Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

flupwatson

Old March 26th, 2013, 11:13 AM
I was thinking about picking this up, but was wondering how difficult it was for the absolute beginner. I was hoping to use it to make characters for some systems not supported such as GURPS and AD&D.
flupwatson is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 26th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Study the 4e files and the documentation provided for the savage worlds system.
It can take a while before you learn everything you need, but its possible to do with the right amount of time investment. Personally I downloaded the documentation as a pdf to read, as its a little easier to read and I can access the pdf if I am not online.

It does take some time to figure it all out, but if you are dedicated to learning it is very rewarding.
RavenX is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Kairos
Volunteer Data File Author

Old March 26th, 2013, 05:02 PM
I held off on getting the Authoring Kit for several years, actually. I bought it a couple weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised at how intuitive and versatile it it. The advice on the wiki is really spot-on: you need to know understand xml and have a knowledge of coding basics.

The scripting engine is simple (i.e., elegant) in that it lacks a lot of the more complex data types and statements and such you'll find in a language like LUA, but that turns out to be a feature, not a bug. It has a laser-like focus on doing RPG character generation "stuff." If you take the time to read through the wiki, and review the sample files (and SW stuff), it's pretty easy to follow.
Kairos is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old March 26th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
I held off on getting the Authoring Kit for several years, actually. I bought it a couple weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised at how intuitive and versatile it it. The advice on the wiki is really spot-on: you need to know understand xml and have a knowledge of coding basics.

The scripting engine is simple (i.e., elegant) in that it lacks a lot of the more complex data types and statements and such you'll find in a language like LUA, but that turns out to be a feature, not a bug. It has a laser-like focus on doing RPG character generation "stuff." If you take the time to read through the wiki, and review the sample files (and SW stuff), it's pretty easy to follow.
There's an Authoring kit for this software? I thought hero lab came with it built in?
RavenX is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 26th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Without the authoring kit as one of the game systems you have licensed within Hero Lab, you'll only be able to use user-created systems in demo mode. There's no GUI editor, or anything like that - it all has to be done in raw XML (except that once you define editor elements, you can then use the editor you've just defined for the system you're creating).
Mathias is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old March 26th, 2013, 07:20 PM
ok, so I have the authoring kit. lol. I thought there might be a separate software I missing. I can say using the editor isn't too bad. Learning XML has a bit of a learning curve to it, but I find it hasn't been too bad, I've picked it up pretty quick.
RavenX is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
flupwatson

Old March 26th, 2013, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm still hesitant about editing XML files though, as I'm not sure I have the time to put into learning how to do it all. Does anybody know if there are any plans to ever release a GUI editor, something intuitive and with menus in the future?
flupwatson is offline   #7 Reply With Quote