Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Zane_Marlowe

Old April 29th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Isn't the general practice to criticize a tool for not doing what it's supposed to do? How is it fair to criticize the tool for not doing something it didn't advertise that it would do? Honest question.

Also, have you read the product documentation? I poked at the software when I first got it, played with it a little, and realized that I'd need to read up a little to get how the program worked. I have, I now do, and it seems to do what it said it would do very well.
Zane_Marlowe is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old April 29th, 2014, 06:52 PM
I'm actually glad he started this thread, it's actually shook us up and actually got me trying stuff.

BoomerET

Castles & Crusades Ruleset for Hero Lab
Hero Lab (5E D&D) -> Fantasy Grounds Character Converter
BoomerET is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old April 29th, 2014, 07:22 PM
You can put links to things like websites in RealmWorks if you wanted to link to any web-based generators, should you need something like that. However, to me, I don't see that being the biggest thing a GM needs at all. What I find is mostly needed is the ability to annotate, on the fly, that drunken town guard whose name I had to quickly had to make up, and the information he gave the party. That, to me, is where Realm Works really shines. No mare losing the page in a notebook where I had the info written down previously and, once the player version is available, the ability for my players to look all of that up, too. Something particularly tough for us with 2 games a week rotating between 4 different games. And whenever we have to miss a night for some reason that means it could be several weeks between the last time we played someone's campaign and the reminders can be sorely needed.

I'd also add that when it comes to the hierarchical/organizational elements of Realm Works... yeah, it may not be the easiest thing to just jump right into, but like most things you only get out of it what you put into it. I will say having added into Realm Works an entire campaign setting from a published source that I was able to set the structure up almost exactly like it is in the book, but with all the bonuses of linked topics and such that Realm Works brings to the table. So I'm not too sure what the issue is there beyond just a lack of interest in trying to see how flexible Realm Works really is, maybe?

I might agree that it's not necessarily completely intuitive to jump into Realm Works, but that also appears to be a function of its incredible flexibility. Rather like the nature of the beast, if you will. Learning how to use a massively powerful tool like Photoshop isn't necessarily easy or intuitive either, but what can be accomplished once you've taken the time to learn it is simply phenomenal. I think Realm Works is software that falls under the same principle. It will take some work, but I think maybe you should give it a bit more time and effort, and do as others have suggested here and let us know where things don't seem to be working the way you want them to, and you may find it's a very strong application capable of a great deal more than you seem to think it can do now.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
pickin_grinnin

Old April 29th, 2014, 11:06 PM
As mentioned in another thread, I think a basic wizard to help new folks get started putting in the basics of a new realm would be very useful.
pickin_grinnin is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old April 30th, 2014, 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickin_grinnin View Post
As mentioned in another thread, I think a basic wizard to help new folks get started putting in the basics of a new realm would be very useful.
But which way? There are multiple ways to do things. Which would the wizard do? How does it decide which way the person thinks might be best?
MaxSupernova is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old April 30th, 2014, 08:07 AM
It's a wizard, I'm sure there's must be some spell depending on his level to read the thoughts of the user.
(Yes, this was an attempt at humor)

BoomerET

Castles & Crusades Ruleset for Hero Lab
Hero Lab (5E D&D) -> Fantasy Grounds Character Converter
BoomerET is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old April 30th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerET View Post
It's a wizard, I'm sure there's must be some spell depending on his level to read the thoughts of the user.
(Yes, this was an attempt at humor)

BoomerET
Pa-dum-tish!

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Viral Platypus

Old April 30th, 2014, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickin_grinnin View Post
Once the Marketplace goes up, I'm sure there will be plenty of examples to get people going. I'd even be willing to do up a quick example of a realm with a very short adventure and put it up as a way to do things.
Viral Platypus is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
immotus

Old May 2nd, 2014, 01:21 PM
This thing is making me nuts. So ... when you reveal a map isnt it supposed to be viewable in the player preview tab or what? All I see is a blank screen and I have the map revealed in the owning topic so I should be able to see it in the preview? Yes?
immotus is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old May 2nd, 2014, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by immotus View Post
This thing is making me nuts. So ... when you reveal a map isnt it supposed to be viewable in the player preview tab or what? All I see is a blank screen and I have the map revealed in the owning topic so I should be able to see it in the preview? Yes?
Click Help->Manual->Realm Works Quickstart Guide, then see pages 27 through 33. They talk you through exactly how to do what you want, with step by step instructions and highlighted screenshots of every step.

I think you really need to take some time to read the documentation.
MaxSupernova is offline   #20 Reply With Quote