Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

edgelett

Old April 28th, 2019, 01:17 PM
Hi all,

been using Hero Lab for years but this is my first time posting here, because it's my first time making a druid.

My druid has just reached level 3 so I levelled her up and also tried to level up her animal companion, and it doesn't seem to be working right.

the 3.5 PHB says that once a druid hits level 3 their animal companion gets 2 extra hit die and +1 to both str and dex.

However when I use Hero Lab to update my wolf, the hit die seems to work ok but the ability points don't - instead it is asking me to 'select' which stat I want to increase. I selected Str and tried to increase Dex and it said I had chosen too many ability points, and more importantly it seemed to be levelling up my animal companion like a player character - Hero Lab seems to think the wolf gets one stat point every 4 levels, and also wanted me to select a feat for it? The PHB doesn't say anything about animal companions getting feats you can select, only tricks.

it's also asking me to assign skill points - PHB doesn't mention that either.

I checked the errata and I can't find any mention of animal companions getting stat points of their choice every 4 levels or feats.

How can I get Hero Lab to let me pick both Str and Dex when my druid hits level 3, 6, 9 etc?
Has there been a rule change i missed?

Thanks
edgelett is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old April 29th, 2019, 07:58 PM
I think you're doing it incorrectly.

On your druid hero, go to the druid tab and click the button in the upper left to select your animal companion. This will add the companion and tie it to your druid levels, rather than having to add it manually as you are attempting. Doing through the druid tab will automatically add what is needed each time the druid levels.

Let me know if that helps. It's just built into the druid (same thing you do when selecting your arcane familiar for Sorcerer/Wizard).
Kendall-DM is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
edgelett

Old April 30th, 2019, 03:54 AM
Maybe I haven't explained myself correctly - I haven't created the animal companion as a separate creature, i've created a druid and added an animal companion to that character in Hero Lab.

When I level up my druid and then click on the companion, it's only letting me add +1 to ANY stat (not +1 to str and dex as per the PHB) and is trying to give it a feat and skill points.

I'll post some screen shots to explain what I mean
edgelett is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
edgelett

Old April 30th, 2019, 04:02 AM
ok i've attached the image of my druid at lvl 3, and the animal companion screens.
I click on my animal companion and it allows me to add +1 to ANY one stat rather than +1 to both strength and dex.
When i click on skills and on feats it wants me to add to these too, despite the fact the PHB doesn't say that these get added for druid companions.

Is there something i'm not doing right here?
or is Hero Lab wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: png druid 1.png (226.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: png druid 2.png (105.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: png druid 3.png (453.1 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by edgelett; April 30th, 2019 at 04:05 AM.
edgelett is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
TCArknight

Old April 30th, 2019, 04:14 AM
It looks like it’s already added +1 to Str and Dex. Yours has a Str 14, Dex 16 but a normal wolf has a 13 and a 15 like http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/wolf.htm

The +1 selection looks to be the “4th Level” advancement...

Working on -
  • (SWADE) WIP Savage Rifts
  • Savage Rifts (Deluxe): Update link in This post
  • Star Trek Adventures: Update link in This post
TCArknight is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old April 30th, 2019, 12:05 PM
Interesting. I just did the same thing, 3 levels of druid and wolf companion, I do not get these issues. Not sure what’s wrong here, my setup is the same, but I don't get the attribute selection for 4th level. As TCArknight mentions, it does appear to be supplying the regular +1 attribute bonus already.
Kendall-DM is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
edgelett

Old April 30th, 2019, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCArknight View Post
It looks like it’s already added +1 to Str and Dex. Yours has a Str 14, Dex 16 but a normal wolf has a 13 and a 15 like http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/wolf.htm

The +1 selection looks to be the “4th Level” advancement...
ah right - so I just ignore the options to add a stat, skill points and a feat?
edgelett is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old April 30th, 2019, 09:00 PM
No - don't ignore the extra +1 Stat, etc. You get to choose that since your wolf just reached 4HD. From PHB: "An animal companion gains additional skill points and feats for bonus HD as normal for advancing a monsters Hit Dice (see Monster Manual)."

The bonuses for being a Druid companion are automatically calculated when your Druid levels. Like PC's, NPC's (most Monsters, etc) all gain feats every 3rd level, and a Stat increase every 4th level, and Skill points - these you choose how to assign.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
edgelett

Old May 1st, 2019, 04:58 PM
aaaaaaah.
ok thanks what page in the PHB is that on so I can point it out to my DM?

Thanks everyone for your help - made a hell of a lot of characters on Hero Lab but never a druid so a learning curve for me.

Thanks again
edgelett is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old May 1st, 2019, 07:16 PM
Yes, you get the feat every three Hit Dice and the skill points each Hit Die.

What you should not be getting is the +1 attribute for every 4 Hit Dice. That should only occur every 4 class levels, but obviously a wolf is not a class. I have no idea how you got that to work edgelett, but try as I might, I can't get a wolf or any other animal companion a +1 attribute per 4 Hit Dice. That is the thing that baffles me. Is it in Hero configuration? Custom animal? Custom script? Just don't know.
Kendall-DM is offline   #10 Reply With Quote