Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

eponette

Old December 17th, 2013, 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOfAllGames View Post

Then finally, anyone getting the software right now will have 6 months to evaluate whether it is worthwhile. That's not bad at all for a trial period.
Indeed the 6 months trial period will be very useful to decide whether or not using the cloud functionality
eponette is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
lifer4700

Old December 17th, 2013, 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eponette View Post
50$ a year? I thought only the cloud service was on a yearly basis.
Yes, and that was what I was referring to. The cloud-based server functionality. The software itself does not require a cloud subscription to function. I was mentioning that the "Standard" level of cloud subscription is $50/year. And they are talking about having higher levels, undoubtedly with increased features/functionality that would be even more expensive.

They haven't yet announced exactly what the breakdown is, so I don't know for sure where the line that separates non-cloud vs cloud RW.

Is it as simple as ...
"Without the subscription, only the GM with the GM software can view the realm info?"
... and ...
"With the subscription, others can access the information as well, through a player client, or eventually with a web browser."

I don't know - but I think that's what I've gathered.

[EDIT]
Oh yeah, and that was my point. I would rather just host the database and server logic on my end instead of paying someone to do it for me.
[/EDIT]

Last edited by lifer4700; December 17th, 2013 at 05:40 AM.
lifer4700 is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old December 17th, 2013, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifer4700 View Post
And that's the part that I would rather have running on my server at home - but it sounds like that will not be an option.

I already have a dedicated server running ESXi, serving out forums, ftp sites, etc. I hate being forced to pay for something that I could do myself. Especially when the basic service is already $50 a year...
Folks,
Realmworks is NOT $50 a year. It will be $49.99 to start (for the software) which comes with 6 months of free Cloud service. The software itself, once bought is yours. The subscription service is for the cloud ONLY. There is no fee to maintain Realmworks other then the cloud.
Lifer you CAN host it yourself. It will limit some of the features of Realmworks of course. Like the syncing ability of the players and GM across the board. But you might be able to set that up as well. Cloud service is just a very good back end of the program.. one that is not needed but without it, it makes it seem a little lack luster. But I would suggest "trying" it first when it comes out (as you will get it for free for 6 months before worrying about if it is worth it yet.

Last edited by Nikmal; December 17th, 2013 at 06:18 AM.
Nikmal is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old December 17th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillBro Baggins View Post
You realize that when you buy Herolab, you actually get two licenses, right?
Yes, s/he does. S/he is asking if Realm Works licensing will be likewise.
EightBitz is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
lifer4700

Old December 17th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikmal View Post
Realmworks is NOT $50 a year.
You are correct. That has been stated many times. Realm Works does not require a subscription. I even state that in my post.

It's the cloud-based access that costs $50/year.

Quote:
Lifer you CAN host it yourself.
This is the opposite of what Rob said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
The web-based access will need to pull the data off of our server. That's necessary so that we can orchestrate all the security for ensuring individual players can only access exactly the information you've revealed to them - which is a rather complex process. So independent, web-based access for players will require the cloud service, as that's how everything gets up onto our server.
My highlighting

If I am misreading that, and it is possible for me to host those services on my own hardware without having to pay a monthly fee, then I will be very happy.

Last edited by lifer4700; December 17th, 2013 at 07:46 AM.
lifer4700 is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old December 17th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifer4700 View Post
It's the cloud-based access that costs $50/year.
Actually no price point has been set yet for the Cloud service. Also, based on what I am hearing, not just from Rob but in general. The cloud, while it does not need to be used is a service and one that I would do a wait and see before passing judgement and see what it is like first. Cloud service uses the sync which will allow players and GM's alike to be able to add notes and use the software to show the players what they are seeing and where they might have been and even to update their hero lab characters all on the fly while playing the game. The GM will get the updates as the players enter them too.

This will make Realmworks so much better by doing it. And such an important part. They have always said that this will be a pay service, but one that is not needed. While it is not needed without it, you just will not be able to partake of the full use of it is all.

