Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 12th, 2017, 06:40 AM
So, I'm trying to implement Planet Mercenary. Every character is a commander of a fire-team, so I'd like to be able have each player have those fire-team members (1-3) as "minions" of a sort. A character also belongs to a Company, which is shared among multiple players, which has resources, supplies, ratings, etc. Is this possible to implement such that a Portfolio has a single Company that has multiple Commanders that each have their fire-team? Ideally, we'd also have a way to keep track of the "grunts" and "supplies" of the Company (which the players can transfer over for a given mission or to replace members of their fire-team that die off).

If it's not feasible, that's cool. I have other options. But I figured I'd ask.
Duggan is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 12th, 2017, 07:37 AM
On the configure hero form, where you're selecting "PC" or "NPC", would it work to have other selections there, like a "supplies" or "company" form, that works much differently from normal characters, and just stores whatever applies to the company? Then, users could build that as a separate character, and they'd store that in the same portfolio as their other characters, and then each main character would have their minions, so it's all in one big portfolio?
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old July 12th, 2017, 09:04 AM
That would work perfectly fine, I think. Is that covered in the wiki?
Duggan is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 12th, 2017, 09:35 AM
No, making a character that much different from a standard character wouldn't be covered in the wiki even if it was complete - that's a really unusual thing to do (something kind-of like it was only needed in one other game system - the kingdoms in Pathfinder).

I would recommend leaving this for last, because you're going to need a good understanding of how the files are assembled before doing this.
Mathias is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old July 12th, 2017, 10:16 AM
Cool. Thank you. I'm having fun enough as it is building an Attribute-less system (basically, it's just skills and some derived values, plus a bunch of picks for things like race, package, and background). You wouldn't think it would be that difficult to pull things out... :-P
Duggan is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old September 23rd, 2017, 07:10 AM
FWIW, I'm still not up to building the Companies yet, but I have a somewhat better handle on how this might work. And members of the Fireteam are now simply Things. They didn't need to be anything more complicated.
Duggan is offline   #6 Reply With Quote