Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

Kendall-DM
Spy

Old October 15th, 2018, 08:35 PM
I know what is causing the error. I'm not sure how to handle it, or rather, I'm not sure I understand what is happening in order to handle it, if at all.

All my shields have a weapon I bootstrap to it called Shield Bash.

I've worked it out that I can make a custom magic shield and everything works out great.

I've since decided to make a new specific magical shield in the custom editor, and I put a shield as a gizmo on the new magic shield.

Unfortunately, I get errors on the BaseWep component of the wShieldBash weapon I created and bootstrapped to each shield. When I created the magical shield, that shield is the target of all the BaseWep component scripts. Which makes me believe the bootstrap method was incorrect (mind you, I've had this bootstrapped for a couple of years, and this is the first time I've created a specific shield OR added a specific shield to a hero).

Turns out, every specific shield (even the ones in the d20 set) are getting these errors. It's all because I've bootstrapped that Shield Bash weapon to the shields.

Is there another transition I'm missing? I can't imagine it's a gizmo, and I don't know any other way to attach it to a shield outside of bootstrapping it. That is trying to transition to the shield and it cannot find certain fields, such as wDamage and wAttack.

I wondered if anyone might have encountered something like this before with bootstrapping to armor and specific armors. Is this something that can be resolved or has a work around for? I would have thought the transition would just be to the shield gizmo, but it isn't. It's transitioning to the magic armor that I created that's a magic shield and not finding fields that are normally reserved for being on weapons.

Last edited by Kendall-DM; October 15th, 2018 at 08:38 PM.
Kendall-DM is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 15th, 2018, 08:54 PM
Can you provide the raw XML data for this shield and shield bash that is causing you errors. I think it will be a little easier for me to figure out if I can visually see the issue or duplicate the problem.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old October 16th, 2018, 03:35 AM
I ran into a similar problem a while back, and ended up only having shield bash attached to regular shields. Hopefully, you'll have more luck figuring this out than I did.
Sendric is online now   #3 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old October 18th, 2018, 09:20 AM
My shield bash is bootstrapped to regular shields. That’s causing the error when making a specific shield through the editor (but not in the custom shield interface).

Shadow, I’ll dig up what I have created. It’s three things. The specific shield I created (though it errors on any specific shield), the shield bash weapon, and the shield itself. Just haven’t been home long enough to get it to you this week.
Kendall-DM is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old October 18th, 2018, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall-DM View Post
My shield bash is bootstrapped to regular shields. That’s causing the error when making a specific shield through the editor (but not in the custom shield interface).

Shadow, I’ll dig up what I have created. It’s three things. The specific shield I created (though it errors on any specific shield), the shield bash weapon, and the shield itself. Just haven’t been home long enough to get it to you this week.
Yes, the community set version is also bootstrapped to regular shields. My recollection is that this is a core bug issue, but my understanding of how "container" works is limited. I avoid the errors by making sure not to bootstrap shield bash when using a custom or specific shield.
Sendric is online now   #5 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old October 18th, 2018, 02:27 PM
If I can be provided a working example of the error I am willing to look into it and hopefully provide a solution. Either in how you have this scripted or by fixing the core software.

Basically if you can provide a single .user file with specific steps to duplicate it I have a much higher chance of fixing it.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old October 18th, 2018, 06:43 PM
Just so you know, if I remove the bootstrapped Shield Bash on the regular shield, then when that regular shield is used as a gizmo on the specific shield, it doesn't error. It does appear to be core functionality, I was hoping there was a workaround. Can't get anything together tonight, but will try tomorrow night to get something out to you.
Kendall-DM is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old October 19th, 2018, 03:24 AM
I've taken the community file that contains shield bash and stripped out everything not pertinent and attached it here. To reproduce the errors, simply add an "Absorbing Shield" to your portfolio and equip it. This file will function in a clean version of the d20 set.

Note: To reduce clutter this file will only bootstrap shield bash to heavy steel shields.
Attached Files
File Type: email shield_bash.user (2.3 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Sendric; October 19th, 2018 at 03:29 AM.
Sendric is online now   #8 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old October 19th, 2018, 10:54 AM
Thanks Sendric!

Code:
Attempt to access field 'wAttBonus' that does not exist for thing 'iAbsorbShl'
Location: 'eval' script for Component 'BaseWep' (Eval Script '#1') near line 138
- - -
Attempt to access field 'wAttBonus' that does not exist for thing 'iAbsorbShl'
Location: 'eval' script for Component 'BaseWep' (Eval Script '#1') near line 138
- - -
Attempt to access field 'wAttRanged' that does not exist for thing 'iAbsorbShl'
Location: 'eval' script for Component 'BaseWep' (Eval Script '#1') near line 139
- - -
Attempt to access field 'wAttRanged' that does not exist for thing 'iAbsorbShl'
Location: 'eval' script for Component 'BaseWep' (Eval Script '#1') near line 139
- - -
Attempt to access field 'wDamBonus' that does not exist for thing 'iAbsorbShl'
Location: 'eval' script for Component 'BaseWep' (Eval Script '#1') near line 142
- - -
Attempt to access field 'wDamBonus' that does not exist for thing 'iAbsorbShl'
Location: 'eval' script for Component 'BaseWep' (Eval Script '#1') near line 142
- - -
Attempt to access field 'wDamRanged' that does not exist for thing 'iAbsorbShl'
Location: 'eval' script for Component 'BaseWep' (Eval Script '#1') near line 143
- - -
Attempt to access field 'wDamRanged' that does not exist for thing 'iAbsorbShl'
Location: 'eval' script for Component 'BaseWep' (Eval Script '#1') near line 143
- - -
Attempt to access field 'wFixDamage' that does not exist for thing 'iAbsorbShl'
Location: 'eval' script for Component 'BaseWep' (Eval Script '#1') near line 146
- - -
Attempt to access field 'wMaxStr' that does not exist for thing 'iAbsorbShl'
Location: 'field calculate' script for Field 'gCost' near line 10
Just to verify the above is the errors I am seeing when equipping the Absorbing Shield. Assuming that is correct I will try and take a look this weekend and see what I can figure out.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old October 19th, 2018, 02:46 PM
Bingo! Those are the exact errors I'm getting as well.
Kendall-DM is offline   #10 Reply With Quote