I am not trying to be patronizing, just stating my opinion. For what it is worth. I think you would find Realmworks so much better for the Cloud service sir Though the price point has not been mentioned, I would mitigate it with getting a monthly chip in from the group you are playing with.. as the cloud service would be just as much for them as it would be for you, the GM.
Nikmal is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
lifer4700

Old December 17th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Actually no price point has been set yet for the Cloud service.
Yes, it has.
...includes 6 months of our standard tier cloud service (a $24.99 value)

$25 for 6 months = $50 per year. - And that's just the lowest tier of service.

Quote:
Cloud service uses the sync which will allow players and GM's alike to be able to add notes and use the software to show the players what they are seeing and where they might have been and even to update their hero lab characters all on the fly while playing the game. The GM will get the updates as the players enter them too.
I am well aware of what the could-based service entails. I want (need?) this functionality, since my players do not sit next to each other. I do not run a face-to-face game. Player View is nearly useless for me. The only way any of my players will be able to see anything from Realm Works is to connect with a player client or a web browser - unless I take screenshots or print PDFs and send them to my players.

As I have plainly stated before, my question is not whether or not I want the functionality, it's that I would rather not pay for someone else to host something that I could host myself.

[EDIT]
It almost feels like that guy standing in the bathroom of a fancy restaurant that hands you a towel, then expects you to tip him. I could've picked up the towel myself, thanks.
[/EDIT]

Last edited by lifer4700; December 17th, 2013 at 11:17 AM.
lifer4700 is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old December 17th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Lifer4700. Got ya. But there is the other option too... donations from your group then. Have them kick in on the subscription. After all it is for them as much as it for you, the GM.
Nikmal is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old December 17th, 2013, 11:48 AM
lifer4700, I believe LWD has stated multiple times that, at least out of the gate, doing virtual tabletop style gaming is not the initial purpose/expected use for RW. I think that in order for you to get that kind of immediacy for the player view out to your players you either need to set up a method for them to have a virtual view to your player view or the only other way to sort of redo what they are doing on the back-end is to be a professional DBA and flat-out figure out both the database format and what kind of middle-tier you're going to use to work with it in. In other words you'd need to be an SQL/Tomcat/JBoss/WhatHaveYou programmer to get that kind of functionality that will be available through their cloud service. So the question is do you have the skills to do it and if you did would it really be worth the time it would take to do all of that rather than just letting the RealWorks Cloud Service handle it for you? That's what I meant earlier about this not being a typical file-sharing kind of site.

Now if you have the skills, awesome, maybe you could find out from the LWD team the details you'd need to set it all up they way you want, but I think it's pretty obvious that the VAST majority of their customers are either not going to have those kinds of skill or would not want to take the time to do it themselves. So I think either going for the Cloud Service is the answer, or setting up a virtual desktop for your players to window to would be the answer (or interject it into a dynamic web page if you've got those skills anyway.)

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
lifer4700

Old December 17th, 2013, 01:19 PM
As a matter of fact, yes. I am familiar with SQL/RDBMS, serving WAR/EAR files via JBoss/WebLogic/etc, WSDL and SOA based service calls, and all that stuff, as well as Kerberos, LDAP, and just about every other web and network based acronym out there.

I work for a major software company, and we deal with App Servers delivering content from Oracle/DB2/MSSQL all the time, to both our Rich Client (Eclipse RCP app) and also to a Thin Client (web browser).

I also would certainly NOT want to re-write any of the middle tier code, or re-create any RDBMS tables, or anything of that nature. I simply want to be able to install the already written server logic on my servers.

I want to point to my RDBMS database instead of theirs. I want to put that WAR file on my AppServer.

Much like our software. Our company will host everything for you if you want. You can subscribe to our cloud-based servers. Or you can pay Amazon to do it. Or you can install everything yourself and maintain it yourself on your own hardware, in your own datacenter. The choice is yours, we don't care. We'll come in to set everything up, if you want to pay us to do it, or you can do it on your own.

Last edited by lifer4700; December 17th, 2013 at 01:27 PM.
lifer4700 is offline   #40 Reply With Quote