Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Indus101

Old February 3rd, 2015, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall-DM View Post
Ok, crap, I just remembered that the Calendars can be lined up so that the dates do match. It's entirely possible once you get two Calendars in alignment to convert one to the other. Earlier in the Beta I had removed by Gregorian Calendar (and thus, crashed my RW at that time), but there is a system in place were you can match a date from one calendar with a date from another calendar and it will be able to percolate that change for all dates from one calendar to the next (through all the years, centruries, epochs, etc. as long as you have them set up). So there is more than likely a conversion that is done by mapping a date from one calendar to the next. At least that was the case in the early Beta, but that may of changed since then. If it is even remotely the same, the conversion will be cake.
I don't see the feature you're talking about or else don't know how to access it.
Indus101 is offline   #81 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old February 4th, 2015, 01:52 AM
I believe that some of the calendar features are currently disabled, even for the Beta team, which includes the ability to map calendars to each other.

Kendall is correct, though, since I know I'm going to have at least 4 calendars running alongside each other, mapped together:

1) The Calendar of Harptos
2) The Gregorian Calendar
3) Phases of Selune
4) Phases of Luna

For campaign reasons, 1 & 2 will be mapped so that 1 January 2000 0:00:00 is equal to 1 Hammer 1369 0:00:00, and I'm going to get Selune lined up according to the Forgotten Realms calendar tool (which I downloaded from WotC years ago), and Luna lined up to the Gregorian calendar.

Then all my date snippets will be in the Calendar of Harptos with the ability to see the others.

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works
Chemlak is offline   #82 Reply With Quote
gloranphile

Old February 4th, 2015, 06:24 AM
All I can do here is speak for myself.

I've never used any of Lone Wolf's other tools, mostly because they don't fit in with my particular system of choice (RuneQuest 6e).

When I saw the sample video on Kickstarter, and read through the plans for the future of Realm Works, I saw the potential, and backed it as a beta user. This means I invested quite a bit of my personal money in a product from a company I'd never used before (far more than what people pay for just the GM side of RW today).

But I didn't just do this blindly, throwing my money to the wind. I did my research on Lone Wolf and what others had to say about products like HL. The overwhelming consensus was that they do good work with solid, quality products.

I've seen Realm Works from (almost) the beginning, with the smaller beta releases and later on, the release candidates, it became an ever stronger tool. One I feel proud of backing. Rob and his team have put out a solid, quality GM tool that has completely changed the way I prepare, play, plan, and share information with my players.

Is it lacking some much-wanted items (like Journals, calendars, etc.)? Of course it is, but that's why Rob and the team wanted to get our feedback on what's important to us!

It will come in time. When [insert wanted survey item here] shows up, some people will be happy, but not everyone. That's the nature of the beast. Does everyone love Microsoft Word 2013 over 2004, or Windows 8.1 over 7? Or the changes to Facebook that come out every week? NO.

The benefit of seeing something like Realm Works grow is the small company that makes LWD uniquely approachable. They WILL try to fix errors and problems, and are being extremely open to what WE as users want by asking us. That beats Microsoft or Apple or any major corporation out there.

I for one am happy to be a small part of that, by voting for what I think is important and by posting constructive and helpful requests in this forum. The rest, I leave up to Rob and his team.
gloranphile is offline   #83 Reply With Quote
weogarth

Old February 4th, 2015, 08:50 AM
FWIW, I'm more than happy enough with RW to keep using it and LWD's insistence on a quality product and 'doing things the right way' are a large part of that.

I am slightly bummed out about the calendars and the timeframe that Rob is guestimating for them but I will use the journals a lot and the content market is going to be critical for the long-term health of the product.

That being said, I'm seriously put out by all the negativity and lack of civility in this thread, some of which has (as I feared it would) caused delays in the product cycle.

I hope, as someone mentioned, that this thread will have some sort of net positive effect down the road.
weogarth is offline   #84 Reply With Quote
Indus101

Old February 4th, 2015, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemlak View Post
I believe that some of the calendar features are currently disabled, even for the Beta team, which includes the ability to map calendars to each other.

