, not only will you then be more accurate, you will actually retain some credibility in your future posts.

2. Wow.....I have no answer for that.

3. Well I cannot speak for lawyers, nor US laws, but here in Canada mass emails are not legal, unless you specificially have requested or opted in to receive them. Here they must even break the opt in up, and ask if you want company info and outside partner info. So LWD opt in would be two check boxes, one for the LWD newsletter and one for say paizo to send you marketing crap your referring too. So your making a scene over LWD being a lawful moral company.......really?

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old December 3rd, 2014, 07:06 AM
Quote:

Kilgs, your starting to bare a stark resemblance to a swamp dwelling creature, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you are genuinely trying to understand and try, again, to answer in behalf of LWD.

1> I've been receiving the newsletter since its inception for RW. No extra mail, sidebar sales pitched nada.. Just an update on where they are and what's going on. Granted, at times those newletters were overly optimistic (wholly different topic than your concern here), but they left me with no such impression as to a means for LWD to "sell my email address" to others as spam often does. No extra links leading me to far away unrelated venues I didn't ask for. As to where you "think" the primary focus is,,, that is a presumption. There is no supporting evidence to this point, sofar.

2>Not sure what "confirmation" you are looking for???
  • IF it's did they receive my request for the newsletter? And it comes to you, there is your confirmation. Your request to receive it was honored.
  • IF you opt out (as you did) and you don't receive anything, again there is your confirmation. For LWD to continually ask you "Are you sure you wanna opt out?" or "We have received your request to opt out", "We would like to confirm your request to opt out" are all considered spam at the point in which you declined their services. See below.

3>Existing business relationship (as you loosely put it) is of no relevance. You could purchase thousands of dollars of product, but that doesn't mean you have a "business relationship". You have a company / consumer relationship. Paizo, D20Pro, etc & LWD have a business relationship. Further, you have opted out from receiving the newsletter, yet still want access to it. The simple solution is to watch the LWD website then for updates or here on the forum.

As to the law aspects, Liz is acting in her companies best interest (understandable), as laws differ from place to place, country to country it is best to error on the conservative side. If you are unaware of the existence and the purpose of such laws, you can find a good starting point here
http://www.fcc.gov/guides/spam-unwan...ages-and-email

Hope all of this helps and brings you to more productive posts than
"Your Survey Irritates Me"
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Kilgs

Old December 6th, 2014, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
Kilgs, your starting to bare a stark resemblance to a swamp dwelling creature
Personal insults already? I'll accept broken record player... but not that.

I hardly think 21 posts of which 1/3 have been technical issues constitutes a troll.

Last edited by Kilgs; December 7th, 2014 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Deleting the rest since it stooped to the same level.
Kilgs is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 7th, 2014, 02:09 AM
Quote:
Confirmation EMAIL. Says it right there in the post. I fixed it by creating a new dumbie email account. But thanks for reading.
I'm fairly sure he was asking WHAT you wanted confirmation ABOUT, rather than the means in which the confirmation was delivered.
Farling is online now   #16 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old December 7th, 2014, 02:38 AM
Well-known fact: LWD emails quite frequently get caught by spam filters, particularly Google's. If your email provider uses google as a back-end, log into your webmail service, and check the spam folder there - it's probably not even being sent on to your mail client.

Of course, we still don't know what confirmation mail you're waiting for, as others have mentioned.
Chemlak is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Kilgs

Old December 7th, 2014, 05:49 AM
Newsletter confirmation. When you sign up it says to wait for a confirmation email...
Kilgs is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 7th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Newsletter confirmation. When you sign up it says to wait for a confirmation email...
Hey there! We haven't heard from users about confirmation emails not making it. Can you please check your spam folder? If it's not there, can you shoot me a PM with your email address so I can make sure you made it onto our list? We definitely don't want our sign-up form to be malfunctioning right before the survey goes out, so I want to contact our newsletter service if there are any issues.
liz is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 7th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Personal insults already? I'll accept broken record player... but not that.

I hardly think 21 posts of which 1/3 have been technical issues constitutes a troll.
I need to clarify something regarding your original post that has since been deleted. The original quote to which I'm referring is below...

Quote:
LWD has already misquoted the law in support of their argument for no print/export so I'm not really going to take their (or your) word for it.

Before you ask... LWD stated that the reason for no print/export was concerns about market material and use of it. But that ignores the actual intent and wording of such laws which punish the person who misuses the data... not the person/entity who creates a tool with the potential of doing so.

Anyone who knows anything about that area of law knows that nothing stops people from infringing. It's there to punish the person who does it.
This is a complete misunderstanding of what I was saying in that thread. There is absolutely NOTHING in there about LEGAL requirements or implications. We could easily let users export/print everything they want and be legally safe, exactly as you assert.

That thread has EVERYTHING to do with our ability to secure and maintain a LICENSE with any major publisher - a business reality for a company in our position. If we make it easy for users to pirate material, do you honestly think any major publisher will give us a license in the first place? Or let us keep a license the moment that their IP is readily pirated? We have to take the steps I outlined in that thread to appease the publishers with whom we enter into a license and safeguard their IP. Nothing more, nothing less.

We've got a pretty good handle on the legal front. We've been navigating those waters for well over a decade, and we have a very good Intellectual Property attorney. If anyone thinks we're misguided on the legal front, they should ask us for clarification instead of making assumptions that are likely to be incorrect.

I hope this clarifies things for you.
rob is offline   #20 Reply With Quote