Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Parody

Old April 16th, 2017, 10:24 PM
You shouldn't have to do it at all.

If RW is messing the index files up in unknown ways we should be reporting bugs and keeping the database/index/prefs/etc. files around until LWD knows whether or not they need them.

If they get messed up in known ways that aren't fixable (perhaps due to third-party software bugs) RW should fix or wipe and rebuild the affected files for you rather than letting you continue and cause problems.

Reindexing, deleting prefs, and such should be viewed as a workaround for a symptom, not a cure for the underlying problem or a regular maintenance feature.

Last edited by Parody; April 16th, 2017 at 10:41 PM.
Parody is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Avi

Old April 16th, 2017, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
You shouldn't have to do it at all.

Reindexing, ... , not a cure for the underlying problem or a regular maintenance feature.
(Heavily edited quote...)
I am referring only to the re-indexing bit.
Re-indexing is a standard procedure in any database form large to small...
It's a standard operation for every DBA.

Now how to solve it in a customer facing program is a different issue.
Do they go down the root of user unaware operations? (and get complains for "why is it starting/closing so slow every 10 time...")
A nagging pop up every so often? ("why are they bothering me 10 minutes before game start?")

Also taking into account that the length of the operation is unknown.
Avi is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old April 17th, 2017, 02:00 AM
Certainly not every 10 or even every 100 edits.

But Re indexing every, say, 6 months or 10,000 edits should be automatic. As Avi said it is a standard operation for a DBA maintaining a db. But then there is the time factor so maybe the annoying popup is the way to go, "Your realm is in need maintenance! press this button!"

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old April 17th, 2017, 08:47 AM
Before I go too far into the weeds*, are we talking about the indexes internal to a database or what the Rebuild Index button does?

The Rebuild Index button in the Realm Works UI, from what I understand, only deletes the index files used to search the text in your Realm Works database. They're stored separately from your master.realm file, in the individual realm's UUID folder in your master database folder. (The third-party search engine in use is Apache Lucerne.Net, if you care.) It doesn't do anything to the internal database indexes.

* "Too Late!" ;)

Last edited by Parody; April 17th, 2017 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Stupid multiple plurals.
Parody is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old April 17th, 2017, 12:29 PM
I wasn't aware there was a difference, if there is one. IME the rebuild index button fixes a lot of the problems I expect to see fixed by rebuild corrupted db indexes.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old April 18th, 2017, 07:40 AM
Hmm...well, I can't tell from the comparisons I did yesterday and don't feel like going through the rigamarole to make single realm master.realm files to make the comparisons go faster, so who knows? I'm probably wrong again. :(

If you'd like to laugh along a bit with Mr. Thinks-He-Knows-It-All, I got Realm Works to crash a bunch of times yesterday while I was making copies and doing comparisons before and after doing Rebuild Index. It was intermittent so I was getting frustrated and a bit worried that I'd managed to screw up the database itself...until I finally realized that I was keeping the index folders locked by having them selected in Explorer. ::sigh::

Parody is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old April 18th, 2017, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Hmm...well, I can't tell from the comparisons I did yesterday and don't feel like going through the rigamarole to make single realm master.realm files to make the comparisons go faster, so who knows? I'm probably wrong again. :(

If you'd like to laugh along a bit with Mr. Thinks-He-Knows-It-All, I got Realm Works to crash a bunch of times yesterday while I was making copies and doing comparisons before and after doing Rebuild Index. It was intermittent so I was getting frustrated and a bit worried that I'd managed to screw up the database itself...until I finally realized that I was keeping the index folders locked by having them selected in Explorer. ::sigh::
Don't worry about it. I've found any number of ways to crash RW by doing things while testing stuff that would never come up during normal use.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #17 Reply With Quote