Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

lady2beetle

Old January 28th, 2019, 03:22 PM
I didn't see this mentioned on any of the forums, and it's driving me crazy, so...

Ever since I switched to 8.8c this afternoon, my HL has gotten this weird duplication bug. Every time I do something, add something, change something on the character, any information inside a parenthesis gets duplicated. This continues indefinitely until I close the program. When I open it again, it's back to normal, but once I start changing things... you get the idea. I can't even export to a PDF without duplicating things and then those duplicates end up on the PDF. It's... very strange. Any ideas? I do have a couple of community packs, but this didn't start until I installed 8.8c, and it is doing it on both computers that currently have that patch.

Here's a link of what I am seeing: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmzpGqo-_ASSgaIzIMnBQ3-P4_FBug

Am I doing something stupid? If so, please let me know.
lady2beetle is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 28th, 2019, 03:39 PM
Do you have any custom stuff you've created yourself?

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Wolfsangel

Old January 28th, 2019, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady2beetle View Post
I didn't see this mentioned on any of the forums, and it's driving me crazy, so...

Ever since I switched to 8.8c this afternoon, my HL has gotten this weird duplication bug. Every time I do something, add something, change something on the character, any information inside a parenthesis gets duplicated. This continues indefinitely until I close the program. When I open it again, it's back to normal, but once I start changing things... you get the idea. I can't even export to a PDF without duplicating things and then those duplicates end up on the PDF. It's... very strange. Any ideas? I do have a couple of community packs, but this didn't start until I installed 8.8c, and it is doing it on both computers that currently have that patch.

Here's a link of what I am seeing: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmzpGqo-_ASSgaIzIMnBQ3-P4_FBug

Am I doing something stupid? If so, please let me know.

I have the same issues. Basically unusable at the moment.
Wolfsangel is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
lady2beetle

Old January 28th, 2019, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Do you have any custom stuff you've created yourself?

Hmm... it's possible? I was playing around with customs many months ago and it's possible I never deleted it. I'll check, but I wouldn't have it on both computers. Still I'll check.
lady2beetle is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Ryan F
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 28th, 2019, 03:58 PM
Hello everyone,

Thank you all very much for letting us know. We've gotten a number of reports of this and other similar behavior when a number of Activated Abilities are enables/disabled. Our dev team is working on a fix as we speak but for now I do have a workaround to prevent this from occurring and to clear the existing display errors.

Inside Hero Lab with any RPG System open use the Develop Menu Tab and select the option to "Disable Fast Evaluation for Game" and you'll see the duplicate suffix/notes/appendages removed and begin to display as intended. This fix should "stick" to the Application for all Portfolios after you've enabled it to resume more/less normal use of the Application for the time being.

As always, you guys are great, and if you find ever something is going awry then you can of course post about it here on the forums, but please also reach out to us at our support inbox <support@wolflair.com> so we can be sure to have the BUG internally tracked as well.

Thanks everyone, you all rock!
Ryan F is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Wolfsangel

Old January 28th, 2019, 04:00 PM
I created one feat, 1 item and two deities in terms of custom files. That said its not doubling any of those fields. It seems to trigger any time you make any change in the portfolio. Even checking something like the in-play check box is creating the doubles.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 4.58.54 PM.png (267.3 KB, 5 views)
Wolfsangel is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Wolfsangel

Old January 28th, 2019, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan F View Post
Hello everyone,

Thank you all very much for letting us know. We've gotten a number of reports of this and other similar behavior when a number of Activated Abilities are enables/disabled. Our dev team is working on a fix as we speak but for now I do have a workaround to prevent this from occurring and to clear the existing display errors.

Inside Hero Lab with any RPG System open use the Develop Menu Tab and select the option to "Disable Fast Evaluation for Game" and you'll see the duplicate suffix/notes/appendages removed and begin to display as intended. This fix should "stick" to the Application for all Portfolios after you've enabled it to resume more/less normal use of the Application for the time being.

As always, you guys are great, and if you find ever something is going awry then you can of course post about it here on the forums, but please also reach out to us at our support inbox <support@wolflair.com> so we can be sure to have the BUG internally tracked as well.

Thanks everyone, you all rock!

You guys are awesome!!
Wolfsangel is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Krothos

Old January 28th, 2019, 05:17 PM
Was is "Fast Evaluation" exactly? What purpose does it server?

(Inquiring mind to understand the program better after 8.8d is released to fix the duplicate issue mentioned above.)
Krothos is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 28th, 2019, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krothos View Post
Was is "Fast Evaluation" exactly? What purpose does it server?

(Inquiring mind to understand the program better after 8.8d is released to fix the duplicate issue mentioned above.)

Hero Lab needs to run over 10,000 scripts every time it evaluates even a 1st level Pathfinder character (I just looked at a 1st level ranger of mine, and it's 27,588) (and it's worse in Shadowrun for a Rigger character who owns lots of vehicles - each of them needs to run over 10,000 scripts, and a starting character who focuses on that could own a dozen of them - in Hero Lab, they're all minions of your character, like a horse in Pathfinder). So, over the past few years, we've been working to add some behind the scenes processing that decides whether each of those scripts actually needs to be run, or whether saved values from the last time the character was evaluated can be used instead, because none of the values that feed into that script were changed, so the result will not change. That cuts down on the time required to re-evaluate a character when something changes, because we're only re-doing the minimum set of scripts. In case there's a mistake in the logic that determines what scripts needed to be run, we include the option to turn this off among the debugging tools, so that we can test with and without the optimizations, and see if there's a difference.
Mathias is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Laucian

Old January 29th, 2019, 04:06 AM
Huh, very interesting, I'm not a programmer but I love stuff like this. Thanks Mathias.
Laucian is offline   #10 Reply With Quote