Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Dracones

Old January 11th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Now that you guys are wrapping up Mac support, would it at all be possible to tweak Hero Lab to work 100% under Wine on Linux?

The product is pretty much 99.9% of the way there. The only bug I've seen so far for the Pathfinder ruleset is a memory allocation issue that causes a crash if I try to add more than 18 items of gear to a character.

Code:
X Error of failed request:  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  53 (X_CreatePixmap)
  Serial number of failed request:  451842
  Current serial number in output stream:  455271
Really, you could probably spend a couple days getting up to speed installing Linux/Wine, duplicate the above bug, spend another day asking the people on the Wine mailing lists to help and likely fix the issue pretty handily.

Then you'd be able to add "Linux(wine)" to your list of supported operating systems and make a lot of dorks out there pretty happy.
Dracones is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
MisterDrow

Old January 11th, 2012, 02:07 PM
I ran it using CrossoverGames from codeweavers.com before switching to the Mac Beta... if you don't mind dropping $30 on Crossover, it's well worth it.
MisterDrow is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 12th, 2012, 05:32 AM
As much as I'd like to say this is a great idea, we're currently months behind where we wanted to be due to delays getting the Mac version developed and a number of other development speed bumps on other projects. So there are a bunch of critical things we need to get caught up on before we can afford the luxury of spending a week or more focused on Linux support.
rob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Dracones

Old January 12th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDrow View Post
I ran it using CrossoverGames from codeweavers.com before switching to the Mac Beta... if you don't mind dropping $30 on Crossover, it's well worth it.
Crossover is still Wine, but I downloaded the demo, tried it on the demo for Hero Lab and loaded in the problem character and it seems to work fine. So it looks like that'll work or I should be able to tweak wine to work around whatever bug I'm running into. Thanks for the tip.

And I totally understand about the schedule thing Rob. I know you guys have probably been busting arse getting the Pathfinder starter box edition out and working on the Mac version.
Dracones is offline   #4 Reply With Quote