Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > HLO - Pathfinder 2nd Edition

Notices

rlane187

Old October 8th, 2020, 07:08 PM
I am trying to create a necromancer from an adventure path. She has the Arcane Ritual called Create Undead. I am trying to create here using "Detailed Monster or NPC Using Gamemastery Guide" option. I have sorted out how to add everything but the Arcane Ritual. Does anyone know how to do this using he Gamemastery Guide option?
rlane187 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old October 8th, 2020, 07:28 PM
After you add Rituals under Spellcasting Options in the Customize Ancestry tab, a Rituals tab will appear under the Abilities section.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
rlane187

Old October 8th, 2020, 07:34 PM
Thank you!
rlane187 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old October 8th, 2020, 07:42 PM
You're quite welcome! (Is this Voz? I built her for my game a couple of weeks ago.)

Currently Playing:
charlieluce is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rlane187

Old October 9th, 2020, 04:58 PM
It is Voz. I am having a lot of trouble with Malarunk. His Divine Font Harm spells are the problem. I can add Divine Font with Add Permanent Ability, but cannot set it up to allow him to cast Harm more than 1/day (he gets 3/day).

I find making NPCs in Pathfinder 2e to be much harder than 1e. I like 2e, but the NPC system in Hero Lab Online does not lend itself to NPC creation well. Maybe I just do not understand how Hero Lab Online NPC creation is supposed to work (very probable). Simple things like taking an NPC of race X and assigning class Y with Z levels just does not seem possible. I find I have to manually add every single feat or ability. I have to go down every single row on the Ancestry Customization and search for the ability I want to add because sometimes it is not intuitive.

It would just be nice if they released Age of Ashes GM content. It is a year old. I would totally pay to save myself the countless hours of hand entering all of this information. We should at least be able to share content with each other to save me the time.

I just expected Hero Lab Online to be more mature in its content than it is. It is still pretty good but Hero Lab Classic spoiled me.
rlane187 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old October 9th, 2020, 09:36 PM
One of the options when making a new character is "Player Character Rules (NPC)", which will do the XYZ type creation you talked about.

I've been finding the PF2 GMG method of putting together NPCs to work well for me as I've gotten used to it, especially not needing the HLC Editor to add monsters, but they seem to have borked the UI with some recent change, which has thrown a wrench into things.

As far as Malarunk goes, when I used Permanent Added Abilities to give him Divine Font there was a Usage box in the Configure section under the Harm/Heal selection that I was able to set to 3 per day.

Currently Playing:
charlieluce is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
rlane187

Old October 10th, 2020, 05:36 AM
I thought I had set Malarunk's stats but it appears I had not. When I set his Charisma, he had the correct number of Harm spells. When I made adjustments to the "Add Permanent Ability" menu (change effective level or number of castings/day), it had no effect.

I tried to "create as PC" option, but Malarunk's race is not available in the Ancestry. I found it easier to use the GMG method like you said.

Is there a way to flag skills as trained? I have noticed that I can set skill values. Even when I use the detailed method that has the skill drop downs with proficiency level, all of the skills still show as "U."
rlane187 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old October 10th, 2020, 09:34 AM
This came up on the Paizo forums; technically, NPCs don't specify Proficiency (though it's usually straightforward to back-figure/estimate it) as you can see in all the published statblocks, so HLO doesn't either.

Currently Playing:
charlieluce is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Daniel V
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 15th, 2020, 07:44 AM
Yeah, I've run the math on a ton of monsters and they usually break down pretty well to level + ability score modifier + proficiency, but since they don't technically have any proficiency, and the GMG creation rules give tables of firm values, that's what we use for NPCs. Keeps it consistent, even if it leads to a bit of weirdness when making the ones Paizo puts out that are PC-esque NPCs.
Daniel V is offline   #9 Reply With Quote