Kendall is correct, though, since I know I'm going to have at least 4 calendars running alongside each other, mapped together:

1) The Calendar of Harptos
2) The Gregorian Calendar
3) Phases of Selune
4) Phases of Luna

For campaign reasons, 1 & 2 will be mapped so that 1 January 2000 0:00:00 is equal to 1 Hammer 1369 0:00:00, and I'm going to get Selune lined up according to the Forgotten Realms calendar tool (which I downloaded from WotC years ago), and Luna lined up to the Gregorian calendar.

Then all my date snippets will be in the Calendar of Harptos with the ability to see the others.
Hah, Chemlak, sounds like you're running the same campaign as me

Anywho, good to know it's there, even if currently disabled. That doesn't really address my query about the Content Market and the integration of all said content that (most likely) will not be Gregorian calendar, but good to know there's a system in place for one day.
Indus101 is offline   #85 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old February 4th, 2015, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indus101 View Post
I don't see the feature you're talking about or else don't know how to access it.
They aren't currently surfaced. In the very beginnings of RW, there was a great deal of functionality to add multiple calendars, and to line them up according to a date (all of them). Those are not present. However, since I had originally created multiple calenders back then (and broke them a bunch), mine are still there, though I'm only able to use one live calendar (the others are there, but if I don't make them live, they don't really do anything at the moment).
Kendall-DM is offline   #86 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old February 4th, 2015, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloranphile View Post
This means I invested quite a bit of my personal money in a product from a company I'd never used before (far more than what people pay for just the GM side of RW today).
Not as much as I had! :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloranphile View Post
Does everyone love Microsoft Word 2013 over 2004, or Windows 8.1 over 7?
Windows 8.1 is my bane, just one of the worst products Microsoft has produced, especially for software development. Hate that product, but my boss has forced me to at least have one of my VMs set up with it.

Last edited by Kendall-DM; February 4th, 2015 at 03:59 PM.
Kendall-DM is offline   #87 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old February 4th, 2015, 10:12 AM
I run Windows 8.1 on 3 out of 4 of my systems, my main desktop, my Laptop, my media PC. My surface Pro is now Windows 10 Preview.

With the edition of Start 8, Fences and Modern Mix all from Stardock I think windows 8.1 is fine. Terrible out of the gate with out Start 8 though for non-touch screens, but the back end is rock solid. My systems have never been so stable. Fences is just awesoem for me, as I run 5760x1080 Eyefinity, and fences is just a great program. Modern Mix is nice, since I can run any Metro App in a desktop window.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #88 Reply With Quote
PetriWessman

Old February 4th, 2015, 11:17 AM
Well, for what it's worth, I'm also a Kickstarter backer, and of course I'm a bit disappointed by some features taking a long, long time to materialize. On the other hand, I'm also a software developer myself and am all too familiar with how difficult guesstimating timetables for stuff like this is, especially when building a brand-new platform and type of product. Delays suck, but they also happen and sometimes there is no easy way to speed things up (taking resource considerations into account).

On the plus side, I am satisfied with what we have right now, in that it's already a very useful product. I'm currently entering data into RW in prep for my about-to-start FFG Star Wars game, and now, having spent many many evenings typing in stuff and customizing tags and topic templates, I'm starting to have the beginnings of a very nice cross-linked database of ships, planets, races, etc. It's already much more useful in this sort of data organizing than anything I've used previously.

Sure, it has a lot of rough edges, missing functionality, and I'm forced to run it via Parallels on OS X (no native OS X version) so it's a bit slow. Nevertheless, it's already a great tool for my needs, and I expect it to get even better as features get added and I learn how to use it better.
PetriWessman is offline   #89 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old February 4th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Lemur View Post
I'm in that "d" camp, as well. The first time I ever saw a LWD product was in 2004 when a friend showed me Army Builder, and I was hooked. In over a decade, I have never had reason to doubt that LWD was doing anything other than their level best to create quality product. If rob came to my house and shot my dog, I would assume he had a good reason. That's the level of goodwill he has built in me as a customer, so it really irks me that others are railing about promises that were never made going unfulfilled.
Well, to be honest, you cant expect everyone to be in that camp, and the definition of "promises never made" is also not entirely true... especially not when it comes to printing. All you have to do is go back to the kickstarter Q&A to find that.

As I said in an earlier post, people who fall into the LWD can do no wrong camp arent really much more constructive than the LWD can do no right camp.

My two coppers.
mirtos is offline   #90 Reply With Quote