Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Farling

Old January 12th, 2015, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
Let's get printing/export (and yes, sigh, calendars) implemented alongside a Marketplace and
I prefer, "Let's get calendars (and yes, sigh, printing/export) implemented alongside a Marketplace and..."
Farling is offline   #41 Reply With Quote
Hyos

Old January 14th, 2015, 04:06 PM
Quote:
First my snarky comment: FYI, LinkedIn puts Evernote's staff at 456 people.... Methinks this apples and nuclear bombs comparison is missing a slight dose of reality.
I will take this as an insult (or proof of ignorance on your side), as you are making the argument way too easy for yourself. Sure Evernote has a lot more resources, but they have to offer a much bigger set of services*. My point was that the principal technology behind it is relatively simple by current standards and can be recreated with a fracture of those resouces. If you do not want to set up your own document-based NoSQL storage you could even use Evernotes infrastructure by integrating Evernote or build on top of their API; just check https://appcenter.evernote.com/.

If I have not made myself clear, I greatly appreciate RW for what it is and what has been accomplished with the available ressources. But I immediately see room for a technological leap. I have even started discussing such a software project with people in my work environment as I work in the industry myself.

*They create clients for at least six OSes + a webclient, browser plugins for multiple browsers, support the apps Skitch, Scannable, Penultimate, Clearly, Evernote Food for multiple OSes, and their software is available in at least 20 languages. They support systems that allow other developers to build apps on top of Evernote, have to support globally distributed server infrastructure for 100 million users, and god knows how many of those people work in marketing, sales, support, QA, international offices all over the globe. They are a company that started in 2007 and they operate in a totally different scope. So thanks for the FYI, but I already knew.
Hyos is offline   #42 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old January 14th, 2015, 06:10 PM
Now you're gonna make me flag my own post. Yes, it was an insult. Yes, I'm ignorant. I'm glad you recognize the difference in magnitude between the companies in scope and size. Check the attitude.

I'm personally quite amazed with what 10 or so LWD folks have accomplished in a niche market with limited resources and a ton of IP constraints. I cannot even fathom what adding 450 or so more staff and some decent resources could do for them in general and RW in particular.

And I forgot, welcome to the forums.
AEIOU is offline   #43 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old January 14th, 2015, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyos View Post
I will take this as an insult (or proof of ignorance on your side),
uncalled for and supporting evidence of potential "bridge dweller".

Quote:
...........My point was that the principal technology behind it is relatively simple by current standards and can be recreated with a fracture of those resouces. If you do not want to set up your own document-based NoSQL storage you could even use Evernotes infrastructure by integrating Evernote or build on top of their API; just check https://appcenter.evernote.com/.
This, leads me to think.... SO??? if you prefer a setup similar to Evernote, then feel free to use it and their forum to improve its use to your needs. As Parody pointed out earlier in this thread, does it have some redeeming features, sure, but that is not how Evernote nor RW software is designed nor implemented. Both have differing markets.

Quote:
If I have not made myself clear, I greatly appreciate RW for what it is and what has been accomplished with the available ressources. But I immediately see room for a technological leap. I have even started discussing such a software project with people in my work environment as I work in the industry myself.
The only thing I see abundantly clear is your lack of communication / people skills. In the minimal posts you have to date have all been negative without offering anything that resembles constructive.
Quote:
*They create clients for at least six OSes + a webclient, browser plugins for multiple browsers, support the apps Skitch, Scannable, Penultimate, Clearly, Evernote Food for multiple OSes, and their software is available in at least 20 languages. They support systems that allow other developers to build apps on top of Evernote, have to support globally distributed server infrastructure for 100 million users, and god knows how many of those people work in marketing, sales, support, QA, international offices all over the globe. They are a company that started in 2007 and they operate in a totally different scope.
ant this has what to do with what?? a resume? Seriously, if you are not contributing to a solution, then you are part of the problem. Where in any of your posts are you contributing to a solution?, query?

Quote:
So thanks for the FYI, but I already knew.
IF you already "knew" then what is your point? The point of any forum is not to discuss what other dissimilar companies do, but how there can be improvements to what is being done pertaining to the software (in this case) being used here. AEIOU is EXACTLY right your comparison's only tying connection is the word "Database". I would suggest you make better use of everyone's time by reading more of the forum to determine its conversation and goals than to have 4 posts that makes you "Think" you are a defining authority as to what the software should do and how they should go about doing it.

