Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder

Notices

stubbdog

Old December 21st, 2006, 10:00 AM
I just posted my issue over in the Warlord AB file forum since that is the AB files I am working with.

But, figured I would come over here to ask this more general question.

I have read the small descriptons related to overrides and exceptions in the downloaded creator manual. But, just isnt giving me enough to be able to do it myself.

I need examples.

I gave some specific examples in my post under the Warlord area.

I am hoping that a better tutorial might be written by someone using my datafiles as the backdrop and my specific examples that I am needing help with. I have many more over rides and exceptions to do than the few examples I listed. But, 95% of them are the same as those examples, so if I can get someone to help me do those few (and explain it to where I can understand) then I can and will gladly do the rest and then make my results available for all.

Thank you for your time.

Jason
stubbdog is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
stubbdog

Old December 24th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Again, I ask about better scripting tutorials.

The given tutorials are ok, but too generic to be of help to me.

Here is an example of one I need:

I have created an item that is only for one faction. It is an item that only a spellcaster can carry. Said spellcasters can purchase a certain number of those items equal to a number of one of their card stats.

I am having difficulties trying to figure out which set of variables, tags, or whatever you want to call them that match what I am needing. I have tried all sorts of combinations and not getting very far...
stubbdog is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
stubbdog

Old December 29th, 2006, 11:53 AM
what is the correct script (to be used in over ride) for returning a model's runtime leader of the squad?

I was thinking that if I checkmarked the box that says Is Leader then it should flag the leader ID or something like that (I read in a different thread).. And therefore it should be something similar to the following:

runtime.leader."leader's unique id"

leader.runtime.isunit["leader's unique id"]

Or even better, what is the script that returns the runtime squad name of a model? that is, if in the data file unit section, in the "other details" area, I assign a squad name there, I assume then if I add this model along with other models under it, then I should be able to do an over ride script that checks to see if the the model is included in the squad with that squad name. And trying to figure out the correct tags or script or whatnot.

And last for now, in the over rides pop up box, under the conditions box, there are boxes like squad name, cost, etc... How do I include those into the conditions instead of the results? That is I want the items on the left side of that pop up box to be condition factors and the items on the right side to be the results...
stubbdog is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
stubbdog

Old January 3rd, 2007, 06:51 AM
bumping to see if I can get these last couple of questions answered.

What is the correct script phrase to return the runtime leader of a squad member?

What is the correct script phrase to return a particular stat from a unit?
stubbdog is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
harkan
Volunteer Data File Author

Old January 3rd, 2007, 10:03 AM
the stat one depends on if you are looing at a basestat or the stat.

for a stat (assuming numeric and stat is called xyz)

var retval as number
retval = stat[xyz]
(for a unit)

var retval as number
retval = unit.stat[xyz]
(for an option)

to access basestats then replace stat with basestat
harkan is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
stubbdog

Old January 4th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Thank you for the feedback. Now, I will go see if I can take what you have given me and see if I can get to work for what I need.
stubbdog is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 6th, 2007, 02:47 PM
I'm not 100% sure I understand what you're trying to accomplish here. However, I'm pretty sure that you can't accomplish any of the things you specifically are asking for. So what I need is a detailed description of what you're trying to ACHIEVE. Please note the word I'm using. Tell me the goal of what you ultimately want to accomplish. Don't bother telling me what mechanism you are trying to use to accomplish the goal, since you'll likely need a different approach based on my reading of your questions below.

Please note that I don't have a CLUE about how the Warlord data files are written, and I am NOT very familiar with the army construction rules for the game. So you'll need to outline all the pertain game mechanics that I'll need to understand. You'll also need to outline how the existing Warlord files are written with respect to the mechanics you're trying to splice into. Armed with that, I'll do my best to offer suggestions for how to solve things.

-Rob

At 12:53 PM 12/29/2006, you wrote:

Quote:
what is the correct script (to be used in over ride) for returning a model's runtime leader of the squad?

I was thinking that if I checkmarked the box that says Is Leader then it should flag the leader ID or something like that (I read in a different thread).. And therefore it should be something similar to the following:

runtime.leader."leader's unique id"

leader.runtime.isunit["leader's unique id"]

Or even better, what is the script that returns the runtime squad name of a model? that is, if in the data file unit section, in the "other details" area, I assign a squad name there, I assume then if I add this model along with other models under it, then I should be able to do an over ride script that checks to see if the the model is included in the squad with that squad name. And trying to figure out the correct tags or script or whatnot.

And last for now, in the over rides pop up box, under the conditions box, there are boxes like squad name, cost, etc... How do I include those into the conditions instead of the results? That is I want the items on the left side of that pop up box to be condition factors and the items on the right side to be the results...
rob is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
stubbdog

Old January 8th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Rob,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should start off by giving as short as possible game build construction rules, then about these related AB files.

Normal build rules for Warlord are fairly simple. The army unit "adepts" are the only real difficult model type. I will have to use several examples to show how they work. First, You have 4 main types: leaders, elites, soldiers, solos.

