Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Parody
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 1,322

Old November 10th, 2014, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
I am not being a jerk, but why would you want all that in PDFs for use outside RW?
Distributing what we've created (from a handout to an entire campaign world) to people who aren't using Realm Works, which are the vast majority of players and GMs.

Now what I want is data export, not printing, but the steps are the same: create queries, then format the resulting data in a useful arrangement, then present the result to us (the users) in a way with which we can work.

Parody is online now   #101 Reply With Quote
Dervish
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Grand Forks ND
Posts: 128

Old November 10th, 2014, 12:57 PM
my whole reason for getting realm works was so i could collate my content and then package it up nicely and export not as digital hosting solution.
Dervish is offline   #102 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 696

Old November 10th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Distributing what we've created (from a handout to an entire campaign world) to people who aren't using Realm Works, which are the vast majority of players and GMs.

Now what I want is data export, not printing, but the steps are the same: create queries, then format the resulting data in a useful arrangement, then present the result to us (the users) in a way with which we can work.
Spot on Parody...
I can understand (being an ancient gurnard DM myself) the desire to have the hardcopy of your work, but I can certainly see the appeal to bringing things into the digital age as well.

The ability to word search realms consisting of reams of printed data is a nightmare compared to what RW can do digitally. That reason alone is what LWD hopes the user will embrace.

BUT, As Parody points out, printing or electronic exporting : the steps are the same.

The ability to at least export the data the user has spent hours putting in and arrange it (in RW would be nice, in any program would be satisfactory) as a more finished form than the "database" view it currently resides in is a top shelf need.

Implementation of this form of feature crosses into too many in game and off table support elements. From Character backgrounds, gaming summaries, regional histories, who's who list, etc. the need is apparent.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #103 Reply With Quote
EightBitz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,418

Old November 10th, 2014, 07:43 PM
Why is this even being debated. I've seen other people request features that I don't need or want. While I might have suggested workarounds, I never saw any need to debate the usefulness of the feature. Such a thing boggles my mind. This is one of the top requested features, which means that when LWD turns to user requests, this has a good chance of being on the high-priority list.

If you don't see the need for the feature, then simply don't use it.
EightBitz is offline   #104 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Senior Member
Volunteer Data File Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago, IL (USA)
Posts: 10,667

Old November 11th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
Why is this even being debated. I've seen other people request features that I don't need or want. While I might have suggested workarounds, I never saw any need to debate the usefulness of the feature. Such a thing boggles my mind. This is one of the top requested features, which means that when LWD turns to user requests, this has a good chance of being on the high-priority list.

If you don't see the need for the feature, then simply don't use it.
I took it as being an honest question more then Exmortis saying "NO DON'T DO THIS". That was my take anyways.

At the same time I agree that if lots of people want this feature then LWD should implement it. Even though I personally would never use it I would not want to prevent a feature from others. Of course I would prefer the features I want to go in first.

My 2 cents.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; November 11th, 2014 at 02:57 PM.
ShadowChemosh is online now   #105 Reply With Quote
Parody
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 1,322

Old November 11th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
I took it as being an honest question more then Parody saying "NO DON'T DO THIS".
I think you mean Exmortis, not me. I'm in favor of data export. (I'm neutral on printing and PDF export.)

Parody is online now   #106 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Senior Member
Volunteer Data File Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago, IL (USA)
Posts: 10,667

Old November 11th, 2014, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
I think you mean Exmortis, not me. I'm in favor of data export. (I'm neutral on printing and PDF export.)
My bad! Sorry! Fixed my post...

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is online now   #107 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 696

Old November 11th, 2014, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
I took it as being an honest question more then Exmortis saying "NO DON'T DO THIS". That was my take anyways.

At the same time I agree that if lots of people want this feature then LWD should implement it. Even though I personally would never use it I would not want to prevent a feature from others. Of course I would prefer the features I want to go in first.

My 2 cents.
@ Eightbitz > I agree with ShadowChemosh and to clarify, IMO Exmortis, Parody & myself were actually expanding on similar features that could also be incorporated using similar techniques if LWD were to include them with printing, not instead of.

@ShadowChemosh > Like you, I don't foresee a lot of personal use for myself to print, and would also prefer other features first, but I fully recognize not all play (or manage) their games the same. Each experience is different.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #108 Reply With Quote
EightBitz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,418

Old November 11th, 2014, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
@ Eightbitz > I agree with ShadowChemosh and to clarify, IMO Exmortis, Parody & myself were actually expanding on similar features that could also be incorporated using similar techniques if LWD were to include them with printing, not instead of.

@ShadowChemosh > Like you, I don't foresee a lot of personal use for myself to print, and would also prefer other features first, but I fully recognize not all play (or manage) their games the same. Each experience is different.
Well, personally, I hope you all get the features you want. But I still want to be able to export and print. So do many others. Let's all wish the best for each other. That's my only point.
EightBitz is offline   #109 Reply With Quote
taxboy
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 48

Old November 11th, 2014, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbitz View Post
well, personally, i hope you all get the features you want. But i still want to be able to export and print. So do many others. Let's all wish the best for each other. That's my only point.
+1000
taxboy is offline   #110 Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
wolflair.com copyright ©1998-2016 Lone Wolf Development, Inc. View our Privacy Policy here.