Your current collection of "posts" lack constructive purpose and led me to believe "Me thinks there is a bridge without a resident".

DLG
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #44 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old January 14th, 2015, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
I prefer, "Let's get calendars (and yes, sigh, printing/export) implemented alongside a Marketplace and..."
Sorry AEIOU, Farling has the order correct.

Seriously, this thread is "supposed" to be dedicated to how multiple DMs (GMs for you hairlings) can utilize at the same time... Time to get back on topic.

Until the full workings of the Marketplace come to light, a lot is conjecture.

However, one thought that could work (though I have not tested it) would be to "share backups"? IT would require ALOT of repetitive backing up and re-syncing, but "could" it be a work-around?

It would require abit of maneuvering...
1> both DMs have RW (obvious one there)
2> DM #1 Sync to RW Cloud
3> DM#1 Backup Realm
4> Copy realm to flash drive
5> DM#2 Restore realm from DM#1 to his copy of RW
6> DM#2 add whatever content DM#2 is managing
7> DM#2 Sync to RW Cloud
8> DM#2 Backup Realm

Rinse Repeat

Now the two versions of the Syncs on the cloud would still be separate, because they are tied to User accounts, not PC Ids, but backing up at both points would prevent some data corruption.

To my knowledge, there is nothing in the "backup file" that ties it to the user account (Rob, one of his minion would have to clarify). IF there is not, then "might be" a cumbersome workaround for a few months till the marketplace takes off....
Thoughts?
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #45 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old January 14th, 2015, 09:13 PM
Until all the data is stored in the cloud all the time, I can't think of a good way to easily implement a checkout process.

However, I can't see any reason not to allow multiple GMs per realm right now. Warn them of the consequences and then click six little buttons that say "I've read this warning" and then type the phrase: "I understand that data WILL be lost if another GM saves over material that they had not synched prior to making changes."

If DLG and I teamed up, he'd be working on calendars and I'd be working on getting material ready for export. He'd save his work to the cloud first because he's smarter than me. And I'd save over his work later that evening.

I win!..errr, I mean that's OUR problem because we both worked on the data at the same time and we understood that this was a no-no. We should haveo coordinated our efforts more effectively or we should have figured out which one of us had the more important data.
AEIOU is offline   #46 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old January 14th, 2015, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Until all the data is stored in the cloud all the time, I can't think of a good way to easily implement a checkout process.
However, ALL the data in the cloud is worrisome - at least to me.

The reason? My understanding of the consequence is, that you will then have to be 'always online' when using RW.

It often happens that I am places where I have no or poor internet connection but loads of time to work on my projects.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #47 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 15th, 2015, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
However, ALL the data in the cloud is worrisome - at least to me.

The reason? My understanding of the consequence is, that you will then have to be 'always online' when using RW.

It often happens that I am places where I have no or poor internet connection but loads of time to work on my projects.
No, all the data is in cloud after you Sync your changes.

Until you Sync, all modifications are only stored locally on your own machine.
Farling is offline   #48 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 15th, 2015, 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
Sorry AEIOU, Farling has the order correct.

To my knowledge, there is nothing in the "backup file" that ties it to the user account (Rob, one of his minion would have to clarify). IF there is not, then "might be" a cumbersome workaround for a few months till the marketplace takes off....
Thoughts?
When you first create a realm you have to be online, this is so that the cloud server can provide your realm with a unique id.

Thus, trying to share the backup file is not going to work between different people's realms.

The only way your scenario could possibly work is for DM1 to sync changes with the cloud, provide you with his master.realm for you to add your own local changes. You would provide the updated master.realm back to the DM1 and _he_ would then sync your changes back to the cloud again.
Farling is offline   #49 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old January 15th, 2015, 12:09 AM
We are getting into the bizarre peculiarities of sync logic, here, which in general I think we need to leave to LWD (tell them what we want, let them sweat the how).

Right now (if I'm understanding RW right) the sync logic is looking at differences, and offering the user which realm to keep. Shared GMing will need to do something similar, but be looking for conflicts rather than differences, auto sync non-conflicting data, and ask the user to resolve the conflicts (or have a GMing hierarchy in place so that GM 1's data overwrites GM 2's data in all cases).

Waaaaaaaaaay more complex.

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works
Chemlak is offline   #50 Reply With Quote