Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

daplunk

Old October 23rd, 2016, 06:11 PM
Hi Team,

Any chance of enabling Horizontal Scroll Bars on the windows that display the topic structures?

As you can see below. It's becoming necessary.

http://imgur.com/a/7hwTy

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old October 23rd, 2016, 08:24 PM
Yes please. I can see myself slipping into the same problem one of these days.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old October 24th, 2016, 01:22 AM
+1

I already have the same problem, so: Yes, please!

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn
Greebo is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Dr_Automaton

Old October 24th, 2016, 04:26 AM
Yep, it would nice to have. +1
Dr_Automaton is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Joe
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 24th, 2016, 09:04 AM
One thing you can do as a temporary solution is to create a custom view that begins already partially deep within the tree. It's not perfect, as you can only create a limited number of custom views. But leveraging them in places deep in the hierarchy that you frequently access can be useful.
Joe is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Cornelius

Old October 25th, 2016, 02:07 AM
Although I agree with the request my first thought was: Maybe you want to rethink your structure. I see that you have a lot of topics that I would have entered as sections into one. But since I see only a part of the names I could be wrong.
For instance in the topic neverwinter I would create a section about the ruler. I am not sure what the topic 'ruler' has that I could or would not enter under the section in the Neverwinter topic. Due to the linking of topics when I put in the name of the ruler of Neverwinter I would get a link to that name. I do not need to have it under as a containing topic.. Also the two topics that are contained under it, what are they about? Not sure what information they reveal that cannot be used in the topics above them.

I use the containing option as a way to search through the topics. So I have split the search entries.
For example: In Neverwinter's merchant quarter I have a shop called the Golden Goose and it is run by Barliman Butterbur.

I would organize them as such:
- Neverwinter (settlement)
- Merchant quarter
- Golden Goose (in the topic is explained who the owner is and a link to its topic)
- Neverwinter castlist
- Barliman Butterbur (in the topic is explained he is the owner of the Golden Goose)

This way I can find out that Barliman Butterbur is the owner of the Golden Goose either through Barliman Butterbur or through the Golden Goose. and this depends upon the situation. If the PCs ask about who Butterbur is I can give them information and if they enter the Golden Goose they can get information. That way I only need to know where Barliman is from and not need to search through all the towns and cities to find him.
Cornelius is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old October 25th, 2016, 03:19 AM
You can watch here to see why it's setup this way.

Basically playing with an idea that would allow me identify the ruling body of a location very easily and to modify it very easily by simply dragging NPC's around.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old October 25th, 2016, 11:46 AM
We all have different approaches. Mine is definitely different from @daplunk's.

I put settlements on continents. I put locations in settlements. I put people in cast groups. Organizations are either universally grouped (like a cult) or grouped by city (primarily guilds). All people, places and things are linked as appropriate.

If someone asked me who Barliman is or where is from or where he has been, I'd search on Barliman, pull him up and check the connections. I don't have to know where he is and with the number of NPCs I have entered, there's no way I'd ever be able to memorize where each might be hiding.

While I personally won't ever need scroll bars due to deep linking, I think it should be in place just in case for those that organize that way and would allow me to shrink the left navigation and still find stuff on a smaller laptop screen.

Report RealmWorks bugs here
Report Pathfinder HeroLab bugs here
Report 5e HeroLab bugs here
Report 5e HeroLab Community Pack bugs here
AEIOU is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old October 25th, 2016, 02:42 PM
You should make a video so I can see your AEIOU

I still use relationships but to show family ties or ties to organisations.

I'm about to change the way I do Organisations completely. They need a master article for sure and then I will use relationships to link to it.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #9 Reply With Quote