Leaders:

Warlords
Captains
Sgts

Elites:

Mages
clerics
heros
etc..

Soldiers:

adept
grunt

solos:

monsters
Solotaires
etc..

Builds are made up of troops. Each troop will either be a leader led group or a solo. The number of solo troops can never exceed the number of leader led troops. Leader led troops can start out having any level of leader, but the more troops you have the higher level leader is requied. Two sargeant led troops are fine, but three saregeant led troops requires that at least one captain led trrop is involved. two captain led troops is fine but a third captain led troop requires a warlord led troop. You not required to have a warlord with smaller groups, but you can if you want. If you do bring in a warlord for any size build it suffices for all higher level leader needs (i.e. you could run 3+ sargeants under a warlord without having a captain)

Each leader has a certain number of soldiers it can field in its troop. The average sgt will have 4-10/0. The average captain will have 4-12/1. The average Warlord will have 4-12/2. The numbers before the / are the total number of units that a leader can lead in its own troop. The number after the / indicates how many of those numbers can be elite models.

The number of grunts in a build are only limited by the leaders' limitations for fielding them. Adepts have a second limitation. Each type of adept can only be fielded in a single troop for every full 1000 points of the build limit, no matter what the actual army worth is. That is, even if my total construct value is only worth 1998 points, if the build limit was set at 2000, then 2000 is what the adept limit is based on.

So, trying my best to give examples without writing a book (too late): Each faction has a different set of grunts and adepts, so for now, I will use the Warlord faction Crusaders as my example. For the main crusader faction list, just using a few types, archers and knights are both considered adepts while breakers are considered grunts.

In a 1000 point build, I could put archers and knights in the same troop or in separate troops, but I could not put them in multiple troops (each adept type can only be fielded in a single troop for every full 1000 point build limit). In a 2000 point build, I could then have a second troop of either or both of them.

Legal 1000 pt build:

troop1
sgt
4 archers
4 breakers

troop2
sgt
4 knights
4 breakers
----------------------------------------

Legal 1000 pt build:

troop 1
sgt
5 archers
3 knights
2 breakers

troop2
captain
10 breakers
------------------------------------

Illegal 1000 pt build

troop1:
sgt
4 archers
4 breakers

troop2:
sgt
2 archers
4 knights
2 breakers
------------------------------------
This last one would be legal in a 2000 point build as then the adept limit would rise.

Oh, and one last build rule of significance... The has to be a 1:4 ratio of elites to soldiers in any troop that contains an elite. Therefore, if you have an elite, you must also have several soldiers for support.

So, that is a quick summary of the default warlord construct rules. I'll address the next thing in a subsequent post.
stubbdog is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
stubbdog

Old January 8th, 2007, 07:16 AM
All factions have some sublist groups that if you restrict your army build to those sublists of units, then you can gain some different build or game benefits. In almost all sublists, at least one of faction adepts becomes grunts (thereby eliminating the troop involvement restrictions). We have been able to use the over rides area to handle this in most cases.

One of my first ITEMS OF ACHIEVEMENT that I am needing help with, relates to this idea of adepts becoming grunts in certain situations. When they become grunts based on being in a sublist it is not hard cause the adepts changes for the whole list, just throw in an override to check and see if the roster is of the sublist name. But, if instead, if an adept changes to a grunt inside of an actual troop and not an entire list, that is where I am having a problem.

Using my "Illegal example" from the crusader lsit above, If I swapped out the sgt in troop 2 with the unique Warlord Gerard model, then it would become legal. Cause Gerard has a special rule that says in an all crusader army, any adepts fielded in his personal troop do not count against the overall build adept limit.

My logic that I am trying to use in AB is, asking it from the point of view of the adept, and saying "if I am part of roster.crusader and the runtime leader of my squad is Gerard, then I am a grunt not an adept, else I am still an adept".
stubbdog is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
stubbdog

Old January 8th, 2007, 07:42 AM
You asked me to try and give you some insight as to how the AB files are set up. I am not the original author, I have just been figuring out how the original author had things set up and adding on to it. But, I will give my best to try and explain what I have figured out.

See, in the beginning I never had to read any of the included tutorials or look at other game's AB files cause it was fairly easy to figure out how the original author had set things up. I wasnt building anything, I was just replicating what he had already built or massaging areas that he had already set up. It is not until now, that I am trying to add things that are not included in there that I am having to now go back and try to learn the insides and outs on this thing.

Although you wouldnt know it, I have now tried writing something here about 10 times without really knowing what to write. I think that in regards tot he actual file set up and such, it might be better if you asked specific questions that could lead you to what you are needing. Unlike the Warlord build rules, it is not easy for me to ttry and tell you how the AB files are made. I already heard the snoring from putting people to sleep with my earlier rambling. It would be worse i I tried to explain the AB files setup.

I will talk about my second GOAL of achievement in a separate thread so that I can try to keep them each on topic and less confusion.
stubbdog is offline   #10 Reply With Quote