Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

kingpaul

Send a message via AIM to kingpaul Send a message via MSN to kingpaul Send a message via Yahoo to kingpaul

Old January 6th, 2007, 03:35 AM
I just d/l'd the demo and am playing around with it. I noticed that psionics are not included. Are they just not available for the demo, or haven't you completed the psionic classes yet?
kingpaul is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 6th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Hi Paul,

I was wondering when we'd start getting some of the PCGen notables kicking the tires and asking probing questions. Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to reply to both of your questions here in this one thread, because the answers have already been posted multiple times in other threads and I need to get to bed (it's 6am here and I'm about to fall over).

There are four substantive components of the SRD that have NOT yet been added to Hero Lab. The four missing components are:
1. NPC Classes
2. Monstrous Races and related facets (e.g. templates)
3. Psionics
4. Epic Classes

These omissions were publicly spelled out when we released HL a few weeks ago, and we have a poll setup here on the forum to find out where users think we should focus our efforts next (with the missing SRD material being one of the options). Feel free to cast your vote if you'd like. :-)

So why did we omit these four components? Based on informal surveys of consumers and retailers at multiple Cons since we announced Hero Lab this past summer, these were the four components that the majority of players had little or no interest in. So we instead focused our energies on enhancing other facets of the product. I've got my fingers crossed that we made the correct decision. Based on the early feedback to the product and in the aforementioned poll, I'm pretty sure that we did. :-)

Anyways, I hope that answers your question(s) adequately. Please let us know if you have additional questions and we'll do our best to answer them.

Thanks, Rob

At 04:35 AM 1/6/2007, you wrote:

Quote:
I just d/l'd the demo and am playing around with it. I noticed that psionics are not included. Are they just not available for the demo, or haven't you completed the psionic classes yet?
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
kingpaul

Send a message via AIM to kingpaul Send a message via MSN to kingpaul Send a message via Yahoo to kingpaul

Old January 6th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob
I was wondering when we'd start getting some of the PCGen notables kicking the tires and asking probing questions. Welcome to the forum!
Heh. Thanks for the welcome.
kingpaul is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
SpeedRacer

Old January 6th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Hello Rob. I would like to be one to voice a desire to see Psionics supported. Thank you.
SpeedRacer is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Eryx_UK

Old January 23rd, 2007, 10:50 AM
I'd like to ask that if possible, psionics and templates be added as upgrades to the proggram. Without these, the program has a tad limited use for my campaigns.
Eryx_UK is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
sppeterson

Old January 23rd, 2007, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob
There are four substantive components of the SRD that have NOT yet been added to Hero Lab. The four missing components are:
1. NPC Classes
2. Monstrous Races and related facets (e.g. templates)
3. Psionics
4. Epic Classes

So why did we omit these four components? Based on informal surveys of consumers and retailers at multiple Cons since we announced Hero Lab this past summer, these were the four components that the majority of players had little or no interest in.
I'm curious -- while I'm sure that the majority of players aren't interested in those components, I'm not so sure that's true for the majority of purchasers.

In my experience, the players almost never buy anything -- the PHB and maybe one splatbook for their preferred class. Moreover, they have little need for character generation software given that they make one character over the course of about two years.

It's the GM's who spend the majority of the money, and we definitely need the monster support. So far I enjoy playing around with Hero Lab, and look forward to seeing how it will turn out -- but I use other chargen software for my game because I need monsters that I add stuff too, and a way to export the final result as a stat block to the clipboard so I can paste it into my Word document or whatever else I'm using.
sppeterson is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
kingpaul

Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sppeterson
I'm curious -- while I'm sure that the majority of players aren't interested in those components, I'm not so sure that's true for the majority of purchasers.
That's the boat I'm in. I'll admit, I'm biased towards PCGen, but many of the other chargens out there are missing monster/psionic/deity/etc support. I don't feel inclined to buy a piece of software that can't support what I use in my games. Then there's also the lack of Modern support.
kingpaul is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 25th, 2007, 08:53 PM
At 11:50 AM 1/23/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
I'd like to ask that if possible, psionics and templates be added as upgrades to the proggram. Without these, the program has a tad limited use for my campaigns.
Both are on the todo list, with templates currently having more votes, I believe. They shall be added.

-Rob
rob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old February 17th, 2007, 04:24 PM
I have to agree with the sentiments on all the posts here. I purchased Hero Lab based upon the working demo, knowing that bits of the SRD were still to be implemented.

As a Dm and Player I get annoyed at the amount of D20 Generators that only offer "Standard Classes" and have meager support for custom data or even official content that gets ignored, Psionics seem to be eschewed for more variant spellcasters.

At 1.02am 18th February 2007 I downloaded the update Version 1.0H from 1.0g and Templates have appeared, I got myself a Human Fighter with a Ghost template for a test, Psionics are big on my wish list to be added next please.

Hero Lab seems very promising with respect to adding support for all classes from official and open game sources, so please Lone Wolf Dev. don't make us Psions, Wilders, Soulknife, Psychic Warriors and Lurks (Complete Psionic) wait too long for our "Class" choice to be incorporated. Templates are great but classes are better.

Carpe diem!

Dormio Forte Somnio

Community Created Resources :
Data Package Repositories :
d20pfsrd
Custom Character Sheets
Community Server Setup (Packs)

Hero Lab Help- Video Tutorials and Pathfinder FAQ

Created by the community for the community
bodrin is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
vivisect

Old February 18th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob
These omissions were publicly spelled out when we released HL a few weeks ago, and we have a poll setup here on the forum to find out where users think we should focus our efforts next (with the missing SRD material being one of the options). Feel free to cast your vote if you'd like. :-)
Ummm...maybe I'm missing it or something, but I can't find this poll of which you speak. :?
vivisect is offline   #10 Reply With Quote