Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

cshadow133

Old March 25th, 2019, 11:37 AM
Hello All,

I made a class of DruidWD; this was a copy of the Druid class with the added benefit of Domains from the cleric list (just one instead of selecting two).

Well, the character is now level 5 and for some reason isn't being offered the Wild Shape ability. The normal Druid gets it but not the one I created. I am using the Wild Shape Adjustments in the configurator (i like the way that it does each thing), but can't seem to find that it targets Druid class.

Wondering what might be missing on my end for something like this?

Shadow
cshadow133 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old March 25th, 2019, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshadow133 View Post
Hello All,

I made a class of DruidWD; this was a copy of the Druid class with the added benefit of Domains from the cleric list (just one instead of selecting two).

Well, the character is now level 5 and for some reason isn't being offered the Wild Shape ability. The normal Druid gets it but not the one I created. I am using the Wild Shape Adjustments in the configurator (i like the way that it does each thing), but can't seem to find that it targets Druid class.

Wondering what might be missing on my end for something like this?

Shadow
Can't say without seeing the class in action. Can you provide the user file?
Sendric is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
cshadow133

Old March 26th, 2019, 07:40 AM
Sendric,

Here is the user file!

Shadow
Attached Files
File Type: email 0000 Test.user (19.2 KB, 1 views)
cshadow133 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old March 26th, 2019, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Sendric,

Here is the user file!

Shadow
Thanks. So the problem here is that everything that is bootstrapped to your new class is assigned to the original Druid class. Therefore, they won't show up. You *could* re-create all of the class specials with the new tag and corrected scripting. Or you *could* use extend thingid to apply the required tag to the existing specials. Either solution pales in comparison to the best solution which is to create a Druid Class Variant that adds this new Domain special. This will give you the new ability without causing any issues with the rest of the specials or any scripts or any other feats/abilities/whatever that are looking for Druid levels or abilities.
Sendric is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
cshadow133

Old March 26th, 2019, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
Either solution pales in comparison to the best solution which is to create a Druid Class Variant that adds this new Domain special. This will give you the new ability without causing any issues with the rest of the specials or any scripts or any other feats/abilities/whatever that are looking for Druid levels or abilities.
This is what I was trying to do when I copied the Druid class to the new one. How do you set up a variant to make this all simpler?
cshadow133 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old March 27th, 2019, 10:18 AM
Quote:
This is what I was trying to do when I copied the Druid class to the new one. How do you set up a variant to make this all simpler?
There's a Class Variant tab in the editor. You'll want to use that. It should be pretty straight forward to create but if you get stuck let us know. Once you've created it, make sure to activate Variant Classes in the portfolio configuration window.
Sendric is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
cshadow133

Old March 29th, 2019, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
There's a Class Variant tab in the editor. You'll want to use that. It should be pretty straight forward to create but if you get stuck let us know. Once you've created it, make sure to activate Variant Classes in the portfolio configuration window.
Letting you know. It may be straight forward for you guys, but to me... not so much. I created Class Variant 'Druid Domain'.

Class to Modify - Druid
Variant Class Level - (blank)
Add or Replace the Class' name - Append (so I can see it on the list)
Modified Custom Ability Count - Row 0 = 1
Allow Additional Class Abilities - Cleric
Additional Class Special Abilities - I selected Domain Access that was from the Sorc variant, but it isn't doing anything.

I don't see it in the list of classes when leveling up the character (Variant classes are selected in the Configure Hero).

help?

Shadow
cshadow133 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old March 29th, 2019, 03:32 PM
Attach what you have so far and I'll take a look.
Sendric is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old March 30th, 2019, 04:01 PM
BTW, I've made a Druid class variant that allows for choice of a cleric domain. I added Druid variant with Class to Modify: Druid, just as you did.

I also set the custom ability count to 1 and selected additional abilities of cleric, just as you did. Unlike you, I set these programmatically rather than through the interface (because this is what I had to do to get my homebrew version to work).

There is an issue with Cleric/Druid multi-classes, so I had to write a script to handle that special case, but otherwise that's the only other thing I did for the Variant in the editor. This is a house rule in my game that doesn't allow a druid/cleric to use the same domain (and double up on the spells).

So, now that you have selected the Use Variant Classes from the Configure Hero menu, did you also select that class (your new Druid) on the Variant tab that shows up on your hero? If you don't select the Druid on the Variant tab of the hero, you will still be using the old version of the Druid.
Kendall-DM is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
cshadow133

Old April 1st, 2019, 11:13 AM
Oh, I see what I was doing incorrectly. Thank you Kendall for mentioning the Variant tab. I was looking for a list of variant classes, not choosing the class and then the variant. I see what I did and what I had set actually worked, it gave me a custom ability on my spells list and allowed me to pick my domain.

Just not able to choose the spells because I don't have the space to put 'domain spells' like I was able to when creating the class. So if you were able to do this with the programming, how so? Here is what I currently have. I will tweak the names later.

Shadow
Attached Files
File Type: email 0000 Test.user (19.5 KB, 1 views)
cshadow133 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote