Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Tipmoose

Old May 24th, 2016, 04:36 AM
I know this can't be as difficult as I'm making it...

It appears that Realm Works requires an internet connection every time it launches and that it is not possible to use the product without being online. Yet I've read several places that its possible to run RW without an internet connection. I would like to know how.

What I've done is this:

1) Installed RW on a laptop with internet connection.
2) Created a realm on laptop and synced changes to cloud.
3) Close app.
4) Disconnect from internet and relaunch app.
5) During splash screen load, get message about RW not being able to register with the server.
6) RW exits.

What I want to do is take the laptop with me on trips and work on my realm while traveling on a plane. This doesn't seem to be possible.
Tipmoose is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 24th, 2016, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipmoose View Post
I know this can't be as difficult as I'm making it...

It appears that Realm Works requires an internet connection every time it launches and that it is not possible to use the product without being online. Yet I've read several places that its possible to run RW without an internet connection. I would like to know how.

What I've done is this:

1) Installed RW on a laptop with internet connection.
2) Created a realm on laptop and synced changes to cloud.
3) Close app.
4) Disconnect from internet and relaunch app.
5) During splash screen load, get message about RW not being able to register with the server.
6) RW exits.

What I want to do is take the laptop with me on trips and work on my realm while traveling on a plane. This doesn't seem to be possible.
What you describe sounds like your laptop has hardware changes when you disconnect from the Internet. Due to those changes, Realm Works thinks it is now running on new hardware and needs to contact the server to make sure there won't be any problems while running disconnected.

To identify what might be causing this, it would probably be best to open a support case.
davidp is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Tipmoose

Old May 24th, 2016, 12:13 PM
Okay...I think I've found a workaround...or maybe this is how it's supposed to work. Im not sure.

Here is how I was finally able to open RW offline and not have it try to phone home during launch:

1) Launch RW with internet available.
2) Splash screen loads and Launcher appears with login screen.
3) Choose to Work Offline and open my local realm.
4) RW opens local realm in offline mode and all is well.
5) Close RW.
6) Disconnect from internet.
7) Launch RW and it defaults to offline mode and does not try to connect to your server.

If I do not first select to work offline, it will always try to connect to your server.
Tipmoose is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 24th, 2016, 12:47 PM
That's NOT how it normally works. As David indicated, something is wonky with the way your laptop operates. Please submit a support ticket.
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Dr_Automaton

Old May 24th, 2016, 02:35 PM
Just a shot in the dark, but the OP might be going offline using his laptop's Airplane Mode, which would also kill Bluetooth and anything else. I know that's caused problems for me in the past.
Dr_Automaton is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Tipmoose

Old May 24th, 2016, 05:50 PM
Ok. Its official. I'm an idiot.

I use a docking station at home to connect my laptop to two monitors. Obviously I don't use said docking station when away from home. I am guessing this is what the software is detecting as hardware changes.

Sorry for the false alarm and thanks for being patient with me.
Tipmoose is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 24th, 2016, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipmoose View Post
I use a docking station at home to connect my laptop to two monitors. Obviously I don't use said docking station when away from home. I am guessing this is what the software is detecting as hardware changes.

Sorry for the false alarm and thanks for being patient with me.
Yes, a docking station can do it.
davidp is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old May 25th, 2016, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidp View Post
Yes, a docking station can do it.
It appears your software should probably detect this. It is not acceptable that a docking station would cause problems with your software like this.
Toblakai is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old May 25th, 2016, 03:46 PM
Hi there!

Just a note on the side - not sure if entirely related to the issue above:
I have bought a new laptop and installed RW. Everything Works well.
But later that day the wlan adapter of the laptop made some problems.
After a forced reboot and various kinds of repair attempts of the wlan adapter, I uninstalled it in the device manager and after it detected the hardware again, I tried to run RW.

After this action RW required an internet reconnect for me.

Imho it would be sufficient to check some main hardwareparts like motherboard / cpu to identify hardware changes. In case it could be an issue that you want to look into I can create a ticket for this issue but I am not sure is this working as intended or not related at all?

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net

Last edited by Acenoid; May 25th, 2016 at 04:43 PM. Reason: clarification
Acenoid is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Destrin

Old June 3rd, 2016, 01:21 AM
Pretty much any hardware change breaks RW's offline detection model, docking stations will do it, even basic VPN software which uses a virtual network adapter which randomises a MAC address each boot will do it. I've not been able to ever use RW offline because of the VPN issue and it's been a major barrier to use. I'm really hoping it gets fixed at some point, the logic seems overly protective of ensuring that you are registered and that is a problem for anyone who want to do campaign prep offline.
Destrin is offline   #10 Reply With Quote