Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Lord

Old August 9th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Hi all,
I would like to ask two questions, if there are no answeres, then I suggest them as feature requests:

1. copy a power/feat/journal entry from one character to the other.

2. have the option to move a power up/down the list. this has two reasons: the first is to enable extracting a power from alternate/linked and other powers to the main powers to to drag it into such power. second: to make the powers listed with reason and not alphabetically.

3. having the option to make a power cost 0. Explain: I would like to make a dog. the book's dog is not good enough for me. I would like to add limb to the dog, but it is mostly useless (Tail) so I want it as a 0 cost power. I also have a character using the Variable power with lasting extra and he activates several powers on himself that last long. I would like to see them calculated at the "statistical" part of the page (bonus to save, defense, attack, abilities, skills) but I dont want it to cost him points, since he uses the variable power to make them. so I want to make an array of powers that will cost nothing and will reflect his use of variable power.

Thanks,
Lord is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 10th, 2010, 03:21 AM
For (3), isn't that what the Power Settings part of the Variable is for?
Duggan is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Lord

Old August 10th, 2010, 04:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
For (3), isn't that what the Power Settings part of the Variable is for?
the power setting limits the optional bonuses to a certain score. the variable, using the slow fade, can make many more effects active on the character.
Lord is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old August 10th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Ah, so your character turns on his Variable power, adds certain powers... and then adds more with a second application of his Variable power? It seems like that violates the flaw part of Lasting, but eh.

As for "zero cost powers" you may be able to do those with the Custom flaws. I don't have my copy of the software in front of me, though, so I can't really say for certain.
Duggan is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Lord

Old August 10th, 2010, 05:14 AM
Quote:
Ah, so your character turns on his Variable power, adds certain powers... and then adds more with a second application of his Variable power? It seems like that violates the flaw part of Lasting, but eh.

As for "zero cost powers" you may be able to do those with the Custom flaws. I don't have my copy of the software in front of me, though, so I can't really say for certain.
Well, actually it's the main villain (supposed to have answer to everything the party throws at him).
I used the custom, but it doesnt reduce below 1, so what I did is use the array power (calling it "virtual"), with custom modifier reducing it to 1, then I reduced the variable power by one with a comment that the 1 point reduction is for the array of variable powers.

this solution gave me what I needed, but it's not a "nice" one.
thanks for the help.
Lord is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old August 10th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Well, actually it's the main villain (supposed to have answer to everything the party throws at him).
I used the custom, but it doesnt reduce below 1, so what I did is use the array power (calling it "virtual"), with custom modifier reducing it to 1, then I reduced the variable power by one with a comment that the 1 point reduction is for the array of variable powers.

this solution gave me what I needed, but it's not a "nice" one.
thanks for the help.
HL doesn't/shouldn't allow a power to cost zero because I (and no doubt others) were flies in the ointment and reminded Colen that HL shouldn't reduce the cost below a minimum of 1pp due to the published rules stating that no matter what Power Flaws or Power Drawbacks a person layers onto a power their character has, the cost can never be less than 1pp. I've cited the page numbers elsewhere in previous comments to this Forum in case people want to look that up.

So by intentional design of the game mechanics there is no such thing as a free lunch. I'm fine with that.

I suppose if you absolutely had to have a "freebie" or two you could "offset" that cost by putting a Custom Character Drawback on the character to compensate for the power points that "shouldn't have been spent on a power that (the GM) wanted to be free."

Nigel Fogg, aka The Wayfarer

Last edited by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer; August 10th, 2010 at 01:20 PM.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old August 10th, 2010, 08:35 PM
By the by, since pp aren't limited for NPCs why are you so worried about his pp totals? Especially for what's essentially a plot device power?
Duggan is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Lord

Old August 10th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Quote:
By the by, since pp aren't limited for NPCs why are you so worried about his pp totals? Especially for what's essentially a plot device power?
I usually limit NPC's just as I limit PCs. I dont think some characters should work by a different rules set. even if they are "none player" ones.
Lord is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old August 11th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
I usually limit NPC's just as I limit PCs. I dont think some characters should work by a different rules set. even if they are "none player" ones.
I can definitely respect that. But the power you're trying to model with these lasting powersets more or less explicitly allows him to bypass the pp limits anyhow, so isn't it all a bit moot trying to "keep him under the pp total"?
Duggan is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Lord

Old August 11th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Quote:
I can definitely respect that. But the power you're trying to model with these lasting powersets more or less explicitly allows him to bypass the pp limits anyhow, so isn't it all a bit moot trying to "keep him under the pp total"?
the power has several disadvantages, as we reduce several options such as the number of free actions per round and reduce the number of attacks to one per power (so characters with several attacking powers reduced to "free action" can make several attacks).

I agree that he is stronger that the common PC, but he has limits too.
Lord is offline   #10 Reply With Quote