Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

civory

Old August 6th, 2018, 12:14 PM
Specifically, how did HLO perform for people trying to play in the Paizo hall? I've always had a hard time trying to get wifi or mobile access in there and I'm curious how the online-only model worked at scale.
civory is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 7th, 2018, 10:26 AM
We ran the entire Character Creation Station inside the Sycamore Ballroom, with eight total computers, via a single mobile hotspot connected to the live servers. The performance we experienced was great. But that's just one data point.

So I'm also quite interested to know what performance other users experienced in the hall...
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old August 7th, 2018, 11:42 AM
I hot spotted my tablet from my phone.

This was my first year at Gen Con and from all the people complaining about HLO and bad cell/internet connections at Gen Con I expected problems. I never had an issue getting to the internet from my phone. I did not buy the WiFi access that was offered in the convention hall so I have no idea how that performed.
Toblakai is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
flyteach

Old August 7th, 2018, 05:20 PM
Rob, I had Verizon WiFi access automagically (it's a cantrip) and it was 5 bars in Sagamore. I did not try LTE at all. Used my iPad during 3 sessions, Friday morning, Saturday night, Sunday morning, and had no hiccups (it's like you had the servers in the room). Also did a little checking with my phone (also wifi) and worked when I randomly checked it during the weekend. The only time I had an issue was Saturday afternoon when I got the server down message. I will say that having the page there live, with conditions, was easy to keep track (along with spells and ammo). I certainly hope you get the starship stuff working so at least one player can track that info for the group. Being so new, it would help to have some mechanical assistance with those rules.
flyteach is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old August 9th, 2018, 04:32 PM
Buddy of mine ran a hotspot on his phone and used his tablet without issue all weekend! Of course, he needed some extra battery power though for that....

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
LazarX

Old August 12th, 2018, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
We ran the entire Character Creation Station inside the Sycamore Ballroom, with eight total computers, via a single mobile hotspot connected to the live servers. The performance we experienced was great. But that's just one data point.

So I'm also quite interested to know what performance other users experienced in the hall...

The con had a $15 dollar a day WiFi service. By all accounts, to describe it as terrible would have been an upgrade from the actual experience. Data dropouts and disconnects, as well as connection failures, were rife. GenCon is talking about relocation unless the Hall does some serious tech upgrades.
LazarX is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 12th, 2018, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazarX View Post
The con had a $15 dollar a day WiFi service. By all accounts, to describe it as terrible would have been an upgrade from the actual experience. Data dropouts and disconnects, as well as connection failures, were rife. GenCon is talking about relocation unless the Hall does some serious tech upgrades.
That sounds bad. It also differs from the report of someone else in another thread that sounded like the WiFi performance was reasonable. I wish I remembered where that post was, since I'd like to re-check it to make sure I didn't misread it, but I can't remember the thread at this point.
rob is offline   #7 Reply With Quote